WAT DO I DO NOW?!?!

Options
So my goal is to lose weight. I only have 5kg to lose. I’ve been eating 1400 cals for past 2 weeks and been working out really well. Today I was out with my parents for lunch and they ordered Nasi goreng (thai Fried rice) and Pattaya noodles (thai noodles). They had a lot of oils and stuff. At the end they ordered desserts which were chocolate based. I couldn’t say no to them so I just ate. I felt so guilty. I Defo went over my maintenance. Idk how much I exactly ate. I ate so much!!!!!!!!! I feel bad!!!! I may have eaten about 3000-4000 cals. Or more... idk

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First, try to relax. Sounds like you had a very nice meal with your parents, hopefully got to enjoy what you ate and their company. Now, move on and continue what you have been doing before. I wouldn't try to "fix" it or restrict, just go back to normal. Sure you may not lose as much this week, but in the grand scheme it is just a blip in time. Learning how to deal with family dinners and indulgent meals and get back on the wagon will be the true lesson to be learned.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would add to all the excellent responses you've already received - learning to eat well in situations like this are a valuable life skill. Not knowing your family dynamics, but I can certainly understand how you might feel like you had to eat everything your parents ordered. But did you "have" to eat 3000 calories worth? Are you over-restricting yourself normally, so when yummy food is set in front of you you overreact and stuff yourself? Are you using other people's expectations as an excuse for why you can't stay on plan? Are you willing to practice eating a bit more on special occasions without going overboard?

There is nothing wrong with every once and awhile throwing caution to the wind and deciding to eat more than usual, assuming you are able to get back on plan right away and not carry any guilt. But if that happens often, or if you go overboard often and then panic, it can leave you in a bad cycle of over-restrict, over-indulge, over-restrict, over-indulge. Finding the balance and figuring out how often you can have a "special occasion" and how far off plan you can go is a learning process.

Regardless of what your answers to these questions are, one day is not going to physically affect much of anything. Just get back to eating at your deficit, learn from the experience, and keep on going :smile:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    1. Log everything anyway. Even if it's a ballpark guess. Sometimes when I log it, the damage is not as bad as I anticipated and I feel better than I would have burying my head in the sand. Even if it's just as bad as I feared, I feel better for owning it.

2. Use this as a learning opportunity for how to react better next time. Could you have eaten less? Grabbed your stomach, groaned exaggeratedly, and refused dessert because 'I'm just soooo full!'? One meal every now and then won't derail you (if you don't let it) but knowing how to cope with situations out of your comfort zone is a valuable skill.

3. Chin up, today is a new day.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You enjoy the meal and experience. That’s what you do. I’m sure you’re not gonna be on your deathbed some day and think “darn I wish I never ate that meal with my parents”
    Enjoy life and those moments then get back on track to your goals.