Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I have occasionally read on here the suggestion to those who are not losing as quickly as they hoped, or are stalled that they "need to to eat more to lose weight". Huh? That one I don't understand, nor agree with.

this is the theory that eat to perform, renaissance performance and some others operate under - when i started with ETP i was averaging maybe 1400cal a day - they slowly stepped me up to 2800 over the course of 2 years and i stayed within 2-3lbs of my starting weight - but i have sooo much energy now and sleep so much better that its crazy

then when you do a fat loss cycle - instead of a continuous restrictive calorie - you do a short burst (28days) at a 1000-1500cal deficit from the runway you build (the higher you can get your calories the more effective these periods are) - and then you slowly ramp back up
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    MFP avatars have devolved into kittehs and mooscles.

There I go again, failing to be one of the cool kids.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    MFP avatars have devolved into kittehs and mooscles.

There I go again, failing to be one of the cool kids.

No one ever accused me of being a cool kid, so you're probably fine.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    WvD141 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the simple assumption that "calories in vs. calories out" is directly related to gaining or losing weight. The direct and only metabolic mechanism for fat build-up is excess blood glucose and insulin as a result of excess carbs. Only by depleting blood glucose and therefore depleting insulin your body will start burning fat...
    I’d love to have somebody who believes this nonsense explain how I lost 75 pounds while averaging 200g of carbs per day and eating ice cream for dessert virtually every night.

N+1, my story is similar, down 50# anywhere from 200-225g carbs/day on a diet that has gone from 2250 cal/day to just over 2025 cal/day and 203g carbs (plus eating back about 1/2 of my exercise calories as the calorie figure wasn't MFP assigned, but diabetes coach assigned)

Someone above said no fasted workouts. My approach is "it depends." If I wake with a blood glucose over 100 mg/dL, I don't eat before heading to the gym and test again when I get home. If I'm in the normal range, I have a banana or similar fruit before my workout.

For example, yesterday, I was 119 mg/dL @ 4:35am because we had Chinese the night before, and rice and the sauces seem to hang around a bit longer.

After 45 minutes of a spin class, and then hanging around with my class mates, etc, at 7:30 I again took my BG and it was 87 mg/dL.

So I had a nice 3 egg omelette breakfast with two slices of center cut bacon :)

One doesn't need to eat low carb to lose weight. However, one may need to limit their carbs on medical advice and monitor the BG.

My A1C went from 7.3% in Feb to 5.1 in August and as I seldom have a fast BG above 100mg/dL as long as I follow the above advice (I'm sure my Chinese food was more than the prescribe 60g carbs/meal) things work well.

And if I occasionally indulge, just resist eating until the values return to normal.

This seems to be working for me. For others YMMV, consult a doctor, not an internet forum for advice.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Lifting weights is better for your health then cardio

I'm confused. Do you believe this or do you think this is bad advice?

Regardless, the part I don't get is why one or the other? I prefer cardio and enjoy going for a run, but I still lift 3 times a week.

Cardio is a better calorie burn but does not do enough to increase muscle mass. Lifting is better for maintaining or increasing muscle mass, but sucks as a calorie burn.

While personal preferences and goals come into play, I see no reason to not do both in some form.

I'm not saying one or the other, to the contrary I'm saying both play a roll...

But today I think cardio is undervalued compared to lifting because most just don't want to do it lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I disagree with the assertion that you don't need to exercise.

What you mean is that you don't want to do the work necessary to follow a proper training program, no matter how much it might improve your quality of life, your physique, or your longevity.

I have only ever seen acknowledgement that you do not need to exercise to lose weight if you create a calorie deficit through only lowering your calorie intake. This is true. Why have you interpreted a statement of fact about how our bodies work as people are too lazy to follow a proper training program?
    It is not common advice on MFP that people do not need exercise. People are often advised to watch their calorie intake for weight loss and exercise for their health and improving their body condition.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    WvD141 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the simple assumption that "calories in vs. calories out" is directly related to gaining or losing weight. The direct and only metabolic mechanism for fat build-up is excess blood glucose and insulin as a result of excess carbs. Only by depleting blood glucose and therefore depleting insulin your body will start burning fat...
    I’d love to have somebody who believes this nonsense explain how I lost 75 pounds while averaging 200g of carbs per day and eating ice cream for dessert virtually every night.

N+1, my story is similar, down 50# anywhere from 200-225g carbs/day on a diet that has gone from 2250 cal/day to just over 2025 cal/day and 203g carbs (plus eating back about 1/2 of my exercise calories as the calorie figure wasn't MFP assigned, but diabetes coach assigned)

Someone above said no fasted workouts. My approach is "it depends." If I wake with a blood glucose over 100 mg/dL, I don't eat before heading to the gym and test again when I get home. If I'm in the normal range, I have a banana or similar fruit before my workout.

For example, yesterday, I was 119 mg/dL @ 4:35am because we had Chinese the night before, and rice and the sauces seem to hang around a bit longer.

After 45 minutes of a spin class, and then hanging around with my class mates, etc, at 7:30 I again took my BG and it was 87 mg/dL.

So I had a nice 3 egg omelette breakfast with two slices of center cut bacon :)

One doesn't need to eat low carb to lose weight. However, one may need to limit their carbs on medical advice and monitor the BG.

My A1C went from 7.3% in Feb to 5.1 in August and as I seldom have a fast BG above 100mg/dL as long as I follow the above advice (I'm sure my Chinese food was more than the prescribe 60g carbs/meal) things work well.

And if I occasionally indulge, just resist eating until the values return to normal.

This seems to be working for me. For others YMMV, consult a doctor, not an internet forum for advice.

Congrats on improving your A1c!

High morning numbers are sometimes caused not by food but by dawn phenomenon, which is the liver releasing stored glycogen in order to rev up your body for the coming day, combined with stress hormones trying to wake you up. When that's the case, in my experience eating a little something will actually cause the numbers to drop, by lowering stress hormones. I have pretty pronounced dawn phenomenon - the other day woke up at 110 (which is high for me, usually I'm about 94) and was 89 an hour and fifteen minutes after a 43 net carb breakfast. (Steel cut oats made with milk, fruit, cottage cheese.) Something you might want to test for yourself, since everyone is different.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2018
    Lifting weights is better for your health then cardio

I'm confused. Do you believe this or do you think this is bad advice?

Regardless, the part I don't get is why one or the other? I prefer cardio and enjoy going for a run, but I still lift 3 times a week.

Cardio is a better calorie burn but does not do enough to increase muscle mass. Lifting is better for maintaining or increasing muscle mass, but sucks as a calorie burn.

While personal preferences and goals come into play, I see no reason to not do both in some form.

I'm not saying one or the other, to the contrary I'm saying both play a roll...

But today I think cardio is undervalued compared to lifting because most just don't want to do it lol

Dunno... I always see a ton more people clogging the cardio equipment who never hit the weight room or even the machines. Gyms today seem to be moving much more towards cardio focused dominance and to most of the population "exercise" means some sort of cardio activity. People who actually lift seem to be a smaller segment of the fitness population, which isn't terribly big to start with.