Body Fat Percentage

How do you all figure out your body fat percentage? I know there’s the calipers that’s pretty low-cost, but I know you do need to be trained on them. I don’t really have access to any specific trainers or people who can assist me with that. All I have is an old fashioned scale, measuring tape and some mirrors but I think it would help me to know where my body fat is sitting at, especially since my main goal is to get leaner. Just curious how others are figuring it out!

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited December 2018
    Ballpark estimates based on online comparison pictures to those who have been accurately tested. “ yeah I look like that”

About as accurate as any other device minus dexa or bodpod
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I don't really know mine, despite running bulk and cut cycles with the main aim of increasing muscle and/or lowering my bodyfat. I kind of compare to photos of people, I take measurements (make sure certain ones are going down, others are increasing or staying the same), I compare my own progress photos and at the end I get an idea how I'm doing based on how close I am to my physique goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I used 6 monthly BodPod tests but wasn't particularly impressed with them - got a reasonable trend during my main weight loss period but also got one reading that was obviously inaccurate. Poor value for money.
    Also used a domestic 4 sensor BIA device which gave a reasonable trend but with the expected weird and wonderful individual readings along the way. Good value for money right up to the point they broke!

When I got close to goal and as the BIA scales had broken I just went by online comparison pictures (such as Builtlean). I replaced my bathroom scales / BIA device with a 2 sensor model and they were only good for a chuckle.

I sometimes use a commercial quality 4 sensor BIA device (Boditrax) at my gym and again it gives a reasonable trend, but it's just out of curiosity really, I don't have any ambition to be a certain percentage. Still gives some weird readings but mostly reasonable/believable if you are careful to use it under consistent conditions.

Calipers can be reasonable used by a trained person but you really need to have it done rather than do it on yourself or the number of measuring sites are limited and you can put tension in your skin/muscles by contorting yourself and get false readings.

Tape measure and progress pictures (be consistent with lighting and posture) would seem to be fine for your goal as it seems to be a look and not a number.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Ballpark estimates based on online comparison pictures to those who have been accurately tested. “ yeah I look like that”

This^^
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I used 6 monthly BodPod tests but wasn't particularly impressed with them - got a reasonable trend during my main weight loss period but also got one reading that was obviously inaccurate. Poor value for money.
    Also used a domestic 4 sensor BIA device which gave a reasonable trend but with the expected weird and wonderful individual readings along the way. Good value for money right up to the point they broke!

When I got close to goal and as the BIA scales had broken I just went by online comparison pictures (such as Builtlean). I replaced my bathroom scales / BIA device with a 2 sensor model and they were only good for a chuckle.

I sometimes use a commercial quality 4 sensor BIA device (Boditrax) at my gym and again it gives a reasonable trend, but it's just out of curiosity really, I don't have any ambition to be a certain percentage. Still gives some weird readings but mostly reasonable/believable if you are careful to use it under consistent conditions.

Calipers can be reasonable used by a trained person but you really need to have it done rather than do it on yourself or the number of measuring sites are limited and you can put tension in your skin/muscles by contorting yourself and get false readings.

Tape measure and progress pictures (be consistent with lighting and posture) would seem to be fine for your goal as it seems to be a look and not a number.

I’d like to know how muscular I am. I always have been more muscular, in the higher percentile, but you might not know it looking at me because it’s covered in a layer of fat. But I’d feel better about being at a higher weight if I knew I had more muscle and that’s what’s contributing to it.

The best way to find out how much muscle you have is to lean out and see. It will be like opening a gift at Christmas. At least that is how I always look at it ;)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »

This^^

Yup. Compared a bunch of different methods and photo comparison seemed to be the best bang for your buck. You can also post pics on here and experienced people can get you in the ballpark.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member

I’d like to know how muscular I am. I always have been more muscular, in the higher percentile, but you might not know it looking at me because it’s covered in a layer of fat. But I’d feel better about being at a higher weight if I knew I had more muscle and that’s what’s contributing to it.

You could always post a picture in a fitness forum and ask for honest opinions. Alternately, if you lift and think that you are strong and have a decent muscle base - but can't see it yet. You could look at sites like strength standards and compare your lifts to see where you stand. If you only rate beginner/novice you probably don't have as much of a base as you think. If you are solidly into high intermediate/advanced then it's probably there.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Are dexa scans or hydrostatic testing available near you? (Probably the most accurate estimations but cost varies a lot.)

When I got to my original goal weight I realised I wasn't quite as muscular under my fat suit as I used to be, hope you have a better result. :)

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Well I don’t look very muscular... I mean I’m not the worst thing ever but you probably hardly tell I lift, let alone workout (and I do both)

You look solid. Nice glutes and thighs. I’ll not try to guess bf% as I can’t see enough and I’m not particularly great at it with women.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My trainer does mine based on observation and caliper test...he does several points...7 or 9 or something like that.
  • quiksylver296
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My trainer does mine based on observation and caliper test...he does several points...7 or 9 or something like that.

Same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Same.

Right now he says I'm fluffy...about 6 Lbs up from my usual maintenance of 180...even at 180 I'm about 15%...trying to get down to 175 because we're building a pool and I'll be spending a lot more time with my shirt off.
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2018

Same.

Right now he says I'm fluffy...about 6 Lbs up from my usual maintenance of 180...even at 180 I'm about 15%...trying to get down to 175 because we're building a pool and I'll be spending a lot more time with my shirt off.

I'm bulking and up to 23% and I'm about at my mental limit. :laugh: I had to try on three pairs of pants yesterday morning before I found a pair I could wear to work.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    sirch454 wrote: »

This is one that I've used--it looks similar--it's good for ball-parking, too, and is consistent with the weigh/take measurements regularly school of thought.
  • jeny45fisher
    jeny45fisher Posts: 2 Member
    I use a SmartScale to track mine. I personally feel tracking it myself is too tedious and prone to errors ! So I use the SmartScale by Actofit ! You can check it out here - https://amazon.in/stores/page/C489FE5F-2326-4014-926E-798630DBCADB?ingress=3&visitId=d12abd89-91d3-4453-955e-2842ead86909
  • quiksylver296
    Great work on the changes you've made. I'd guesstimate 25-ish%.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    There’s an app I use (Body Tracker) that gives step by step instructions for using calipers. It covers 6 or 7 different methods and does all the averaging for you. You still need someone to take the measurements for you, but they don’t need any formal training.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Here are some better pictures. I’d love to think it’s not just all fat 😭 my waist has been getting smaller (used to be 35 inches, us now 31 inches) but my hips have pretty much stayed the same and I’m pretty insecure about my arms and my “hip dips”.

Visually, I have you around 25-26%. You are making great progress. So, keep on the path. Bear in mind of you try to calculate muscle mass, that everything that is lean mass is not muscle. You have bone, organs, water etc. 4 inches of your waist is great. I wouldn't be so concerned about the hips. I've lost 5+ inches off my waist and only 1 or 2 off my hips. I am now at a healthy hip to waist ratio.

You are progressing nicely! Keep going!