Treadmill not found in the exercises database in MFP

Options
How come the normal treadmill is not listed on this site? The closest one I found is the stair climber listed as "Stair-treadmill ergometer, general" here.

I do treadmill on a daily basis, and would really want it to be listed here. Can anyone help pls?

Thanks

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    You input the exercise you do on the treadmill.

If you run, you input running. If you walk, you input walking. If you do a combination of the two, well, you do a combination of the two.

The idea is that it doesn't matter if you're running on a treadmill or out on the street, if you're running the same pace, then it's the same exercise.
  • bismillah111
    bismillah111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everybody for your valuable input! Highly appreciated.

I walk on the tread mill at about 6.2 speed level for max 15 minutes and do elliptical for 5 -10 minutes as well every day, total cardio not exceeding 20 minutes a day as I am a beginner at the gym. I used to work out before but only aerobic dances and have started using the machines from this week only.

I will use walking in MFP now. Yes, I don’t eat back the calories I burn on the treadmill. Infact I think I don’t even eat the required calories as suggested by MFP.

Regards,
  • bismillah111
    Options
    I would really want to eat the prescribed amount of calories, however I am not too sure as I estimate the weights of the foods I eat. Also, I get full with the current volume of food I am taking, so i don't eat after I get full.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    I would really want to eat the prescribed amount of calories, however I am not too sure as I estimate the weights of the foods I eat. Also, I get full with the current volume of food I am taking, so i don't eat after I get full.

Buy a food scale. Take the guesswork out of it.
  • bismillah111
    Options
    I will : ) Thanks!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    erikayblue wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Do you run or walk?

Both running and walking are listed.

running/walking on the treadmill does not burn the same number of calories as running/walking at the same speed on the ground. Not even close enough to use one for the other. When I walk on the ground at the same pace as compared to the treadmill, my body is way more stressed. The treadmill does part of the work for you. You're not propelling your own body weight in the same way.

To OP, I don't believe calorie burn estimates are all that accurate anyway so it might be a moot point. If you exercise regularly, I would just change your settings to show lightly active or active – whichever you think is the case rather than sedentary and that should adjust your calorie goals enough without having to input every time you exercise. Unless you are eating super low calorie it's unlikely that you need to add in any extra calories to compensate for the treadmill.

Exercise is amazing for your health – don't get me wrong. But as far as weight loss goes, diet is waaaaaay more important. And if you add in extra calories for every calorie you think you're burning at the gym, you may end up stalling yourself quite a bit. The calorie burn estimates here or especially on the machine itself can be way off.

It’s only a 3-7% difference. I burned around 400 calories on my run yesterday. Accounting for the treadmill vs outdoor difference that’s only a 12-28 calorie difference. Hardly enough to say they aren’t close enough to say you can’t use the same entry for them. And if you bump the incline up to 1% there is not a difference.

Obviously the longer a run becomes, the bigger the difference but you do really have to get up there in calories burned for it to start making a big difference.
  • bismillah111
    Options
    I think i will stick to the elliptical rather than the treadmill, i feel i am putting more effort on the elliptical than the treadmill (even at speed 6.2!)