My Little Recipe Corner

Options
OddDitty
OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
Others can add if they like but I'm going to add in my own recipes with photos (hopefully) to share whether anyone else adds or not.

Replies

• OddDitty
    Options
    Easy Chicken Shawarma, low sodium.
    • 1 lb(s), Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
    • 1 large, Red Onion (1 Large) cut into large, wide slices
    • 3 average clove (4g), Fresh, well minced
    • 1 tbsp, Spices, paprika
    • 1 tsp(s), Spices, cumin seed
    • 1 tsp, Tumeric
    • 2 T, Olive Oil
    • juice of 2 lemons

Trim excess fat from the chicken.

Using your INSTANT POT, place on saute and put chicken in when the pot is ready and oil is hot.

Cook on saute until the chicken begins to look done but is still slightly pink. Put the vegetables on top of the chicken, pour the lemon juice over the chicken and top all the rest with the spices.

Turn off saute and put on manual. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Release steam and let it sit for a bit in the juices.

Open the lid when safe and place back on saute for about 3-4 more minutes.

Serves four at 208 calories per person.
    195 mg sodium.

• OddDitty
    Options
    EASY NAAN
    • 1 cup, Non-fat Greek Strained Yogurt
    • 1 cup, Self Rising Flour
    • 4 tbsp(s), Ghee
    • 0.50 tsp, whole, Spices, fennel seed

This is a twist on Weight Watchers 2 ingredient bagel.

Mix all of the above EXCEPT FOR THE GHEE together and incorporate with hands making a nice, soft dough. Roll out with pin into elongated flats to look like Naan. Cook on medium high in melted ghee, using a little of it at a time. Should turn out eight pieces.
  • OddDitty
    Options
    When I was first told that I could no longer cook with salt (or use it at the table) I was devastated. I had to do one or the other and BOTH in micro amounts. There are just some dishes that scream GIVE ME SALT OR GIVE ME DEATH! I soon learned that Mrs. Dash was pretty good. She has a wide range of flavorings. Fifteen (as of 2018) to be exact and she's been around a long time. The first time I used it (many years ago) I wasn't impressed. I realized I could do the mixing myself but the question was: would I? Probably not! So Mrs. Dash gave me the convenience.

The Mrs. Dash people have come up with other things like marinades and seasoning packets. I've not used them (yet) but I would imagine they're as good as the "salt" substitute.

Beloved Mrs. D isn't the only apple on the tree, however. And if you like, you can get spices and make your own Ranch Dressing Mix. Yep! You know that Hidden Valley ranch mix that we all love in our dip and even in some dressing based salads? Well, here's a little recipe to make your own:

LOW SODIUM RANCH DIP

1 tsp dillweed
    1 cup powdered milk
    1/2 tsp pepper (I used regular table pepper but white pepper is as good)
    3 tbsp chives
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1/2 cup dry minced onion
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1/2 cup dry parsley
    salt (as you control or none at all!)

Mix this all together and store in an air tight container. Three tbsps equals 1 package of regular mix. It keeps for quite a while too! But here's the thing: if you plan on using it for anything other than dip, you will need to run it through a spice grinder (or very clean coffee grinder) to get it powdery.

This makes an excellent gift if you put it in a small jar decorated nicely.

(recipe courtesy of Midnight Baker)

NOTE: when I tabulated the calories per serving, if 1 tbsp is used, it comes to 38 calories at 41 mg sodium per. Given that you're likely going to mix it with something dairy, like sour cream or a low fat buttermilk or maybe cream cheese, keep this in mind when tabulating sodium.
  • OddDitty
    Options
    Home made Condensed Chicken Soup

During the time I was growing up, Campbell's soup company was a staple around the house. More and more we saw the use of condensed soups in making dinners easier. Casseroles were a big thing in the 60's and 70's. But the problem for many people then- as now- was the sodium. Condensed soups, even the "heart healthy" modern versions may still hold too much sodium and thus using them becomes inefficient.

So I turned to my favorite dietician- Mrs. Google- to find alternatives. And as you can imagine, it happened! Of course, with everything else I find, I have to tweak it a tad because I'm all about the flavor. My tweak here is courtesy of Herb Ox no sodium chicken bouillon.

1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/8 tsp. celery seed (optional)
    1/8 tsp. dried thyme
    1/4 cup finely diced cooked chicken
    4 packs Herb Ox no sodium chicken bouillon
    Add the chicken stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.

In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and flour until the flour is dissolved.

Slowly pour the milk mixture into the boiling chicken stock, whisking to combine.

Whisk in remaining seasonings.

Reduce heat to medium, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil, stirring constantly so that the bottom of the pan does not burn. (I recommend a non-stick pan or pot).

Let the mixture boil for about 3 minutes or until thickened.

Then stir in the chicken (if using), and remove pan from the heat.

A few notes here.

This shouldn't be consumed as is, it's meant to be diluted. HOWEVER you can use it as is to replace the canned stuff!

Technically it keeps for up to one week in the fridge just fine. But I would make several meals ahead of time using it and freeze the meals. That way you don't have it going to waste sitting in the fridge.
  • OddDitty
    Options
    Condensed Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

Cream soups have dominated the casserole and cooking world for over fifty years. The problem has been the amount of sodium in it, which is necessary to preserve it in cans. This year, (2018) marked the death of an American Icon: Dorcas Reilly.

