Is your Polar Wearlink strap giving you Grief?

Options
W0zzie
W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
Are you having 00 or the lost signal message continually from your Polar HRM - with a Wearlink strap?
"This is ONLY for the Wearlink material type straps".

After about 3 to 4 months of owning a FT7 it started losing signal and registering 00 a bit - it just got worse to the point of at the 5 month ownership mark much frustration & continually doing it multiple times particularly when colder and in the first 15 mins or so of a session. I thought I was doing all the right things - rinsing after each session - washing in bag in machine once a week or fortnight.

BUT I believe I now have it back to 100% working order virtually all the time.

1. If you watch the Polar care video - they use a drop of detergent after each use - so rinse it in warm/hot water and use detergent & thoroughly rinse & DRY it properly, squeezing out water & then towel dry.

2. If you machine wash (in wash bag) once a week or so make sure you use a warm/hot cycle with water "at least" 40 deg celsius (104F)

OR instead do this - this is the bottom line of how I have got mine back schmik - found this on a Polar forum - link is also below.
Sometimes I'll use a 1 Liter wide-mouth translucent Delrin plastic (Nalgene) camping/hiking bottle with approx one teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent and blazing hot water. Drop in the strap (w/o the transmitter), screw the lid closed and do the James Bond "Shaken not Stirred" for about 5 minutes. Then empty and rinse as many times as needed to entirely eliminate all signs of detergent suds. Finally, blot the strap with a towel and hang dry. Works like a charm and saves lots of water!
[END QUOTE]

Source: http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?p=47024

We use powder not liquid for laundry which I would NOT recommend so I just used about 1/2 a pump of liquid handwash in a 3ltr Milk bottle (Aussie); thoroughly rinsed & clean of course. The water was scalding hot water direct from the tap - I obviously wouldn't go using boiling water.

Some other tips.
> If you've seen advice around about using a lotion with these - DON'T - the wearlink straps are NOT meant to be used with a lotion - "water" only. The lotions will block up the material pickups - which is exactly the cause of this issue to begin with.
> Also try to dry the contacts both on the transmitter & strap thoroughly whenever washing/rinsing as left damp over long periods they will suffer from oxidisation - also causing issues. For the same reason I wouldn't not recommend leaving your strap hanging in a bathroom where steam & the like are going to keep the strap damp.

Hope this helps some of you before you get to the point I was - wanting to throw the dang thing out or throwing it across the room after having it lose signal for the 3rd time in a 30min session.

Cheers
Woz

Replies

• Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I haven't used my polar in AGES because of the lost signal. Now I know how to fix -- thank you!!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    thanks good info
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great to know! Thanks for posting.
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When you first put it on run it under the tap and get it thoroughly wet. I have no problem in it picking up the signal after that.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes to W0zzie's comments. I'd also like to add:

- Prior to using, make sure you soak the strap contacts (the 2 gray mesh areas) well with water. I place them under the running faucet.

- If you keep losing the signal, check to make sure your strap is very snug.

- I rinse the strap in very warm water after every workout, squeeze it almost dry in a towel, then hang it up to dry fully (not in the bathroom). Wash with liquid soap and hot water once a week.

- Also rinse and dry the watch strap and transmitter.

- Remember to remove the transmitter (the part that snaps onto the strap) after your workout. The batteries are "ON" and transmitting as long as it's snapped onto the strap. If you leave it on, you'll run down the batteries needlessly.
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump thank you!
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Never had an issue with mine.

I wash in the shower with water after each use. A couple of times I got soap on it, bit made sure I washed that off fully. I dry it with a towel and (when home) place on top of my computer (the exhaust air dries it completely :)

I also wet the contacts (normally lick my finger :o) before use.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Avril58 - yep always do.

@PenTool - great adds & agree with all.

@MoonShadow - Yeh I didn't have any trouble either til about 4 month old - "maybe" I just tried to take care of it too well - a case of killing it with love LOL
  • drsteph01
    Options
    Bump so that I can re-read to get mine working better!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Great info. I had to send mine back for repair a few times now, and each time the repair sheet came back different. To be fair to polar they have been really good and I tested and repaired and shipped back my FT40 and wearlink the same day they got it, so I was literally missing it for 3 days max.

I bought a cheaper one from Aldi for £12 or something and it works just as well and the strap I think is much better (rubber with the transmitter attached).
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I am convinced there is a flaw in these straps that Polar isn't owning up to. I bought a FT40, and it stopped working after 2 months. I sent it in and they gave me a new one. Well guess what, after just 4 months, I am right back in the same place with a broken HRM. I wash it properly, it is tight, I wet it, and yes, I even changed the batteries. I am bringing it back yet AGAIN and we will see what the do this time.

There are far to many who have a problem with these straps for it to be just a coincidence!
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about washing. Here's another tip:

If totally disconnect the transmitter from the strap, it's easy to lose. I only unpop one side. It disconnects the circuit but remains attached so it can't be lost.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!
  • Carrie704
    Options
    I'll give this a try. I am always 00 :(
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Mine has been doing this lately and I have washed in very hot water and Dawn Dish Detergent, because the chemicals in Dawn break up oils that come off the body. Still, it will either register to 00 OR it registers at something crazy like 220. I'm tempted to just go and buy a new strap. I don't think it's the transmitter, I think the strap is just corroded.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If its in warranty send it back to polar, you can log your repair online and ship it off. They sent mine back the same day they received it and touch wood it's been fine since then
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Have not had an issue with mine yet but will refer to this article should I.