What changes can I expect with a new routine? Do I need to add or reconsider anything?

Options
Hello!
Short background: I'm 26 years old, female, I've never been fit but my BMI has always been on the lower side of the "good BMI range". I get out of breath after 10 seconds of running (I can run for a minute, but then I am quite knocked out afterwards). I'm also weak, I can do a few pushups and I can carry things around, I can walk for hours, but I'm rather frail. The last few years I haven't moved around that much, I usually just sit by my computer.

I've decided to "get healthy", not that I am sick now, but it's basically an attempt to be nice to my body and prevent future issues. I've been doing tai chi and yoga for about a month (not sure how much those do body-wise, but I really enjoy them), and now I will start with some body weight exercises. I've picked the "beginner body weight circuit workout" by nerd fitness to go by, it was linked in a thread in the gaining weight/body building section of the forum. It sounds like the right level to start at for me and I know how to do all the steps.
I'm guessing one session will take me around 20 minutes, I will warm up before and stretch afterwards.

I have counted on a smoothie covering the extra calories on the days I work out. I would like to do the body weight exercises maybe 5-6 days a week, but if I have to rest every other day it would probably be 3 days a week.

Now to the questions:
How fast can I expect change to happen? I know it takes a long time for muscle to build, but what is realistic? When would a weakling like me "feel" change?
I should only eat enough calories to cover the exercise, right?
When I do such a "light" lifting routine, do I still need to have every other day off to let the muscles rest?
Would it be beneficial for me to start running? I will start taking walks every day and try to do more productive things than watching youtube videos, but would actually running be beneficial?

Thanks for any answers!

Replies

• CitrusMaiden
    CitrusMaiden Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! 3 days it is then :smile: I guess I could aim at starting to run in the spring, by then I should be quite comfortable with this new routine, and any snow (more likely slush) would be gone.

I will do my best to try to make this work.
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, lorrpb! You've had amazing progress!

I hope I will notice some type of progress after a few weeks, I don't care what it is, maybe just feeling a little better in general? I'm more than alright with it taking longer than that, but I almost wish that I had problem areas that I could judge improvement on ... I suppose I should be happy that I start now, before I have those.
    I suppose I could count the number of pushups I can do, or something else like that. :smile:
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Did you download the Nerd Fitness spreadsheet? Keeping track of your workouts will let you see your progress.
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options
    Barfly57 wrote: »
    Did you download the Nerd Fitness spreadsheet? Keeping track of your workouts will let you see your progress.

I don't think I did, no. I bookmarked the video and read what they had on the page the link lead to. Is it the one they call "beginner bodyweight routine worksheet"? I didn't pay much attention to those before since they looked a bit like ads.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's the one.
    Nerd Fitness is pretty good about ads; they'll try to get you to sign up for their premium content, but that's about all.
    The best way - in my opinion - to make progress is to find a structured program that you like and stick with it for at least 6 months, then reevaluate.
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options
    Alright, thank you for the tip :)