What percentage body weight are you actually lifting?

Options
13»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In to follow new math.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My bodyweight is 192lbs(87.1kg)
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg
    So you're squatting 120 - (87.1/2) or 76.45kg?

Or are you squatting 163.55kg and then subtracting half your body weight?

Did you carry the one?

They're not my %s they're just the weights I'm lifting atm
    But does that include the weight of the limbs you're using to lift it?

Hmm, if you shave your arms can you increase your bench press?

Of course it doesn't include the weight of my limbs lmao wtf are you talking about?
    So when I do pull ups should I count the weight of my trainers?haha

Totally taking off my converse next time I do chins at the gym. Thanks!
    You mean you guys don't do naked chinups?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

Of course it doesn't include the weight of my limbs lmao wtf are you talking about?

At least when you post a thread about everyone staring at you in the gym, we'll understand it better now.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't understand the explanation of the math in the original post. Maybe what the trainer was talking about was your theoretical 1 rep max? Here's a site that I use sometimes: http://www.strstd.com/

For deadlifts, I pulled 200lbs (once), and my body weight is about 125lbs+. So that's about 1.58 x body weight.
    For squats, I did 5x5 at 95lbs, which is .75 of my body weight.
    But when you started your deadlift, your hips were closer to the ground than when you finished. So your legs had to lift your whole upper body to complete the lift. And your back had to raise your shoulders and arms. So you should count that weight. And you need to adjust not only for the weights of different parts of your body but also the leverages based on how far they are from the nearest hinge point.

So let's figure out how much you deadlifted. First, do you shave your arms?

Wait, wait, wait...I think I get the math in the original post now. Assuming I weigh 125lbs...and I pick-up 200lbs off of the ground...according to this theory, I'm actually lifting 325lbs minus the weight of my shins?

Ok...no. I'm still only lifting 200lbs, which for the record is still really awesome.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused right now. I wake up from a nap and this is the first thread I open. My brain just freaking exploded. I think I'll go back to my couch.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

I used to, but the old ladies at the Y complained that it gave them hot flashes.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Why don't you check out your Wilks points if you are into this sort of thing and want to compare to other powerlifters? http://wilkscalculator.com/

P.S. I really didn't understand the rest of your posts except something about body weight and comparative lifting so the rest I read turned into blah blah blah for me and I thought I'd suggest this because it seems a) more feasible and b) more socially acceptable.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

Hoo boy, for your sake I hope you are pretty.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I bench 90kg
    deadlift 190kg
    squat 120kg

Did you carry the one?

I have legit done this before. I'm not even ashamed to admit it.

Okay, just a little ashamed.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Honestly, I don't understand the explanation of the math in the original post. Maybe what the trainer was talking about was your theoretical 1 rep max? Here's a site that I use sometimes: http://www.strstd.com/

For deadlifts, I pulled 200lbs (once), and my body weight is about 125lbs+. So that's about 1.58 x body weight.
    But when you started your deadlift, your hips were closer to the ground than when you finished. So your legs had to lift your whole upper body to complete the lift. And your back had to raise your shoulders and arms. So you should count that weight. And you need to adjust not only for the weights of different parts of your body but also the leverages based on how far they are from the nearest hinge point.

Wait, you forgot to add in the rotation of the femur and angular motion compared to the sacrum and iliac bones into the calculation, then factor in the angle of the attachment point of the sacrotuberous ligament if there is any motion at that joint as well. For an accurate determination the exact attachment points and distance the muscle moves must be measured to determine the strength of the muscle. Also was the velocity of weight movement and what you had for lunch added into the calculation?

PS. I just went to the bathroom and got stronger by this method, I'm liking it!

Are you now weaker? Since you're lifting less weight?

