Number of exercise per muscle group

Options
So I’ve decided to to do in a week (2X days of Back+Shoulder+Bicep) and (2X days of Chest+legs&glutes+Tricep) = 4 days a week strength training. I’m searching about how many exercises to do in one day and I read to do 5-6 exercises per muscle group, my question is does that mean 5-6 exercise for the whole muscle groups (Like for all the back shoulders and bi ) = 5 total in a day. Or 5-6 for each of them ( Like Ex: 5 for back, 5 for shoulder and 5 for bi) = 15 total in a day , I’m so confused please help 🤕

Replies

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It means overall. Compound exercises count. So if you did tricep curls, they'd only count for triceps, but if you did dips, they'd count for every muscle group it hits including triceps, shoulders, etc. Are you new to lifting? If so, I'd recommend starting slower (otherwise the soreness will be killer) and getting a personal trainer at least for a short period of time to show you the ropes.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Total.

Is there a reason you aren't doing an established program?
  • Noufsul
    Noufsul Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @pyrusangeles I am new, and believe me I’d wish for a trainer. By slower you mean less exercises than 5-6 ? Moreover, so you think I should do exercise that can workout two or three muscles groups once and mix it with other exercises that focuses only on (like the tricep curls you mentioned) to minimize the number of exercises per day?
  • Noufsul
    Noufsul Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @jjpptt2 what kind of reason?
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Noufsul wrote: »
    @pyrusangeles I am new, and believe me I’d wish for a trainer. By slower you mean less exercises than 5-6 ? Moreover, so you think I should do exercise that can workout two or three muscles groups once and mix it with other exercises that focuses only on (like the tricep curls you mentioned) to minimize the number of exercises per day?

Yes- slow as in don't try to do 5-6 exercises per muscle group in the beginning. A progressive weight training program is a great idea. I'm not sure which ones to recommend- I got a trainer when I started. @jjpptt2 may have some ideas for you. Google probably does too. 😜

I think compound exercises (squats, dips, pull- and push-ups, burpees, planks, etc.) are very beneficial when you're getting started. They'll help you build a base with your large muscle groups.

Usually with a gym membership you can get a free consultation and someone to walk you through how to do each exercise and use the machines. They can show you proper form. If you're unable to do that, check out some videos on YouTube and use a mirror or a buddy to ensure you're doing the movements correctly.

I hope this was helpful!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Self-designed programs by newbies almost always end up imbalanced, so it's best to follow a proven program designed by a pro. For a list of beginner plans, see the pinned post "Most Helpful Posts" and click "Which lifting program". There's also a program in my profile.
    If you need more help, state your specific goal, and the equipment you have. :+1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Self-designed programs by newbies almost always end up imbalanced, so it's best to follow a proven program designed by a pro. For a list of beginner plans, see the pinned post "Most Helpful Posts" and click "Which lifting program". There's also a program in my profile.
    If you need more help, state your specific goal, and the equipment you have. :+1:

Follow this advice, OP. There's absolutely no reason for you to spend any time building your own program. You do not have the knowledge or experience to build one. That's not an insult, it's just reality. There are plenty of well balanced and free programs for you to review and choose from. Then you can spend your time lifting rather than fretting over what exercises to do and how many times to do them.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto. If you're new, just go with an established beginner program. Most that I know of are full body, 3x per week, <1hr in gym, and *1* exercise total per muscle group. You don't need to throw all the things at each muscle group starting out (or possibly ever).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Number of exercises per body group will differ based on overall goals. IF it's like most (tone up the muscle), then the established FULL BODY workout with a couple of exercises per body part is usually just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png