Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    edited December 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Back on the original topic, a piece of commonly given advice I tend to disagree with is the dispensation of SS and/or SL5x5 as the bestest strength training program for everybody all the time.

Do you think they are good programs for those starting out? Because that's how I usually see it suggested.

Personally, No. Unless your goals are strength / athletically oriented.

"I want to build a nice chest with big arms!"

"Go squat three times a week."

You should still do your legs if you want a big chest and arms unless you want that Johnny Bravo look.
    And hey, you do 1.5 times bench press per week on those programs. I've seen some progress photos of someone who followed SS to the word and it looked pretty balanced and good despite the 3 times per week squatting.

I'm not saying it's bad and I'm not saying you shouldn't do legs. I more think its overrated for the general population.

A common thread I've seen is wanting to bring up lagging body parts in the upper body.

And I suppose the program just annoys me from all of the GOMAD nonsense and the fact that the program rose to prominence in the online fitness community during the whole "systemic hypertrophy" craze and "squats cause crazy releases of HGH and will build muscle all around". Most of that has been tossed out but the routine has remained as some sort of pillar.

I find Rippertoe rather insufferable so maybe I'm biased. The form and technique is top notch though.

Changed my mind.
  • SaturnsbestMoon
    SaturnsbestMoon Posts: 25 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Nutrition/fitness/weight loss.

I think you're supposed to answer first. :wink:

I see a lot of people staunchly defending certain things as 'the one true way of eating that works for everyone' (TM). I think that most long-timers would agree that each of us need to find what works for us in regards to eating schedule, macro breakdown, etc. Not being too rigid, or trying to change your diet and lifestyle to the point that it's unsustainable. It's funny how heated some of these discussions can get around diet and exercise.

I've never seen moderation become such a hotly contested topic in any other setting than this.

Yeah.

Taking the chance of starting WWIII, but I agree with this...

Some people are moderators with some foods and some just aren't.

If you are - well, good for you.

Maybe step out of the discussions with people who aren't.

Not everyone is the same on this.

That brings up an interesting point. I am a moderator, but that doesn't give me leave to feel morally superior to someone who is an abstainer. Alternately, my daily chocolate habit doesn't mean I'm weaker than someone who hasn't had a chocolate bar since Doc Martens were cool.

Doc Martins are still cool.. At least to my generation (Late 20's)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @NovusDies thanks for a constructive answer, much more helpful than all the ''woos''

No problem and none of your woos have come from me nor will they ever unless it is an accidental clicking. I don't use that function.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited December 2018
    WvD141 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the simple assumption that science wins. /quote]

The whiz-bang, neat-o, golly-gee thing to remember here is that your opinion does not equal scientific fact. Nor do the opinions of some people who have created YouTube channels (you do realize that literally anyone can do that, right? Flat-earthers, Elvis sightings...and this silly *kitten*).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    That weight loss surgery doesn't work. It does. It has by far the best statistics for long term weight maintenance than any diet or exercise regime currently available.

Really?!? I'd always heard the opposite. Well, maybe not the opposite, but that it had a low success rate long term.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    That weight loss surgery doesn't work. It does. It has by far the best statistics for long term weight maintenance than any diet or exercise regime currently available.

Really?!? I'd always heard the opposite. Well, maybe not the opposite, but that it had a low success rate long term.

I think the low success rate may also be attributable to the group who typically has WLS. Strictly gut instinct speaking, long-term success rates in people of comparable stats who lost weight either with or without surgery seem to be, unfortunately, quite low. Now, actual research may prove me woefully misinformed, and I'm willing to accept that if so!

(I hope this makes sense. It may just be the cold medicine talking.)
  • NewyRob
    NewyRob Posts: 22 Member
    That brings up an interesting point. I am a moderator, but that doesn't give me leave to feel morally superior to someone who is an abstainer. Alternately, my daily chocolate habit doesn't mean I'm weaker than someone who hasn't had a chocolate bar since Doc Martens were cool.

Doc Martens aren't cool anymore? :(