Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    xnd57qc6c3wv.gif
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm curious...
    Would people who join Planet Fitness due to their "No intimidation" and "No judgements" advertisement feel comfortable at Crunch Fitness gyms?
    Crunch Fitness also advertises being a "No Judgements" gym (has that written on the walls too), but without the rules Planet Fitness seems to have. No lunk alarm, you can squat, deadlift... It's also the same price as Planet Fitness.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    I'm curious...
    Would people who join Planet Fitness due to their "No intimidation" and "No judgements" advertisement feel comfortable at Crunch Fitness gyms?
    Crunch Fitness also advertises being a "No Judgements" gym (has that written on the walls too), but without the rules Planet Fitness seems to have. No lunk alarm, you can squat, deadlift... It's also the same price as Planet Fitness.

I used to go to PF and changed over to Crunch. Mainly because I moved and Crunch is closer. Plus they have rowing machines, which PF does not. You're right about the lack of an "in your face" no judgment" approach as well. I don't really care if someone drops their weight of clangs a machine as long as nobody is being hurt and the machines aren't abused.

I also find the people at Crunch to be more helpful and there's a good mix of people, from super weight lifter types all the way to, well, people like me.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have to ask - what's the problem with big water containers? I've never noticed anyone carrying around a big jug of water, but I wouldn't have paid any attention before this thread. I had no idea it was a thing.

The backwash.

Tripping hazard?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2018
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    To anyone who may have been living in an advertising wasteland and has missed the fact that PF's marketing campaign negatively targets what they call "lunks" - this one's for you:

https://youtu.be/yhDcjlYrwmQ

PS: No dog in this fight, either. I workout at home. Methinks their "Judgement Free Zone" campaign is merely a watered-down version of the same premise, though.

The narrative of all the PF ads I've seen posted on this thread (versus the ones I see on TV, which focus on low price and 24/7 hours) is

Prospective Customer: My experience or belief about gyms is horrible and absurd thing X. [Lunk alarm is part of anecdote/reminiscene of prospective customer]
    PF employee trying to make a sale: That won't happen to you here. We're not a gym.

Not sure what TV you're seeing but all the national ads I've seen are the videos posted here which don't mention cost or hours. There may be some local ads that just focus on price and 24 hours (probably the case as not all PFs are 24/7). The national ads I've seen all start with examples of what PF considers examples stereotyped "lunk" behavior. Next, they show the perspective PF member in an almost confessional tone talking to the PF employee who looks at and talks to them like the employee is a grief counselor.

Not sure what you're trying to imply. I see TV that travels over airwaves licensed to broadcasters. I have been watching TV for many years. I have never seen a PF "lunk alarm" ad. Just ads that focus on prices and 24/7 access. I'm in the U.S., so maybe these national ads you speak of are for some other nation?

I am watching US ads, broadcast TV. The PF videos posted on this thread are the exact ads I'm seeing. Have never seen one that talks about their hours.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm curious...

I wish we had one near us. My son has taken an interest in weight lifting, and right now what we have at home suits him fine, and I know enough to coach him on form (we use one of the beginner programs from a thread on here for him, I won't attempt programming!). But I'm sure he'll outgrow our set up eventually. A cheap gym would be nice. He's only 16, it would need to be something that would allow that.

ETA: I just looked. There's one opening soon about 15 minutes from us.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have to ask - what's the problem with big water containers? I've never noticed anyone carrying around a big jug of water, but I wouldn't have paid any attention before this thread. I had no idea it was a thing.

The backwash.

Tripping hazard?

Nevermind
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    I'm curious...

I wish we had one near us. My son has taken an interest in weight lifting, and right now what we have at home suits him fine, and I know enough to coach him on form (we use one of the beginner programs from a thread on here for him, I won't attempt programming!). But I'm sure he'll outgrow our set up eventually. A cheap gym would be nice. He's only 16, it would need to be something that would allow that.