No, by OP's proportion of bodyweight exercise measurement, you are stronger after you go to the bathroom, because you have reduced your weight. Therefore in lifting the same exact lift with the same weight, it is a higher proportion of your bodyweight than it was pre-bathroom. (380lb shrug/200lbs = 1.9 x bodyweight lift, but 200lbs - 2lbs..."dropping kids off at the pool"= 198lbs, and 380/198 = 1.9191919 = STRONGER!! )

But, I still havent figured out the amount of my bodyweight I'd add to the shrug, its not just 380lbs, but 380lbs plus whatever proportion of my body I'm still "lifting" to do a shrug, so my "lift" increases even more, both by percentage of bodyweight fudging, and by addition of body weight fudging!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Wait, you forgot to add in the rotation of the femur and angular motion compared to the sacrum and iliac bones into the calculation, then factor in the angle of the attachment point of the sacrotuberous ligament if there is any motion at that joint as well. For an accurate determination the exact attachment points and distance the muscle moves must be measured to determine the strength of the muscle. Also was the velocity of weight movement and what you had for lunch added into the calculation?

PS. I just went to the bathroom and got stronger by this method, I'm liking it!

Are you now weaker? Since you're lifting less weight?

No, by OP's proportion of bodyweight exercise measurement, you are stronger after you go to the bathroom, because you have reduced your weight. Therefore in lifting the same exact lift with the same weight, it is a higher proportion of your bodyweight than it was pre-bathroom. (380lb shrug/200lbs = 1.9 x bodyweight lift, but 200lbs - 2lbs..."dropping kids off at the pool"= 198lbs, and 380/198 = 1.9191919 = STRONGER!! )

But, I still havent figured out the amount of my bodyweight I'd add to the shrug, its not just 380lbs, but 380lbs plus whatever proportion of my body I'm still "lifting" to do a shrug, so my "lift" increases even more, both by percentage of bodyweight fudging, and by addition of body weight fudging!
    It's often said that a great way to break through a plateau is by deloading. Now I finally know what they mean.
  • pgasys3449
    pgasys3449 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look at https://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Bodyweight
    A squat or deadlift add 60% of bodyweight, single leg 85%, lunge or split squat 75%. Calf raise 100%.
    Why it may be important. if you are using 1RM (0ne rep max) calc, the percentage of 1RM lift is your total resistance. For Bench or Bicep,Trycept the arm weight is small %. but for leg work it can be 40%. if you do not understand 1RM usefulness, look it up. I use it as a pyramid in lifting, rather then repeating sets. Your strength increases, but the % of 1RM stays relatively constant for the number of reps. So, how much weight you can lift, for say 12 reps, is always the same % of your max one rep (roughly). If I lift for 18 reps to fatigue, I can calc how much weight to put on to maxing out at 12,9 or 6. Off course you have to keep records and re-figure your 1RM each time.
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I bench what I deadlift, does that mean my chest is jacked? Or are my legs as spindly as my upper body?
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    This is way overcomplicated.

The weight on The bar is what you are pushing, pressing, pulling, squatting etc.

What is that relative to your bw
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Seekerman wrote: »
    My GF part time trainer told her you must consider your half your body weight when comparing upper body exercises to squats. In terms of raw weight lifted. Kind of makes sense I guess. Where in a bench press or shoulder press you are only lifting the weight. She tells me then effectively I am squatting 240 pounds or 1.26 my body weight (145 squat plus 190/2). I don't think that is right though and I am squatting only .77 of my body weight. I bench 1.66 my body weight which does not sound as impressive as the raw number of weight lifted lol

She wants to bench 1/2 her squat which is at 205lbs but if you add half her body weight then the number is 272 pounds. Her bench is up to 85 pounds. I like to think she squats 1.53 times her body weight and not 2.03 x her body weight and she benches .63 her body weight.

Feel free to post your numbers. I want to get a idea of normal percentage of body weight numbers.

I actually get your question. Benching bodyweight for a female is a great goal. Trying to use a crazy formula to figure out what goal she should be shooting for based on her squat is not helpful. Just have her keep progressing and adding weight. If I did the math right, your GF weighs 134 ((272-205)*2). It just so happens that 272/2 = 136. So your crazy formula is actually kind of on track for a reasonable weight assuming her squat doesn't keep going up. LOL BTW - it can take years for a female to work up to a body weight bench.