Opinions On BMI

Options
124»

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,789 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You don’t need to be underweight to be short. You can be short in any shape or size. B) I am not saying that everyone is like me. I am just saying that imo the chart can be too generous to short women. My opinion. A 30 pound range is a lot.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,137 Member
    Options
    I absolutely never recommend anyone to go by BMI. It's interesting to read about, but not useful to go by.

bmi-comparison1.png

Obviously and looking at the above picture, BMI is not accurate for those two guys, but for the general population is not too bad.
    Unless doctors decide to go by body fat % instead of BMI, and insurance companies pay for DEXA or a reliable test to determine body fat in an individual, BMI is the only thing that we have.
  • SummerSkier
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Nope. Not saying everyone needs to be like me at all! Lol. I am being very precise. I agree that people come in all shapes and forms and body fat levels. I also think that folks can be over the BMI range and not over fat. I actually am fairly open minded about it all. BMI is a good guideline. Period. But there are lots of other variables. I personally was over fat at the higher end of normal BMI. I used BMI like AnnPT says for a few years as a good excuse to pretend but my knees started to hurt too. :(

I am now into my second year of maintaining.

Here is a photo. On the left normal BMI. In the middle Current low BMI (not a rib or bone in sight I swear!) and just cause on the right runners old legs.6t9xph8yvofh.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,078 Member
    Options
    <snip>

I personally was over fat at the higher end of normal BMI. I used BMI like AnnPT says for a few years as a good excuse to pretend but my knees started to hurt too. :(

<snip>

I feel like you are taking my comment out of context. I think you look fine and healthy in your photos, though, no matter what people said in another thread.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    Gottaburmem. It’s all good. IMO means in my opinion. This thread is for opinions on BMI I understand you differ. It’s really not meant to be personal since we are all different.

Annpt. Sorry if I misinterpreted your words.

• timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I personally think bmi works for most people, my theory is if you are smack in the middle of the healthy weight catogory you still have almost a stone either way to play with. So someone who was perfect weight then became a bodybuilder would have to gain a stone of muscle before edging out of the healthy range. And your frame would have to be a stone heavier or lighter than avarage to put you outside healthy. Of course if you like the way you look and feel and are outside the healthy range you will question if bmi works this is to be excepted and is perfectly fine, either you are kidding yourself about your health or you know your correct so other people's opinions shouldn't matter, some people are either side of healthy for any number of reasons but if you are majorly out then maybe time to double check bloods etc.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Like people say: BMI is about populations not individuals. With all that great muscle you have no worries. For those of us who are average, it is a decent guideline.
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yes there is quite a bit of controversy surrounding BMI. As a teacher, when I look at student data I try to focus on: multiple data points and larger trends. So the BMI chart for me personally is a useful data point. And what I’ve found is that when I am within the normal range of the BMI I have a normal A1C, good cholesterol levels, and a healthy waist/hip ratio. I also have great energy! I am 5’3” and currently maintaining between 131 and 133 pounds. I am small boned and NOT muscular. Eleven years ago I was at my lowest weight as an adult at 110. There were people who told me I was looking “too thin” but my doctor assured me that I was still perfectly healthy. And I would encourage you to have a conversation with your doctor as well.
    By the way, about ten years ago I gained back ALL of my weight gradually over time back to 159 because I didn’t understand how to maintain. For me, at age 50, it’s more important to maintain a healthy weight and healthy habits for the long haul.