For the girl who aspires to be fit and slim

Options
Hello, it seems that the fitness industry has been over populated with very muscular women and men. There’s nothing wrong with that, I think that it’s great but I’m one of the people who don’t want to put on a lot of muscle. I want to have definition but stay slim.

I like this body type, I’m not saying I can look exactly like this(because of genetics etc). but what workouts should I incorporate into my routine to get my body similar to someone slim and toned like her. na3fo6vnw3c9.jpeg
xn8lgals3qca.jpeg
rz5vtkndn0g3.jpeg

Here’s a pic of me. I’m 5’7, 135 pounds I have a rectangular body shape with a slight curve in my hips, it’s very slight lol.

cwcsafetdisi.jpeg

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Those women all look like they probably have quite a bit of muscle. Strength training is your best bet at looking similar.

Yepp.. agreed.

Genetics and body composition are big factors. I've run many muscle gaining cycles and I would say I look slim, curvy, a bit muscular in certain areas, similar to your photo examples there. I ran Strong Curves (by Bret Contreras) and related programming.

I think you look great. I would start lifting, eat at maintenance and enjoy the ride.
  • cherellenjohnson9
    cherellenjohnson9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the response!
  • cherellenjohnson9
    cherellenjohnson9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Should I lift really heavy or lighter?
  • crisa90
    crisa90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I believe that lifting heavy (in the 8-10 rep range) will greatly help with muscle definition. When building muscle, you also have to focus on eating in a surplus— healthy food is better so you don’t gain TOO much excess fat. Once you’ve bulked for maybe 3 months, start incorporating HIIT workouts 15-20 mins 3x per week while still lifting heavy. As you start losing fat, start increasing cardio to 4 and 5 days. One HUGE misconception is that you should be lifting lighter as you start losing weight. DONT DO THIS! Keep lifting as heavy as you can do you can not only maintain that muscle but also maintain strength. Because as females we don’t have as much testosterone we cannot build big huge muscles so as you start to lose fat, you will also inevitably start losing muscle... this is what will lead you to that slim yet toned look you desire. Keep up the good work and let me know if this way helpful!
  • Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    Options

There was a quote that stuck around in my head from Athlean X on YouTube who is one of the best fitness trainers on YouTube. I'd actually suggest you look him up for different excersizes so you can learn how to do excersizes safely. The video was about 5 things ripped lean people do. The one quote was lift what you should, not what you can. Essentially when I lift I want to be in the 8-12 rep range because higher reps with lighter weight is less likely to injure me then doing a heavier weight with 3 reps per set.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I would recommend following a program, but you want it to be heavy/challenging for you (with good form).. most programs will have you do most main lifts usually in a rep range anywhere from 5-12.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    All those women are muscular. You would have to work out incredibly hard to become more muscular than them.
  • doubleIronDog
    doubleIronDog Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, you’re winning already!
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You already look fit and slim. You’re beautiful!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    All those women are muscular. You would have to work out incredibly hard to become more muscular than them.

Actually what I noticed was the LACK of musculature in the upper body. I seriously doubt that any of them do any serious upper body lifting. And for a woman who doesn't want to look overly muscular I think that is an important distinction. It looks like they probably have a very leg/glute focus. Also, I wouldn't say that any of them had a similar body shape to the OP.
    klovesd84 wrote: »
    You already look fit and slim. You’re beautiful!

I would also agree with this.