Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2018
    UsE a fOoD ScALe

why do you disagree with this?

Because most people here believe its the be all end all of weight loss. Haven't weighted a single ounce of food in 6 months and doing just fine.

Maybe for skinny people trying to "lose weight" it may help but those of us with a ton to drop its unnecessary and a waste of time. As long as your mindful of portion sizes it does the same job.

I think you and I can agree that people are diffrent. Different people struggle with different types of food issues. So to put everyone in the same box isn't fair.

I too am not weighing everything, I do weigh somethings I just cant seem to eyeball like cashews I want a huge handful to be 160 calories when it's not.

Portions in the US have become huge so those growing up in the last couple of decades have no idea a portion is about the size of your palm for most things (except cashews:) and calorie dense foods). Heck even professionals are not good at estimating calories its been shown.

So while I agree with you that weighing food is not the be all end all of weight loss for some, I do believe that for others it sure is.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Salixiana wrote: »
    I have a very hard time with the fact that MFP disregards nutrition other than general categories of carbs, protein and fat, when discussing weight loss. It's like this site views weight loss as if it were totally disconnected from essential human health.

It's true that all you need in order to lose weight is a calorie deficit. But that doesn't mean that you can afford to disregard actual nutrition. Sure, you could lose weight by eating nothing but candy bars, as long as you kept under your calorie goal. And you could probably hit all your MFP macros by adding a protein shake or two to that candy bar diet. But your body as a whole organism would not thrive.

"About 85% of Americans do not consume the US Food and Drug Administration’s recommended daily intakes of the most important vitamins and minerals necessary for proper physical and mental development."
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/10/nutrition-hunger-food-children-vitamins-us

"Malnutrition is thought of as a distant issue, but this condition often goes hand-in-hand with eight chronic diseases, and it costs the U.S. $15.5 billion annually in direct costs."
    http://www.nutritionnews.abbott/nutrition-as-medicine/malnutrition-in-america.html

Anytime anyone mentions comparative nutritional value on here, they are "woo"ed to death. Even something as mild as stating that whole grain breads and brown rice are healthier than white bread and white rice provokes a chorus of disagreement. As if the key nutrients in complex carbohydrates and the outer germ and bran of grains (fiber, B vitamins, iron, folate, selenium, potassium and magnesium) are somehow meaningless. As if this advice from Mayo Clinic, based on accepted science, doesn't count:
    "Whole grains are also linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers and other health problems."

And MFP is one of the only sites I know of (outside of the Coca Cola website, maybe) where the SCIENTIFICALLY AGREED-UPON FACT that sugar is actually bad for you is treated as some sort of radical opinion. Science is real, people. No matter how many "woos" you give it.

It is not only people who have diabetes who have to think about sugar. To quote just one of the uniform knowledgeable sources:

“Regardless of their Healthy Eating Index scores, people who ate more sugar still had higher cardiovascular mortality,” says Dr. Teresa Fung, adjunct professor of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eating-too-much-added-sugar-increases-the-risk-of-dying-with-heart-disease-201402067021

It's like most people on MFP are so fixated on losing weight that they want to join together in an aggressive, in-your-face denial of nutritional facts. "There are no bad foods," is like biblical scripture here.

If you fill up your calorie allotment with added sugars and low-nutrient, highly processed junk food and fast food, you are not going to be healthy -- even if you are losing weight. There is a reason to eat a wide variety of nutrient dense foods and minimize added sugars. Human beings need the wide range of micronutrients and trace elements that occur in fresh produce, good quality proteins, legumes, etc.

Science is real.

I am reading this "There are no bad foods" stuff a lot lately from lots of sources. While I know there is some truth to that, I am struggling with eating right to help my blood lipids panel, and for me there are some definite bad and good foods.