Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Congrats on improving your A1c!

High morning numbers are sometimes caused not by food but by dawn phenomenon, which is the liver releasing stored glycogen in order to rev up your body for the coming day, combined with stress hormones trying to wake you up. When that's the case, in my experience eating a little something will actually cause the numbers to drop, by lowering stress hormones. I have pretty pronounced dawn phenomenon - the other day woke up at 110 (which is high for me, usually I'm about 94) and was 89 an hour and fifteen minutes after a 43 net carb breakfast. (Steel cut oats made with milk, fruit, cottage cheese.) Something you might want to test for yourself, since everyone is different.

Since I'm using working out by 5:30am, and I really want a "real" breakfast after 7am so I'm not gnawing my arms off at 9:30, I have pretty much landed on the fruit or a slice of toast with a tablespoon of PB if I wake up below 100mg/dL.

I don't usually get to test a hour later as I'm in the middle of a workout, and then the intense coffee klatch post workout. So I'm usually at home by 7, and certainly by 7:30 and working on the omelette.

On Fridays, when I know I'm going to be out on the bicycle for a few hours the next day, I might do a bit of carb loading so I don't bonk at mile 50 or so. But that's planned, and I probably will still have the banana, just because 30g of carbs can't hurt when I'm about to burn 2-3k in calories over the next 3-4 hours.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I disagree with the assertion that you don't need to exercise.

What you mean is that you don't want to do the work necessary to follow a proper training program, no matter how much it might improve your quality of life, your physique, or your longevity.

I wouldn't recommend not exercising...but when this is stated, it is generally in the context of losing weight or weight management in general. I lost a good 15 Lbs with diet alone and then started exercising.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Just to ease everyone's mind, since I know we're all super concerned..

Combat boots are super in right now. So, let your Doc Martens flag fly.

How about granny gowns and love beads to go with the Doc Martens? Long straight hair? I was so totally "in" for about 5 seconds when I was 18! :p

edited to finish sentence. and spelling.

@pinuplove will be so happy to hear this.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

How about granny gowns and love beads to go with the Doc Martens? Long straight hair? I was so totally "in" for about 5 seconds when I was 18! :p

They make me look taller, ok?!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Maybe less short????
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Maybe less short????

Maybe. I like keeping my goals within reach.