Help need very or no-sodium recipes.......

Options
valkc1953
valkc1953 Posts: 32 Member
Hubby is on warfarin & is not suppose to have more than 1500mg. of salt a day, but the dietitian will allow 2000mgs. Unless I'm making everything from scratch, it's not possible. I have bought everything from Mrs. Dash I can find. Also, I found some recipes, one for salt-free onion soup mix was helpful. I would love anything for a pressure cooker or a bread machine. I know there are low-sodium comments/recipes on here & I have gotten some help from them but can I have a little extra help please???

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Basically you need to make everything from scratch. Invest in some high quality herbs and spices instead of blends and cook with the "Rule of 3": Open the jar and take a whiff. If you like what you smell, open another jar and take a whiff right after smelling the first. When you find 2 that smell good together, do the same with a third. use those to season your dish.

Any purchased stock, broth, seasoning blend, sauce, etc. will likely have added salt. Look for "no salt added" instead of reduced sodium. Vegetables should be purchased fresh or frozen without seasoning. You can find no salt added canned tomato products. If you want lunch meat, you will need to roast up your own and slice it. Boar's Head do make a couple of no salt added deli meats.

Any recipe for the pressure cooker or crock pot can be adapted to low sodium by substituting ingredients.

I realize this isn't giving you any recipes. Going low sodium is a lifestyle and you will do best by learning the substitutions and how to cook from fresh ingredients.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    valkc1953 wrote: »
    Hubby is on warfarin & is not suppose to have more than 1500mg. of salt a day, but the dietitian will allow 2000mgs. Unless I'm making everything from scratch, it's not possible. I have bought everything from Mrs. Dash I can find. Also, I found some recipes, one for salt-free onion soup mix was helpful. I would love anything for a pressure cooker or a bread machine. I know there are low-sodium comments/recipes on here & I have gotten some help from them but can I have a little extra help please???

I am on a low sodium diet due to liver disease. If your husband is on warfarin (I'm on xarelto) he cannot have potassium chloride replacement salts. This is even more important if he's on other heart related medications or has AFIB.

So here's what I use:

bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/saltsubstitute.html

I wish they had this in stores. It has NO POTASSIUM CHLORIDE and it really does add a salty flavor to foods. I recommend using it at the table rather than cooking with it.

Herbox also has NO SODIUM chicken and beef bouillons. You can also order those in bottles but online only. The packets should be in every grocery store.

Here's how my liver doctor and the nutritionist put it to me:

You don't need to cook with salt in most cases. Because salt is usually used a) as a flavor enhancer or b) as a preservative. So if you don't NEED it in a food, don't USE it. Will things taste different? Yep. You may have to add more seasoning to things. But in the long run, its your health that counts.

I also have recipes for NO SALT home versions of popular products that are normally high in sodium, such as Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing seasoning, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup. If you want, message me and I'll send you the link to my recipes.
  • OddDitty
    Options
    By the way, salt is only a preservative in bread. I've been baking for years and have learned that yeast actually self-activates and loves a teeny bit of sugar much more than it loves salt.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    check out the American heart association - they have a very comprehensive cookbook - I make salt free pickles for DH and he loves them
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    OddDitty wrote: »
    By the way, salt is only a preservative in bread. I've been baking for years and have learned that yeast actually self-activates and loves a teeny bit of sugar much more than it loves salt.

That's actually not the case in terms of salt, it far more roles (and more important roles) than only acting as a preservative. See this article from King Arthur's Flour. That doesn't, of course, negate the OP's husband's need to consume less than 2,000mg of salt.
  • aokoye
    Options
    And to the OP, if you're in the US check out Penzeys Spices for good spices (and dried herbs). Also know that you can make your own stock and broth which would allow you to control how much salt is in it. Essentially I agree with everyone who is saying, make your own food from scratch.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Cook in bulk from scratch, that’s the sure way to control added sodium, as others are advising. Cooking in bulk and freezing individual portions for other meals is very helpful. Spices & herbs, fresh,dried & frozen replacing salt.
  • OddDitty
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

That's actually not the case in terms of salt, it far more roles (and more important roles) than only acting as a preservative. See this article from King Arthur's Flour. That doesn't, of course, negate the OP's husband's need to consume less than 2,000mg of salt.

