Getting dropped badly when descending.

Options
I've fairly recently taken up cycling and have more recently started riding with a club on Sunday mornings. They have a slow group that starts at 7am and a faster group that start half an hour later.

I've been going out with the slow group (all WAY older than me, and I'm 40). I'm able to keep up for most of the ride, especially uphill, but on the descents I get left for dust. I know some of it is lack of confidence in cornering (too much brakes, not enough balls), but it seems even on straight descents I lose ground.

So,
a) how do I gain confidence to corner faster?
b) what could be slowing me down in a straight line? (There flasher bikes??)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    A ) Read the terrain. Work on your cornering lines, stay wide on the approach and apex later to minimise risk of running wide on the exit. Use your vision properly look through the bend and not at the bend, look where you want to go and don't stare at what you are afraid of hitting. Don't jab at the brakes at the last second. If you are gripping the bars too tightly the steering will feel awkward and edgy, relax your arms to let the bike flow. Weight your outside pedal and lean your body into the bend.
    Pick a corner where you have a problem and practice.

B ) Aerodynamics are king at speed and most of the drag comes from you. Get low, wear tight fitting riding kit. Follow another bike closely and your drag will drop by c. 25%.
    Better bikes (better wheel bearings etc.) and faster wheels make a difference (I've got deep rim carbon wheels on one bike and on descents they make a noticeable difference.
    But not enough to compensate for me not being the size and shape of a fast cyclist!

If you are a big chap you might get an initial jump off the top of a hill but as speed rises those pesky "racing snake" slim riders come past and that's the time to grab a tow.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A ) Read the terrain. Work on your cornering lines, stay wide on the approach and apex later to minimise risk of running wide on the exit. Use your vision properly look through the bend and not at the bend, look where you want to go and don't stare at what you are afraid of hitting. Don't jab at the brakes at the last second. If you are gripping the bars too tightly the steering will feel awkward and edgy, relax your arms to let the bike flow. Weight your outside pedal and lean your body into the bend.
    Pick a corner where you have a problem and practice.

B ) Aerodynamics are king at speed and most of the drag comes from you. Get low, wear tight fitting riding kit. Follow another bike closely and your drag will drop by c. 25%.
    Better bikes (better wheel bearings etc.) and faster wheels make a difference (I've got deep rim carbon wheels on one bike and on descents they make a noticeable difference.
    But not enough to compensate for me not being the size and shape of a fast cyclist!

If you are a big chap you might get an initial jump off the top of a hill but as speed rises those pesky "racing snake" slim riders come past and that's the time to grab a tow.

Just to add...

A ) It takes practice and feel and trust.

B ) Get a bike tuneup to make sure you aren't dealing with any unusual/unnecessary drag.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. Pull your knees in towards the top tube and try to relax your grip and let the bike 'run'. Pulling your knees in will help stabilise the bike and may increase your confidence.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have mentioned, this GCN video, among others, about descending is also useful.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Other than the obvious potential aerodynamic issues (are you getting down on your drops - assuming you have a road bike - and getting a slow and narrow as possible?) a lot also just comes down to confidence. Downhills can be scary for newer riders (I still ride my brakes more than I should at times but I figure 75 km/h is fast enough for me unless I'm racing.

Time in saddle & practice....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    So,

Rule #64 // Cornering confidence increases with time and experience.

This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Down hill is mostly a mixture of weight and frontal area. (Everything falls at the same speed in a vacuum, but we're not in a vacuum.)

Can you post a photo of your bike?

You've probably checked the basics like the wheels are true and not rubbing the brakes.

What kind of tires are you using? There's a pretty big difference in rolling resistance between them. Also a huge difference in how well different tires grip, which can play a role in cornering confidence.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So,

It sounds like the others in the group may be forgetting Rule # 3 and, of course, Rule #5 applies to almost all of us at one time or another.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Descent speed is a combination of how brave you are, your handling skills, and how stupid you are ;)

Weight helps. But what it really comes down to when you want to go as far as possible, is how fast you can go while telling your brain to shut up about your imminent demise.

Are you coasting or pedaling on the down hill? Have you ever run out of gears?
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Can you post a photo of your bike?

Not an actual pic but it's a 2nd hand Giant Defy 2 five or six years old.

y8dt2iopo7pd.jpg

• bjdw_1977
    Options
    A ) Weight your outside pedal and lean your body into the bend.

Tha's another question I was going to ask, should my weight be mainly on my feet or on my seat? But I guess you've answered it. My weight should mostly be on my outside foot?
  • bjdw_1977
    Options

If you are a big chap

I used to be, but not any more.

Thanks Bike.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    Other than the obvious potential aerodynamic issues (are you getting down on your drops - assuming you have a road bike - and getting a slow and narrow as possible?) a lot also just comes down to confidence. Downhills can be scary for newer riders (I still ride my brakes more than I should at times but I figure 75 km/h is fast enough for me unless I'm racing.

Time in saddle & practice....

I always descend on the drops, easier access to those darned brakes.

75? Not on my best day. 60 max. But all the hills around here have corners, lots of corners. And traffic.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    So,

It sounds like the others in the group may be forgetting Rule # 3 and, of course, Rule #5 applies to almost all of us at one time or another.

I just read Rule #5. It's definitely part of the solution.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

Are you coasting or pedaling on the down hill? Have you ever run out of gears?

Coasting. Once I hit the 50's pedaling makes me wobbly.

• bjdw_1977
    Options
    If you are gripping the bars too tightly the steering will feel awkward and edgy, relax your arms to let the bike flow.

Probably because of this.
  • sijomial
    Options
    A ) Weight your outside pedal and lean your body into the bend.

Tha's another question I was going to ask, should my weight be mainly on my feet or on my seat? But I guess you've answered it. My weight should mostly be on my outside foot?

I wouldn't say mostly, also depends on the road conditions. It's a way to reduce the lean angle slightly.
  • sijomial
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If you are gripping the bars too tightly the steering will feel awkward and edgy, relax your arms to let the bike flow.

Probably because of this.

I used to coach advanced motorcycle riding and this was a common issue. The rider lacks confidence so has a death grip on the bars which stops the front wheel tracking normally which further reduces confidence and feels like they are on the limit when in reality they are going at a very moderate speed.

One drill to make sure the rider under instruction had relaxed arms was "make like a chicken" - I got them to flap their elbows before corner entry to relax their arms and hands. Instead of fighting the front wheel they could now feel the grip and the bike flow through the corner.
  • sijomial
    Options
    BTW - agree with NorthCascades about importance of tyres.

After a bad run of punctures I put some hard wearing tyres on (a.k.a SkaterSkins) and hated them, especially after a huge front wheel slide that almost put me through a hedge and drew a round of applause from my riding buddy. They got relegated to my station commuter hack and I went back to premium tyres.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I vote for rule #6!