I joined one that opened near me online, but then when I went to check it out the location wasn't good (good thing I chose the no contract option). I drive to the gym and it was in a downtown area where parking is expensive and not too easy to find, and it was on the 3rd floor of a mall in a corner - Call me lazy, but I don't want to have that much work just to get in to the gym.
    I also found the several page questionnaire I was supposed to fill out before the free training session to be a turn off when I had no interest in personal training - No idea if every Crunch location gives that questionnaire or it was just that one.

If you don't mind the questionnaire and yours is in a decent location, it seems like a pretty good gym for the price, though.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm curious...

I joined one that opened near me online, but then when I went to check it out the location wasn't good (good thing I chose the no contract option). I drive to the gym and it was in a downtown area where parking is expensive and not too easy to find, and it was on the 3rd floor of a mall in a corner - Call me lazy, but I don't want to have that much work just to get in to the gym.
    I also found the several page questionnaire I was supposed to fill out before the free training session to be a turn off when I had no interest in personal training - No idea if every Crunch location gives that questionnaire or it was just that one.

If you don't mind the questionnaire and yours is in a decent location, it seems like a pretty good gym for the price, though.

I live in suburbia. It's going to be in a shopping center full of strip centers with anchor stores. It's a traffic hassle, but there's plenty of parking.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    To anyone who may have been living in an advertising wasteland and has missed the fact that PF's marketing campaign negatively targets what they call "lunks" - this one's for you:

PS: No dog in this fight, either. I workout at home. Methinks their "Judgement Free Zone" campaign is merely a watered-down version of the same premise, though.

The narrative of all the PF ads I've seen posted on this thread (versus the ones I see on TV, which focus on low price and 24/7 hours) is

Prospective Customer: My experience or belief about gyms is horrible and absurd thing X. [Lunk alarm is part of anecdote/reminiscene of prospective customer]
    PF employee trying to make a sale: That won't happen to you here. We're not a gym.

Not sure what TV you're seeing but all the national ads I've seen are the videos posted here which don't mention cost or hours. There may be some local ads that just focus on price and 24 hours (probably the case as not all PFs are 24/7). The national ads I've seen all start with examples of what PF considers examples stereotyped "lunk" behavior. Next, they show the perspective PF member in an almost confessional tone talking to the PF employee who looks at and talks to them like the employee is a grief counselor.

Not sure what you're trying to imply. I see TV that travels over airwaves licensed to broadcasters. I have been watching TV for many years. I have never seen a PF "lunk alarm" ad. Just ads that focus on prices and 24/7 access. I'm in the U.S., so maybe these national ads you speak of are for some other nation?

Keep in mind, even if you watch a lot of television, it's unlikely that you're watching all shows on all channels at the same time. It's possible that there may be ads that you haven't seen.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Keep in mind, even if you watch a lot of television, it's unlikely that you're watching all shows on all channels at the same time. It's possible that there may be ads that you haven't seen.

I'm aware of that. I just keep getting push back on the idea that in my experience these "lunk alarm" ads are not only not the dominant form of PF advertising, they are so rare that I have not seen them. Maybe the people who see them all the time are watching a lot of live sports or ... reality shows or ... cable TV? Things I don't watch much. Interesting if the first category were the one where PF is disproportionately running those kinds of ads -- I wonder why they would think the demographic they would appeal to would be folks watching live sports ...
  • janejellyroll

I'm aware of that. I just keep getting push back on the idea that in my experience these "lunk alarm" ads are not only not the dominant form of PF advertising, they are so rare that I have not seen them. Maybe the people who see them all the time are watching a lot of live sports or ... reality shows or ... cable TV? Things I don't watch much. Interesting if the first category were the one where PF is disproportionately running those kinds of ads -- I wonder why they would think the demographic they would appeal to would be folks watching live sports ...

Live sports, reality shows, and overall cable TV are a huge part of what people are watching so it makes sense that people don't watch much of them wouldn't have seen the ads.

