Nervous but determined

Hi, it's nice to meet you all! I'm Elise, I'm 26 and I live in the UK. I've struggled with eating disorders in the past and am still having trouble with binge eating, hence the need to lose a substantial amount of weight now. I'm gonna do it the healthy way this time, though, so I could use some support - I'm a bit nervous! Gonna do my best though. 😊

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hi, it's nice to meet you all! I'm Elise, I'm 26 and I live in the UK. I've struggled with eating disorders in the past and am still having trouble with binge eating, hence the need to lose a substantial amount of weight now. I'm gonna do it the healthy way this time, though, so I could use some support - I'm a bit nervous! Gonna do my best though. 😊

nervous about what?
  • scribblefrog
    scribblefrog Posts: 16 Member

nervous about what?

Like I said, I've had eating disorders in the past, and sometimes counting calories has sparked me into stupid actions like fasting for a month, as happened earlier this year. I've also failed many times while attempting to lose weight over the past few years, due to binge eating disorder; so I'm nervous about either failing, or getting too obsessed with cutting calories. If I keep an eye on both of those vulnerabilities, though, hopefully I'll be okay.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

nervous about what?

Like I said, I've had eating disorders in the past, and sometimes counting calories has sparked me into stupid actions like fasting for a month, as happened earlier this year. I've also failed many times while attempting to lose weight over the past few years, due to binge eating disorder; so I'm nervous about either failing, or getting too obsessed with cutting calories. If I keep an eye on both of those vulnerabilities, though, hopefully I'll be okay.

then you should maybe speak to your doctor before deciding on calorie counting as your best strategy for getting more healthy.
  • scribblefrog

nervous about what?

then you should maybe speak to your doctor before deciding on calorie counting as your best strategy for getting more healthy.

I spoke to my doctor and she recommended calorie counting. Thanks for the welcoming and supportive reply. 🙄

That's great then. Not sure where the attitude is coming from when I'm only trying to help, but ok.

Good luck on your journey.

Sorry, I read your reply as somewhat of an attack. Glad to hear it wasn't meant that way.
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Welcome! Great job taking control :)
  • oimullett
    oimullett Posts: 48 Member
    Welcome and good luck :)
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    You can do this
  • burnthatfatamy1
    burnthatfatamy1 Posts: 13 Member
    Wishing you luck👍 Sounds like your in control, just talk for support to anyone if things start to get to much again❤️ Going to follow.
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Yup, totally get it..! But you can power through!

Keep your goals small to start so as not to overwhelm yourself or feel defeated when you can’t meet huge goals.. if that makes sense! I’ve found it helps to make several small goals that lead me to a bigger goal. I struggle with with binge eating and binge fasting as well.. just have to find the goals somewhere in the middle there.

Always here with a listening ear! As are many other fantastic folks on here. :star:
  • newhopeind
    newhopeind Posts: 34 Member
    You’ll see Toad reply to a lot of things. Is a very “dry” person, but he is well intentioned. He, like a lot of us, have seen some unhealthy behaviors and I’m sure he just wanted to make sure you do things the healthy way!

As for me, if you’re looking for a new friend then I’d love to help support you! I have substantial weight to lose too and this app has been incredibly helpful at getting started.

Congrats on the new outlook on life!
  • scribblefrog
    Welcome! Great job taking control :)

Thanks!! I want to stick to it this time :)
  • scribblefrog
    oimullett wrote: »
    Welcome and good luck :)

Thank you! :D
  • scribblefrog
    You can do this

Hope so! 😊
  • scribblefrog
    Wishing you luck👍 Sounds like your in control, just talk for support to anyone if things start to get to much again❤️ Going to follow.

Thank you, and thanks for the follow! ❤️ I really appreciate the support on here
  • scribblefrog
    Yup, totally get it..! But you can power through!

Keep your goals small to start so as not to overwhelm yourself or feel defeated when you can’t meet huge goals.. if that makes sense! I’ve found it helps to make several small goals that lead me to a bigger goal. I struggle with with binge eating and binge fasting as well.. just have to find the goals somewhere in the middle there.

Always here with a listening ear! As are many other fantastic folks on here. :star:

Thank you!! It's good to hear that I'm not alone with eating problems on here. Makes me feel less weird 😊
    That's a good idea! I've set an initial small goal, and I was gonna write out some others, too. I'll do that now.
  • scribblefrog
    newhopeind wrote: »
    You’ll see Toad reply to a lot of things. Is a very “dry” person, but he is well intentioned. He, like a lot of us, have seen some unhealthy behaviors and I’m sure he just wanted to make sure you do things the healthy way!

As for me, if you’re looking for a new friend then I’d love to help support you! I have substantial weight to lose too and this app has been incredibly helpful at getting started.

Congrats on the new outlook on life!

I'm sure he is, I've messaged him with an apology - I took his comment as criticism, when really I was just feeling defensive because I'm new here. It was a good question for him to ask.

Thank you, friends are always great!! Perhaps the support system is what I've been missing from my previous attempts, I haven't really posted in the community before.

Same to you! Good luck on your journey! :)
  • fittnessing64
    fittnessing64 Posts: 62 Member
    Welcome! I've also had an eating disorder in the past and am trying to be a bit healthier lately. Good luck at all this!
  • megsCA
    megsCA Posts: 42 Member
    You will rock it this time! Good Luck on your Goals! Feel free to add me as Friend!
  • Katy2Survivor
    Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
    You got this ! We all have fears. But you need to know that Beating the fear is just a step towards something amazing.You are strong enough! Just look deep in yourself and there you will find strength that was always there you just had to find it.Good luck ! Feel free to add me 😊
  • Katy2Survivor
    Katy2Survivor Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2018
    Not the topic but your picture is really funny 😂 @MrTee1986
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    MrTee1986 wrote: »
    Welcome to the MFP boards where 89% of people are inherently rude.

You can do it, have faith and know your journey is a marathon not a sprint.

I think it’s sometimes more of a “dry typing” and misinterpreting on here. Not that there aren’t difficult, icky users, but you spot them and ignore them. Keep to the supportive lot, which is a majority in my experience, and you’re golden! :star:
  • GeoffWest
    GeoffWest Posts: 3 Member

There’s nothing to be nervous about, I myself binge ate for years, I started my journey a while back and have never looked back, we all have a relapsed at one point or another but picked ourselves up and started again the next day

I think this community are really helpful and support each other through every step 😊
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    nwoutdoorgrl Posts: 168 Member
    You got this girl! I too have struggled with binge eating for many years. I am sorry you have struggled with it as well. I’ll add you. :)
  • or3lsims92
    or3lsims92 Posts: 3 Member
    Sounds like you got the right idea. I think acknowledging your past weaknesses is the first step towards being stronger in the future. I wish you best of luck. We are all in this together! I am also nervous starting this journey, as most people would not even believe I need to diet, but this is a way for me to be healthy and be happy about the way I look and avoid emotional eating (as well as emotional not-eating! Want to treat food just like it is- necessary fuel for my body!) :)
  • hannahmilligan666
    hannahmilligan666 Posts: 14 Member
    Feel free to add me! X
  • scribblefrog
    I know this thread is old now, and I don't want to bump a dead thread - but thank you all so much for your support :') I really, really appreciate it.
  • Rocoup
    Rocoup Posts: 669 Member
    Hey hey. the binge is the killer! I know hopefully you can make all your goals:) good luck