What are some of your ‘rules’

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Calories are precious. Make sure they are all delicious.
    I could not agree with this more! lol

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Calories are precious. Make sure they are all delicious.

In practice, for me, this means having full fat milk or none at all rather than horrible skim milk. Using sugar in my tea rather than detested artificial sweeteners.

Same here. I refuse to drink blue milk. ;)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Log every bite.
    Weigh every morning. But I only record weight once a month.
    At least 10 minutes of bodyweight stretching and calisthenics every day no matter what. If I'm not ill, at least 15 minutes of vigorous activity which leaves me sweaty. Usually I get a lot more but this is the bare minimum.
    Never eat above my maintenance calories. If I have to, I bank calories from other days.
    I'm a diabetic, so most of my other rules have to do with managing my blood sugar. As a side effect, limiting carbs in order to control my glucose levels also helps me stay within my calorie limit. I try never to go over 130 after meals. If I do, I exercise in order to bring my numbers back down.

One of my major rules is no being willfully ignorant. If I think, "I bet this food has a lot of calories, I just won't look it up," then I make myself look it up. If I think, "I feel like maybe my glucose is high right now, if I don't take my blood I can pretend it's fine," then I make myself check it.
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    Don't drink my calories.
    Don't talk about what I'm eating or why.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Cookies, cakes and desserts are fine but have to be home made from scratch. It slows my roll and they're usually more satisfying anyway.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    My rules:
    1. Log everything I eat honestly. I’m only hurting myself if I don’t.
    2. Walk at least 250 steps every hour for 12 hours a day. I read somewhere that even if you exercise regularly, being sedentary is super bad for you so I track this with my Fitbit and make sure I hit this goal every. damn. day.
    3. Always hit my step goal (15000 steps right now but I increase it like every two weeks).
    4. Weigh myself every day (log it weekly).
    5. Portion my food/snacks. I used to have a big binge eating problem so now I need to portion things out and leave the box/bag in the cupboard.
    6. Don’t let Foods I Love be off limits. I need something sustainable and not being allowed to have cookies or cupcakes wouldn’t work for me. I just make it a treat now instead of a staple.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I only have 1 real rule and that is to not stop logging. Everytime I stop logging, I end up in a weight gain cycle. If I want to lose this weight and keep it off, then I cannot stop logging.

Same for me. I don't log on trips and usually come out ok, but when I've stopped logging for a month or more I find that I ultimately gain because I have poor hunger cues and tend to undereat and then find myself craving weird high calorie foods...stuff like that. I need to log.

The main "rule" I can think of is when I go to any type of buffet or potluck situation, I do one plate only. That might mean I have a plate that is 1/3 meat, 1/2 vegetables, and a piece of cake with tons of frosting...I'm not saying it's a well balanced healthy plate. But I think situations like that, for me, are a recipe for disaster because I used to think "well I need a plate of salad, and a bowl of soup, and a plate of entree type food, and a plate of dessert" and by the end it was probably an insane amount of calories. Works well for me.

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    1 - Log everything
    2 - If I have a craving figure out a way to make it fit into my calories, don't just push it away until I end up binging
    3 - Don't expect perfection, just expect myself to keep trying
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Biggster69 wrote: »
    Never eat when I am not hungry. Don’t eat after 6 pm. No added sugars. No calories in drinks.

I have a similar general rule of being done eating by 5:00 pm. When, I’m home, I say I meet that goal 5 days a week. Last night I attended a Christmas party and closed my eating diary around 7:00 pm.

The 5:00 pm goal works for me and my brain and gut have adjusted.

Do you not have dinner or do you not have regular job hours?

I tend to work until at least 7 (I realize many get off at 5 or 6), and then get home at around 8 unless I do errands or work out first. So if I have dinner it's late. Hasn't seemed to be a problem.

Sometimes I regularly work until 8, and at my old job that was common.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Keep logging
    Make room for treats in moderation
    Don't buy things I can't moderate (but leave the door open for having a single portion on occasion)
    IN GENERAL (not talking about a once-in-a-blue-moon banquet/family reunion/holiday), don't order foods in restaurants where the calories are too hard to ballpark. A slice of vegetarian cheese pizza? Easy enough. The pasta with the signature sauce that comes to me in a salad bowl? Not so much. Don't be afraid to ask the restaurant in advance; I've found that many of them reply quickly to questions asked via email/Facebook messaging.
    Exercise daily
    Stay real with myself
    Focus on protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls.
    See my doctor twice a year and get my vitals taken. Now, he's only doing my bloodwork once a year because things are all normal and staying that way, but he still checks my blood pressure and weight.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Count daily. Except for holidays or vacation. Once those are over, back to counting. Nothing is off limits. I can have anything I want, just at the right time and in the right amount.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,232 Member
    Excellent suggestions everyone!