There are two kinds of gym-goers

JeepHair77
JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
Those who are forever looking for a "workout buddy" and need to join the gym with a friend. Some sort of misery loves company philosophy. Some of them are a little aggressively friendly, saving you a bag so you can be kickboxing partners, inviting you to the spinning class, etc.

And there are those who go to great lengths to avoid interaction, timing their workouts for the slowest part of the day, hopeful that they won't have to see a single human being. If the gym is crowded, we'll probably choose to go for an outdoor run instead. We even wear our headphones when the battery is dead, as an outward signal of our anti-social approach to all things fitness.

I fit into the latter. Which one are you?

Replies

• stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    I am the latter to the point where I cancelled my gym membership because ew people
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    I am somewhere in the middle. I enjoy smiling, waving, and saying hi to the regulars I see. I might even give a "nice job" to the newbie crashed on the floor spent.

But for the most part I enjoy lifting alone with headphones and then getting my ipad and watching something on NetFlix while I run.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I prefer to workout alone in my home gym.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Umm the middle ground. I go to classes and talk to people but I don't need somebody else to go to the gym with me. In fact I prefer to go by myself and If somebody I know is there that's great if not well that's fine too. I have health goals and I will do what it takes to accomplish them other people or not.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    I definitely prefer to be alone, which is why I have a home gym. Haven't been to a public gym in almost 20 years.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited December 2018
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Those who are forever looking for a "workout buddy" and need to join the gym with a friend. Some sort of misery loves company philosophy. Some of them are a little aggressively friendly, saving you a bag so you can be kickboxing partners, inviting you to the spinning class, etc.

And there are those who go to great lengths to avoid interaction, timing their workouts for the slowest part of the day, hopeful that they won't have to see a single human being. If the gym is crowded, we'll probably choose to go for an outdoor run instead. We even wear our headphones when the battery is dead, as an outward signal of our anti-social approach to all things fitness.

:D Ditto - ALL of this is me. The only person I've never minded working out with, is my sister. She doesn't feel like someone else; A familiar. We sync well in stride and sprint and volleys etc, where I'm not having to tell her a thing. She just gets it - from a look. When working out in any bed of water though, I follow the leader - her. Otherwise, for my safety and sanity, I much prefer my own company.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    k8eekins wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

:D Ditto - ALL of this is me. The only person I've never minded working out with, is my sister. She doesn't feel like someone else; A familiar.

Yup! Another vote for alone or with my sister. She knows when I need silence and can move at my pace, depending on my mood.

With anyone else, a learning curve acclimatisation needs activation akin to team sports mindsetc training.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,090 Member
    I’m the 2nd for sure
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    E.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Prefer to be alone

Easy, Garbo.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    My gym is rarely crowded...it isn't open to the public and the people who are working out there are working with one of the trainers. There are only a handful of us that have "executive memberships" and can come and go as we please.

I wouldn't fall into either category. I don't need a workout partner, but I do socialize to some extent at the gym. I've been going there for 3 or 4 years now and I've met a lot of my fitness friends at the gym. I'll chat with people between sets, etc.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    I love people, and like to connect with the regulars at the gym, to catch up and encourage people. But I cannot have a “workout buddy”. I am dead serious about my workouts and super focused. Once the work starts, it’s “do not disturb”.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I work out alone, usually at 5am for gym workouts. I also do cardio alone at lunch. Others are welcome to join me, but they prefer to sleep in the morning and eat during lunch for some reason...
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    For the most part I am a go-aloner. I don't avoid people but I do like to go in, turn up my music and do my *kitten*, alone. I will be cordial to others while there.

I like to go with friends occasionally as well, I know that when I go with friends I don't get as good of a workout though so I limit it. We jack around way too much. Esp., in a group class, we try to outrageously out do each other to the point it's ridiculous and I am surprised we haven't been kicked out of a class yet.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Another middle grounder... Social at classes, but if I do cardio in the gym at work I imagine an opaque bubble around me.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    I like going to the gym during peak hours. Gives me a chance to show off my chicken legs.
  • Jennapiller
    Jennapiller Posts: 1 Member
    I'm the second type of gym-goer... but that's also how I do grocery shopping, mall visits, etc. lol Seriously though, I don't mind chatting with people before a workout, but once things are going, I need my focus. After I'm done, I just want to get home and shower, before I collapse. I've tried the gym buddy thing, but it's just awkward, trying to do things together when our fitness levels or goals may be far different.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Not a people person usually, and the complete opposite of a people person in the mornings. Until recently I worked out by myself at home. Now I joined a gym and try my best to avoid others. The idea of group classes and locker room socializing is completely unattractive to me.

I'm not absurd though. I don't hesitate to ask when I have a question, or thank for a tip from a trainer, but really prefer keeping to myself. The only trouble is that this gym is open from 07.00, so there's quite a lot of people around in the morning anyway.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    I've never seen either of those types at the gym here.