intermittent fasting 16:8

Options
1235»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You do realize that not all these studies show a benefit, right?

One of them concludes that IF as practiced during Ramadan has limited positive impacts, doesn't appear to positively impact metabolism, and results in disrupted circadian rhythms and sleep patterns. They conclude the negative changes are significant enough that it "could be responsible for the high incidence of road traffic accidents and the reduction of working hours during the month of Ramadan."

https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/81076

Anyone can Google, the question was about actual positive effects. Presumably the people sharing the studies would have at least done a cursory read of them.

I happen to think that having a wide breadth of studies, negative and positive, are helpful. There are positive ones in there.

I think the accuracy and relevancy of the studies are what matter. Are there studies in here that you find particularly compelling when it comes to the benefits of IF or did you just Google?
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

One of them concludes that IF as practiced during Ramadan has limited positive impacts, doesn't appear to positively impact metabolism, and results in disrupted circadian rhythms and sleep patterns. They conclude the negative changes are significant enough that it "could be responsible for the high incidence of road traffic accidents and the reduction of working hours during the month of Ramadan."

Anyone can Google, the question was about actual positive effects. Presumably the people sharing the studies would have at least done a cursory read of them.

I happen to think that having a wide breadth of studies, negative and positive, are helpful. There are positive ones in there.

I think the accuracy and relevancy of the studies are what matter. Are there studies in here that you find particularly compelling when it comes to the benefits of IF or did you just Google?

Not just Google but Google Scholar! My university of old doesn't maintain licenses for alumni...the reader can check out the articles to see if they are peer reviewed if they are so inclined. There are positive and negative and neutral effects I am certain with anything, even with IF. Everyone can say it has no positive impact, and that is fine for them, but I have noticed many positive impacts with symptoms of IBS with myself. Sure, it is anecdotal but it is still something to consider.
  • janejellyroll
    edited December 2018
    Options

Not just Google but Google Scholar! My university of old doesn't maintain licenses for alumni...the reader can check out the articles to see if they are peer reviewed if they are so inclined. There are positive and negative and neutral effects I am certain with anything, even with IF. Everyone can say it has no positive impact, and that is fine for them, but I have noticed many positive impacts with symptoms of IBS with myself. Sure, it is anecdotal but it is still something to consider.

Since you are skeptical about the validity of studies (which you seem to be) and believe your personal experience with IF is what people should take into account, why answer the question at all?

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Since you are skeptical about the validity of studies (which you seem to be) and believe your personal experience with IF is what people should take into account, why answer the question at all?

I don't believe she's arguing the validity of studies and I think I understand what she means. Basically, with many things exercise & nutrition you will find a variety of results in the peer-reviewed studies. For just about anything you will find studies that suggest that the results are positive, suggests absolutely nothing and that further research is warranted, or suggests that the results are negative. Even within those results, you'll find outliers. In school for my degree I read well over 400 pieces of peer-reviewed research and I can with confidence that very few things are ever absolute in the realm of exercise & nutrition. Note that I didn't say nothing is absolute, just fewer than most people would expect.

As it pertains to IF specifically, there is peer-reviewed research that shows some positive and some negative or that it doesn't really matter when you compare IF to basic calorie restriction. Granted, if we're talking just sheer weight loss IF and basic Calorie restriction show basically the same results. Which I think most of us would expect. However, the IF results do suggest that IF is better at maintaining lean muscle mass. There are others that suggest certain health markers do improve.

I think that because IF is such a hot topic that we'll continue to see more and more research done over the next couple years, so it should be interesting either way the results go.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I happen to think that having a wide breadth of studies, negative and positive, are helpful. There are positive ones in there. If I just wanted POSITIVE I would have changed my boolean query...instead, I used a very unbiased 'intermittent fasting'.

The post you seemed to be replying to asked for links that showed proof of positive effects of IF, so I think most people would've interpreted your post as you presenting a list supporting positive results of IF, since you didn't say anything else.

Unfortunately, we often get people here who when asked for proof, just throw back a list of links they claim are proof, but when actually read thru it turns out most of the sources are not supportive at all, so it kind of looked like that's what was going on.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

chill out there Mashed Potatoes, and stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater

I'm perfectly chill, but thanks for the concern.

If you can't identify if there is a baby in the bathwater (AKA, the good study in the giant Google-produced list), how do you expect anyone else to be able to? You're asking us to never drain the bath because there *could* be a baby in it, but who knows, what is truth anyway?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    JAYxMSxPES wrote: »

I don't believe she's arguing the validity of studies and I think I understand what she means. Basically, with many things exercise & nutrition you will find a variety of results in the peer-reviewed studies. For just about anything you will find studies that suggest that the results are positive, suggests absolutely nothing and that further research is warranted, or suggests that the results are negative. Even within those results, you'll find outliers. In school for my degree I read well over 400 pieces of peer-reviewed research and I can with confidence that very few things are ever absolute in the realm of exercise & nutrition. Note that I didn't say nothing is absolute, just fewer than most people would expect.

As it pertains to IF specifically, there is peer-reviewed research that shows some positive and some negative or that it doesn't really matter when you compare IF to basic calorie restriction. Granted, if we're talking just sheer weight loss IF and basic Calorie restriction show basically the same results. Which I think most of us would expect. However, the IF results do suggest that IF is better at maintaining lean muscle mass. There are others that suggest certain health markers do improve.

I think that because IF is such a hot topic that we'll continue to see more and more research done over the next couple years, so it should be interesting either way the results go.

It could be that she isn't arguing the validity of studies, but when someone posts a giant pile of studies in response to a specific request and then says they think a "wide breadth" is more important any individual study, it strikes me as similar to saying that it doesn't really matter what a study shows.

Typically, the type of person who discusses studies with statements like "Everyone can say . . . " is someone who is actively discounting the role that studies have in helping us understand human nutrition (or anything, really). It's a rhetorical throwing up of hands and asking "How can we ever know the truth anyway?"

That she follows it up with an appeal for us to consider her anecdotal experience instead of studies confirms my suspicions.

A more thoughtful approach to a large number of studies on a subject is figuring out how to effectively evaluate them, not just be impressed by the large number of them and conclude that the truth must bounce around between them evenly.