I realize its also a flavor enhancer. My point being that you don't really need it. I've been baking bread without the salt. And I make my own sour dough starter because the King Arthur stuff always dies (I've gotten it from them and all three times it's come to me deader than a door nail).

No you do not need salt to make bread.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    why isn't 1500mg possible? Look at the alternative..heart issues.

Adopting a plant based diet could virtually save his life. Almost all packaged foods contain sodium because it is an inexpensive preservative. Even canned vegetables can have a good deal of sodium in them.

Ultimately you have probably figured out by now that most of the foods he was used to eating are not going to fit in the diet any longer and making everything from scratch is now the way he has to eat or he has to be very careful to read nutrition labels thoroughly before eating anything packaged.

I learned this because I too have to keep my intake around 1500mg per day due to high blood pressure. On the days following (2 at most) sodium intake higher than this (2000mg) the blood pressure is in the high range even after daily medication (ACE inhibitor, not a blood thinner like Warfarin). I had to exclude almost every type of food in a package in order to keep my pressure in check. No more fast food and in many cases no more restaurant food!

It sucks but ultimately you get used to it....and a piece of advice...it's his health, maybe he should be the one doing the cooking...anything that's bland tasting to you is okay because you can always add salt to it!!!

And finally, there are lots of recipes online that don't require added sodium. You will have to get used to the fact that most food nowadays is loaded with sodium...it's the reason people are getting high blood pressure.....
  • valkc1953
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their advice, websites & ideas. I have bookmarks the websites & taken notes. Thanks again!!
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I realize its also a flavor enhancer. My point being that you don't really need it. I've been baking bread without the salt. And I make my own sour dough starter because the King Arthur stuff always dies (I've gotten it from them and all three times it's come to me deader than a door nail).

No you do not need salt to make bread.

I didn't say that you needed salt to make bread. What I was pointing out that was that it does more than act as a preservative (I would also argue that flavor enhancement isn't as important as what it does structurally). I've also maintained my own sourdough starter. I don't anymore because a. I don't bake bread that often at this point and b. I typically prefer other breads to sourdough. I've actually never used a store bought sourdough starter now that I think about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you need to watch sodium, cooking from scratch most of the time is what you need to do. Processed foods and restaurant foods are typically loaded with sodium. If you're using canned goods in your cooking, look for low sodium options.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I went no salt for a month I switched to very fresh very flavourful vegetables. Salt hides a multitude of sins. Try sharper flavoured veggies like parsnip.

When you learn to make your own sauce bases (not that hard, just takes a time) the world is your oyster.

Onions and garlic are great flavour enhancers.

Take a day and make a batch of caramelized onions. They take no supervision in the crock pot. Freeze any you won’t be using in a few days.

https://pin.it/hwmo6vj6x3lw7o

It’s the roasting and caramelizing that gives commercial sauces that dark rich flavour. You can do this without salt.

Try making a salt free Sunday roast. Coat it with rosemary and any other herb you like.

https://canadabeef.ca/oven-roast-know-how/

Wait, you are not done yet. Use the drippings, onions, garlic, celery seeds, carrots and bones to make stock. Let it simmer overnight.

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/roasted-beef-broth

You now have a wealth of stock to add flavour to any number of dishes.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Oh and speaking of stock, don't be afraid to ask your local butcher for bones for stock. They'll probably be pretty inexpensive and, if you call ahead in advance (or perhaps even if you don't - unless you want something like veal bones) there shouldn't be any issues in terms of setting X pounds aside for you.

I'm currently in a "make all the stock" mood after having made really tasty and rich stock from chicken bones and turkey parts
  • valkc1953
    Options
    Thanks!!