Those who’ve lost weight still eating “bad” food

Options
Hi everyone, quick intro. I’ve lost 80 pounds naturally years ago. Gained it all back after baby and stress . I’m finally mentally ready for weight loss and have lost 10 pounds. The first time around I was super restrictive about food to the point going out to eat was not an option for me. This time I’m going to try to incorporate some of those food into my nutrition but I fear that I won’t lose the weight. When I crave something in particular I try to make it at home or customize it to make it healthier but still satisfying. But I have those days where I just want that slice a pizza but I’m afraid. Have any of you lost weight while still eating your favorite food?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lost five years ago and maintained eating what fits my calories. I have not cut out any foods.

Some foods are less nutrient dense than others but that doesn't mean they're bad. And Pizza can have a good amount of protein, fat and carbs. All good things as far as I'm concerned. You just have to watch the calories.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I like and have lost 57lbs so far, I usually fit it in by having smaller portions and on the odd day that I eat out I just have a maintenance day.
    It's important for me that I don't restrict anything as I want a sustainable eating plan and as "real life" includes pizza, ice cream and booze nights I need to know how to manage that.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    I've lost 35 lbs so far and still incorporate all of the foods I love. Someone on this site explained to me the beauty of "rolling over calories" and it was a game changer for me. Lots of people eat strict during the week and save up calories for the weekend. I personally don't do this every week, but it's especially handy for this time of year with all of the festivities. If you click on the nutrition tab under Diary in the app, you can view "net calories under weekly goal" to see where you're at.

Following a weekly calorie goal made a world of difference to me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    So I also eat things like pizza and have sweets once in awhile. I plan for these in advance.

Also I’ve learned food isn’t bad. What happens to me when I label food bad I feel guilty eating it and think I’m bad so might as well eat more. It becomes a horrid cycle.

I look at satiation, nutrition and whether a certain food is worth the calories. Sometimes pizza and a side salad is worth it because it’s a sustainable way for me to eat, eating foods I love, only frequency and quantity has changed for those foods.

But yes many have lost weight and maintained that loss eating less nutritious calorie dense food once in awhile.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yup, as the others have chimed in, same here, just about everyday! I think it's important to not deprive yourself of the foods we love. Life's too short. We shouldn't feel guilty for trying to indulge ourselves with what we believe isn't completely healthy for us. So, keeping in moderation and incorporating those foods into your daily/weekly calorie goal allows you to still enjoy all the wonderful goodness and not feel restricted in any way. ....At least in my opinion. :)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    You can of course!, but check out this particular thread first. I personally am NOT a moderator personality, so although I am currently in maintenance for over a year now, I also stay away from trigger foods (abstain) completely. And they don't always stay the same either. You have to know yourself and sometimes things like "cheat days" or "cheat meals" or "eating anything within your cal limit" doesn't work for everyone. Do what works for you. Yes - overall you can lose weight eating anything you want - but for me - some foods make it a LOT more difficult to stay within that calorie limit.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10709958/i-have-two-modes#latest
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I ate a cheeseburger for lunch. It fit in my calories, so I did it. I eat burgers and chicken nuggets several times a week. I've got kids, and no will to cook. So..I shove it in my calories and move on. :D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds and have maintained that loss for over a year and a half and counting. During my weight loss (and during maintenance), I've eaten plenty of what you probably consider "bad" foods - pizza, lasagna, Chinese takeout, all-you-can-eat sushi, Mexican food, desserts, candy bars, beer/liquor, donuts, cake/pies, fast food burgers/fries/etc. I made them fit them into my calories/macros for the day....or I didn't, and just moved on and got back on track the next day, no big deal.

I don't consider any individual food as "bad" or "good" - I look at their context and dosage within my overall diet, and try to eat a reasonably balanced/nutritious diet while sticking to my calorie goals at least the majority of the time. To paraphrase Eric Helms, "it's better to do something that's 65% optimal 90% of the time than it is to do something that's 90% optimal 65% of the time."
  • mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can of course!, but check out this particular thread first. I personally am NOT a moderator personality, so although I am currently in maintenance for over a year now, I also stay away from trigger foods (abstain) completely. And they don't always stay the same either. You have to know yourself and sometimes things like "cheat days" or "cheat meals" or "eating anything within your cal limit" doesn't work for everyone. Do what works for you. Yes - overall you can lose weight eating anything you want - but for me - some foods make it a LOT more difficult to stay within that calorie limit.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10709958/i-have-two-modes#latest

^^this. For me, i tend to binge and make horrible decisions if I start eating my trigger foods. Pizza is a big one for me. If I have a slice I find I’m not satiated and will eat another, then a third, then the whole pizza is gone.

I tried cheat days and meals and found myself falling off the wagon for a lot longer than the meal itself. So for me, not worth eating certain foods I use to eat when I was overweight.

a lot of people seem to do great eating whatever and staying under calories. I think as long as you’re not dealing with emotional eating issues you can do it!