Dorcas was a cook for Campbell's Soup company. One of the first, in fact. And what she made became an American Tradition around the dinner tables across the landscape, particularly during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

In 1955 the first ever Green Bean Casserole hit the cooking world and Moms across America began to serve it. From then on, this simple casserole made its mark and even has a spot in the Inventors Hall of Fame.

Elsewhere on this blog I'll post the original and my own dear Mom's spin off of it. But for this section, I'm going to only post how to substitute a lower sodium version.

1 1/3 cup vegetable stock
    2/3 cup milk
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup finely-chopped fresh mushrooms
    0.15216310151514 tsp salt, or a dash or 1 tiny fast food packet salt
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/8 tsp. celery seed (optional)
    1/8 tsp. dried thyme

Add vegetable stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.

In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and flour until the flour is dissolved.

Slowly pour the milk mixture into the boiling vegetable stock, whisking to combine. Whisk in the mushrooms and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil, stirring constantly so that the bottom of the pan does not burn. Let the mixture boil for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat.

Either use the condensed soup in a recipe immediately, or transfer it to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

NOTE:
    This makes essentially 2- 1-.5 oz cans of condensed soup. The sodium count will depend on how you make it. If using homemade stock (as I do) the sodium count will be different from using an Unsalted commercial variety- but not by much as long as you add NO salt to the pot when making your stock. Total per serving is 180 calories and 257 sodium per. Far less than commercially made soups.

NOTE: This recipe is NOT meant to be consumed as-is. It is a concentrated soup, which means that it either needs to be diluted to be eaten as a soup, or mixed into a recipe that calls for condensed soup.
  • OddDitty
    Options
    Sodium Free Old Bay Seasoning Spice
    I use OLD BAY seasoning a lot in my cooking. But it bothers me how much sodium is in it! So I scoured the web to find this version. I think it's pretty good, actually. You will need either a processor that grinds food into powder or, as I do, simply use a spice grinder. If you're going low sodium this utensil is a MUST.

1/2 teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
    1 tablespoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon black peppercorn
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seed (brown or yellow)
    2 whole cloves
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/4 teaspoon mace
    You're now talking both sodium and, essentially, calorie free.

The above version omits one thing: red pepper flake. What you can do if you miss that heat, is add a little at a time, taste as you go, and take it to YOUR heat level.

Another recipe I found completely analyzed the contents and amounts within Old Bay and came up with this:

• 1 tablespoon celery salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 pinch ground dry mustard
    • 1 pinch ground mace (may substitute a teensy pinch nutmeg)
    • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
    • 1 pinch ground cardamom
    • 1 pinch ground allspice
    • 1 pinch ground cloves
    • 1 pinch ground ginger
    Note the addition of cayenne powder. This is where they get the heat.

And then another recipe was a little more intense:

2 tablespoons bay leaf powder
    2 tablespoons celery salt
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon ground mace
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    In all of these, you can substitute the celery SALT with celery SEED nicely.

However you decide to make yours, enjoy it salt free!
  • OddDitty
    Options
    LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE REPLACEMENT

4 tablespoons beef bouillon (use HERBOX sodium free)
    4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons dark molasses
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 pinch white pepper
    1 pinch garlic powder
    1 1/2 cups water

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the beef bouillon, balsamic vinegar, molasses, ginger, white pepper, garlic powder and water. Boil gently until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes.

The original recipe used regular granulated beef bouillon. But that makes the sodium content around 166 per tbsp. So by removing it and replacing with HerbOx sodium free, you're going down to 5 mg sodium per. Not bad!
  • OddDitty
    Options
    gz9sksurl9pe.png
    I love a good chicken and dumplings. But my "classic" is not nearly this easy! Not only is this recipe, which serves 6 people, satisfying, its also lower sodium AND lower calories as a complete meal at 227 calories per serving and 220 mg sodium.

3 tablespoons oil
    1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
    1 cup carrots (chopped, about 2 small)
    1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
    3 cups low sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons flour
    2 cups cooked chicken (bite sized)
    1 cup frozen peas
    pepper

dumplings
    1 cup flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/3 cup 1% milk (or non-fat)

In a large skillet, on med-high heat, saute the onions, carrots and celery til soft.

In a cup, add a small amount of the cold broth to the flour and stir til smooth.

Add the above mixture, slowly to the remaining broth and add to the skillet.

Reduce to medium heat and stir until it thickens.

Add in the chicken, peas and pepper.

Reduce to low and let it simmer while you make the dumplings.

To make the dumplings:

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.

Add egg to milk in a separate bowl and beat to blend well (no white showing) and stir into the flour til well combined.

Pour the chicken mixture into a lightly oiled or sprayed casserole.

Drop the dumplings by spoonsful into the mixture (should make 8 dumplings).

Bake uncovered at 400 for 15 minutes or til the dumplings are golden.

Leftovers should be immediately refrigerated for safety or frozen while hot.

As a note- purists can replace the baking powder with a sodium free variety. However, the amount used is so small that, if you omit any extra salt, you should be okay.