Healthier (but still tasty) snacks?

Options
I'm trying to learn to be better with food in general, every now and then I will give in (more like "give up") and buy a bag of chips/crisps.
They fill me up, are delicious and require 0 effort. However, I'm basically letting chips replace my meals for the day when I do give in (give up). They are very high in calorie (which is a problem when you are like me = continue to eat them until the bag is empty), doesn't give a very good macro profile, and my body absolutely hates them.
I gave in and bought a small bag today, finished it and *possible TMI warning* had to spend 15 min in the bathroom x2. I don't know what exactly it is that makes my body hate them so much, but it's the same with french fries.

I really want to cut out chips all together since I can't seem to make myself eat only a handful, but I feel that I will need something for the times when I give up. I need something that's easy, tastes good, is somewhat nutritious, and that fills me up. Any suggestions?

Also, almost forgot about this one, but I'm looking for plant based/vegan options.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Unsalted nuts, but if you struggle with control you might have the same issue, and they have even more calories.

If you want some salt (for me chips are basically a salt delivery vehicle), popcorn, spray lightly with oil. Or a pickle. Or raw veg, such as radishes or kohlrabi or celery or cucumber with a little salt on them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to eat is cottage cheese with sliced cucumbers (and tomatoes when my garden's in season) with everything bagel seasoning on all of it.
  • CitrusMaiden
    CitrusMaiden Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions! I have tried nuts before, I certainly don't eat as many of them (they don't taste nearly as good as chips, so that might be why) but I sometimes get stomach issues from those as well. I suppose it might be worth to try again, even if they're high in calories they do contain more "good stuff".
    Salt is definitely my weakness, popcorn might be an alright alternative. I've had people suggest popcorn to me in the past but I've never really taken it into consideration since I didn't see it as a competitor to chips, but if I'm going to quit chips, maybe popcorn is a good way to go.
    Raw veg would be way too expensive for me, sadly x)

I think making a vegan cottage cheese might be a bit too advanced for me in those moments, and I don't know if there's any way to do it without tofu (not very cheap around here). I guess I could try to make a batch and keep it in the fridge, maybe it's a hit?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sorry I missed the part where you said you were vegan
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options
    Oh, it's alright :) You made me look up vegan cottage cheese and now I might try it out!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegan snacks I really enjoy: Roasted seaweed (very low calorie and especially good when you're craving something crispy/salty), vegan jerky, hummus and vegetables (baby carrots, bell peppers, cucumber), cucumber slices dressed with vinegar, and popcorn. If you enjoy crisps and french fries, but they're bothering your stomach, it may be the fat. You might be able to get some enjoyment out of a microwaved regular/sweet potato with a bit of salt. I actually find this to be quite filling. I will microwave it and slice it into rounds.
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I think seaweed might be a bit too expensive for me, but the other options are doable for sure! Hummus I do all the time, but usually not to snack on.

Do you just put the potato (raw?) in the microwave? I've never cooked potatoes like that, how long does it usually take to cook? I also believe that it is the fat that my body have a hard time coping with.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I think seaweed might be a bit too expensive for me, but the other options are doable for sure! Hummus I do all the time, but usually not to snack on.

Do you just put the potato (raw?) in the microwave? I've never cooked potatoes like that, how long does it usually take to cook? I also believe that it is the fat that my body have a hard time coping with.

Yeah, I poke the potato with a fork and cook it for 5-8 minutes (depends on the power of your microwave and the save of the potato).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,496 Member
    Options
    If I feel like having a bag of crisps then I have a bag of crisps for dinner instead of a proper dinner. Problem is that I go hungry very quickly again. But that cures me for a while :p
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options

Yeah, I poke the potato with a fork and cook it for 5-8 minutes (depends on the power of your microwave and the save of the potato).

I'll have to try that, thank you! :)

yirara wrote: »
    If I feel like having a bag of crisps then I have a bag of crisps for dinner instead of a proper dinner. Problem is that I go hungry very quickly again. But that cures me for a while :p

Haha, I wish I didn't have the issues I do, I would probably not change if I didn't x) But, I should probably be happy that my body has started to protest, eating breakfast and then one bag of chips and call that it for the day? No bueno.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips. Seriously, so good and you get to eat chips. They come in pre-portioned bags. Same with Baked Chips.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions! I have tried nuts before, I certainly don't eat as many of them (they don't taste nearly as good as chips, so that might be why) but I sometimes get stomach issues from those as well. I suppose it might be worth to try again, even if they're high in calories they do contain more "good stuff".
    Salt is definitely my weakness, popcorn might be an alright alternative. I've had people suggest popcorn to me in the past but I've never really taken it into consideration since I didn't see it as a competitor to chips, but if I'm going to quit chips, maybe popcorn is a good way to go.

I think making a vegan cottage cheese might be a bit too advanced for me in those moments, and I don't know if there's any way to do it without tofu (not very cheap around here). I guess I could try to make a batch and keep it in the fridge, maybe it's a hit?