I can't be sure where I have seen them, but I think it was probably during live sports (most of the TV in my household is either live sports or local news). As to why they would run the ads there, many people watch live sports and the ads don't break down as cleanly as one might think. You seen ads for household cleaners, toys, wine, Old Navy jeans . . . it's not just beer and pizza (not that you were arguing that).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2018

Live sports, reality shows, and overall cable TV are a huge part of what people are watching so it makes sense that people don't watch much of them wouldn't have seen the ads.

I can't be sure where I have seen them, but I think it was probably during live sports (most of the TV in my household is either live sports or local news). As to why they would run the ads there, many people watch live sports and the ads don't break down as cleanly as one might think. You seen ads for household cleaners, toys, wine, Old Navy jeans . . . it's not just beer and pizza (not that you were arguing that).

I have never seen them and watch sports almost exclusively, but a lot of the time it is on a DVR delay to avoid commercials, so it is totally possible that I am fast forwarding past PF commercials.

It is interesting if PF targets sports and reality TV shows, because that would seem to be audiences less likely to be intimidated by gyms (generally). That reinforces my belief that pricing and convenience are the real focus of the PF marketing message and that the "no intimidation" angle just draws attention.

• janejellyroll
    To add, contrast the branding of PF to the branding of a place like Curves. In a Curves ad, you also see an appeal to people who feel they may be intimidated or confused by a "traditional gym," but they get around this by showing women having fun and reaching their goals *within Curves*. It's a positive image of what happens there that doesn't attempt to get there by telling people other gyms are bad places.

(Note: There may be Curves ads that don't fit this template and trash other gyms. If so, I haven't seen them).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2018

I have never seen them and watch sports almost exclusively, but a lot of the time it is on a DVR delay to avoid commercials, so it is totally possible that I am fast forwarding past PF commercials.

It is interesting if PF targets sports and reality TV shows, because that would seem to be audiences less likely to be intimidated by gyms (generally). That reinforces my belief that pricing and convenience are the real focus of the PF marketing message and that the "no intimidation" angle just draws attention.

It's also possible that PF uses different marketing strategies in different areas of the country.

In either case, if a company is using ads to "draw attention," it's clear that it is a conscious part of their branding even if a portion of their ads don't use that particular approach. I don't think we have to agree that the *majority* of PF's ads are focused on how unpleasant other gyms in order to discuss whether or not we think it's an appropriate message. An unpleasant or inappropriate message isn't somehow erased if some other messages are pleasant or appropriate.

Distinguishing yourself from your competition is Marketing 101. "We don't freeze our beef" "We don't' charge annual fees on our credit cards" "We don't charge for bags on our airline". Etc. There is nothing unpleasant or inappropriate about stating that you don't tolerate intimidation.

My kid's hockey team has a complete list of behaviors that parents and players shall or shall not do, and if you don't agree to abide by these rules, you don't play for this team. Is it unpleasant or inappropriate to clearly outline and enforce acceptable behavior, or is that an affront to the other youth hockey programs that allow parents to scream at the kids, bang on the glass, and verbally abuse refs or the kids to cheapshot other kids?

If the message is "you should play for this team because you will encounter [negative behavior] on the others," I would consider that potentially inappropriate (if it wasn't accurate). Touting your own product is fine. Unfairly dragging other products isn't.

If PF simply stated their rules and guidelines, I don't think this thread would exist. The issue is the picture they paint of other gyms. Keep in mind that in their ads centered on the "no judgement" theme, they aren't showing what is happening in PF. They're actively painting a negative picture of the customers of other gyms.

So if my kid’s hockey team decided to make an instructional video depicting hockey parents (not of a specific team) cartoonishly behaving awfully in order to show what not to do, should all the other hockey teams on our schedule feel offended? If a team we played did that I can't see how I would be offended unless I saw something of myself in that video. If I saw something of myself in that video, then maybe it is time to reevaluate my behavior.