Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    What would be wrong with milk in coffee? It's basically a lower cal version of cream (and personally I always preferred milk -- I drink coffee black now, but used to put milk in it, never sugar as coffee for me is not supposed to be sweet).

I just heard that cows milk has more sugar in it. And that cream is better because of the fat..or almond milk because its lower in cals/sugar..guess it all depends but..it seems like no one really cares about that aha

Milk has lactose which is a naturally occurring sugar...fruit and vegetables also have sugar. A lower % milk will have more lactose because the processing requires a greater volume of milk to be used as fat is skimmed off to get the final product.

Actually, it's not how much is skimmed off, but how much they add back. I watched a How It's Made video on this (that I can't find) and was interested to see they make skim milk and then add back to make 1%, 2% etc.

Just thought it was interesting and doesn't change your point in any way.

I would imagine that even when bottling (or "cartoning") "whole" milk, there's some monkeying with how much cream is included, as different breeds of cow, on different feeds, at different times relative to calving, are going to give whole milk with different fat content, but they want the product on the grocery shelves to be consistent year-round, year in, year out.

But none of this changes the point that lactose is naturally occurring, and dairy bottlers aren't manipulating sugar content in standard dairy milk (barring lactose-free products, chocolate milk, etc.).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    I have long preferred plenty of skimmed milk in my coffee (nonfat latte, yum) even when obese. At home, I make a couple of big mugs of coffee daily, each with 3/4C of hot skimmed milk. Not only is it tasty, to me, but since I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I find the roughly 12g protein for 120-some calories to be quite helpful in meeting my 100g daily protein goal. Double win!

As someone of Northern European ancestry, I have zero problems with digesting milk, so I see no reason not to drink it. I lost weight just fine, dropped my cholesterol and blood pressure in to the healthy range, while eating all kinds of dairy (even full-fat cheeses).

As far as cream vs. milk, it's not going to make a huge difference in the amounts normal people (not me) normally put in their coffee. We need to eat some fats every day (0.35-0.45g minimum per pound of goal weight IMO), and some of them certainly can be saturated fats.

If it fits in your calories, it makes you happy, and your overall way of eating gives you well-rounded nutrition, use the cream or milk. It's fine. Losing weight is not about substituting dubiously "more healthy" things for foods you enjoy, until you're miserable. That's the "being fat is sin, and dietary misery is expiation" model of weight loss, and it's pure nonsense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Baileys is the answer.

Only in hot chocolate!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Used half and half and switched to 1%. Noticed it for a week or two. I do notice when I go back to half and half though.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Different people have different goals with nutrition. My sister is doing DASH diet for hypertension and her doctor encouraged low-fat dairy. However I’ve heard from a few doing a Paleo who are avoiding dairy altogether. For me... I like milk. I drink it. I eat cheese. I eat yogurt. Sometimes I put milk in my coffee. I track the calories and I’ve been losing weight just fine.

My goals include 2-3 daily servings of low-fat dairy. IMO if you don’t like almond milk, stop drinking it. You get to choose how you want to spend your calories. You get to choose your nutrition goals.

I’ve never tried almond milk. I’m just not interested in it.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered Almond Milk? It's light on the calories (about 30 per cup vs. 315/cup half and half or 102 calories in a cup of 1% milk). It does take a little to get used to it but it's all I have now.

Did you ever consider reading the whole post before commenting? OP stated she doesn't like the taste of almond milk.

Krista, if I want to spend the $$$ for heavy cream, the I drink it in my coffee at home. If I am feeling cheap, and I usually am, I drink half and half at home. Work provides half and half, so that's what I drink there.

I drink 4-5 mugs of coffee a day, so 80-100 calories. I would rather have creamy coffee than candy. Only you can decide what you want to use your calories to enjoy. Good luck!!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just a tiny splash of 1/2 and 1/2 add enough smoothness to make coffee awesome.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Baileys is the answer.

I like your style! aha