You're plant based/vegan but don't buy raw vegetables? If you tell us where you are located people might have suggestions for cheaper sources. Here in the US people speak highly of the prices at Aldis. Canadian posters do complain about the prices for fresh veggies.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Roasted salted chickpeas are a good, salty crunchy snack, but could be a calorie problem if you eat too many.

They're quite simple to make. Just drain and rinse chickpeas, toss or spray with olive oil, sprinkle on salt and pepper (if desired). You can add garlic, herbs, things like smoked paprika... and roast in a hot oven (around 450), stirring every now and then, until they are crunchy (about 35-45 minutes).
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots and hummus - gives the crunch I want sometimes.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are familiar with Beanitos or some other brand of bean chips...they are pricier than potato chips but way better for you...lots of fiber, but still have somewhat high fat, not as high as chips though. Also the fiber has a filling effect. A good snack is plain yogurt with a couple Tbsps of salsa as a dip...BUT if portion control when eating chips is an issue, it likely will be with these too...I also was curious about your comment re: vegetables too expensive??
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options
    Pop Chips. Seriously, so good and you get to eat chips. They come in pre-portioned bags. Same with Baked Chips.

I've never heard of that before, after googling it I don't think we got it where I live, sadly.

kshama2001 wrote: »

You're plant based/vegan but don't buy raw vegetables? If you tell us where you are located people might have suggestions for cheaper sources. Here in the US people speak highly of the prices at Aldis. Canadian posters do complain about the prices for fresh veggies.

I do buy raw veggies, I do stick to the cheaper kinds, but I do buy them. When it comes to snacking I want to be able to do it without worrying about it costing too much money.

I live in Sweden, I can get carrots, potatoes and such rather cheap, but those that grow above the soil... I don't know, maybe I'm being cheap, but they're expensive imo. Atm I am quite low on money, so that might be affecting the way I'm reasoning x)

Roasted salted chickpeas are a good, salty crunchy snack, but could be a calorie problem if you eat too many.

They're quite simple to make. Just drain and rinse chickpeas, toss or spray with olive oil, sprinkle on salt and pepper (if desired). You can add garlic, herbs, things like smoked paprika... and roast in a hot oven (around 450), stirring every now and then, until they are crunchy (about 35-45 minutes).

Sounds interesting, thank you for the tip!

Baby carrots and hummus - gives the crunch I want sometimes.

Thank you for the tip! Still not sure if I would want to eat hummus as a snack since I eat it so often with my meals, but who knows, maybe I can have it to every meal!
  • CitrusMaiden
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Not sure if you are familiar with Beanitos or some other brand of bean chips...they are pricier than potato chips but way better for you...lots of fiber, but still have somewhat high fat, not as high as chips though. Also the fiber has a filling effect. A good snack is plain yogurt with a couple Tbsps of salsa as a dip...BUT if portion control when eating chips is an issue, it likely will be with these too...I also was curious about your comment re: vegetables too expensive??

I have never heard of that before, but we do have chips made out of lentils and chickpeas around, they're just like chips to me though, I'll eat the entire bag. My portion control is only off when it comes to chips, my stomach is rather "small" but somehow I can manage to eat 300g of chips.

Maybe I should go with carrots and a dip, though, wouldn't that make me turn orange if I eat it often? (genuine concern) I guess I could make the potatoes in the microwave as someone suggested above, and dip those, but how would they hold up? Oh, I don't know!

And with the veggies, yeah, most of the ones who grow above soil are quite expensive (to me) around here. I love broccoli but I only buy the frozen type. Tomatoes are fine but I wouldn't want to snack on those. Celery, kale, cucumber, bell pepper etc cost too much for me to justify snacking on it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I have never heard of that before, but we do have chips made out of lentils and chickpeas around, they're just like chips to me though, I'll eat the entire bag. My portion control is only off when it comes to chips, my stomach is rather "small" but somehow I can manage to eat 300g of chips.

Maybe I should go with carrots and a dip, though, wouldn't that make me turn orange if I eat it often? (genuine concern) I guess I could make the potatoes in the microwave as someone suggested above, and dip those, but how do they hold up? Oh, I don't know!

And with the veggies, yeah, most of the ones who grow above soil are quite expensive (to me) around here. I love broccoli but I only buy the frozen type. Tomatoes are fine but I wouldn't want to snack on those. Celery, kale, cucumber, bell pepper etc cost too much for me to justify snacking on it.

It is possible to turn orange if you eat too many vegetables that are high in beta carotene (like carrots), but it would have to be awful lot.
  • CitrusMaiden
    Options

Maybe I should go with carrots and a dip, though, wouldn't that make me turn orange if I eat it often? (genuine concern) I guess I could make the potatoes in the microwave as someone suggested above, and dip those, but how do they hold up? Oh, I don't know!

It is possible to turn orange if you eat too many vegetables that are high in beta carotene (like carrots), but it would have to be awful lot.

I do eat carrots with my food (I like carrots), but I doubt that I would ever go above 2 carrots a day if that was my snack as well. Sounds nice and safe, I hope? Now, maybe I'd look good orange, but I doubt it.
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Popcorn
    Carrots and cucumbers with guacamole dip
    Two breadsticks with yoghurt and fruit
    Oatmeal
    Ricecakes with fruit honey