I don’t get it

Options
Today was the day of my bi-weekly weigh in (blind weights). I’ve been eating 1200-1400 calories a day and exercising about 3-4 times a week. I try to burn 600 on the elliptical when I go. Before this I was averaging 5 pounds weight loss every weigh in. Today’s weight loss? A measly pound. For two whole weeks. I’m so mad at myself right now. Granted, I did go out with my classmates last night to celebrate the end of the quarter (I had a Cobb salad and tried to scrape off the cheese and use minimal dressing. I had one beer too). I ate more like 1500 yesterday because of that. But today I went straight back to what I had been eating and I had a pretty intense workout session. I know sodium can cause some water retention, but that much? Shouldn’t I see the scale move a little more? I was venting to my husband and he told me I just need to eat less and work harder, which is so frustrating because I feel like what I’m doing already is a lot. I don’t think I’ll ever be thin and I’m so mad at myself. I know I said that already, but I am. I’m just a fat failure :(

Replies

• MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Yes, sodium can make a difference if it makes you retain water. It can also be because you pushed a bit harder in the gym (muscles retaining water as they repair themselves), or a lot of other reasons. With weighting yourself just once every 2 weeks all you know is your weight that day and weight fluctuates up and down. Maybe yesterday you were a pound more down. As long as you're achieving a downward trend, you're making progress.

5 pounds every 2 weeks is 2.5 lbs a week, that's a bit of an agressive rate. How much weight do you have to lose overall? How much still til goal? How much weight have you lost already? It's normal for weightloss to be quick when you start, and slow as you go.

Not sure if you weigh your food, but there's always the chance you are eating more than you think. Are you eating back your exercise calories? (You should).

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to stop taking weight loss advice from your husband. Your rate is already WAY too aggressive and MFP is designed for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. A 600 calorie burn sounds too high, as most MFP database estimates are, but you should at least be eating back half of that, likely more. At your current weight, at the rate you are losing, you are costing yourself a lot of lean muscle mass which is not only unhealthy, but won't be very asthetically pleasing in the end. A woman needs to net at least 1200 to meet her body's basic requirements.

By the way that burn is based off the elliptical machine itself (which I realize might be off), not MFP database. I don’t even track it on here because i haven’t been eating back my exercise calories.

I can't speak to the accuracy of elliptical machines, but honestly, based on your rate of loss, it sounds like you could be eating those 600 calories no problem. And a food scale is always a good idea. Most people tend to underestimate how much they are eating, but you don't want to be cheating yourself either.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    After you lose the weight you'll have to watch watch your portions so you won't gain it back. Get a food scale--the last 20 lbs are the hardest. Start to study your portions, and your macros--protein, carbs, fat and sugar. I agree that you shouldn't lose more than 1 lb a week. You are too nervous and need to calm down. Eat enough to fuel your workouts and maybe throw in some yoga or meditation. Your husband is very different from you (mine is exactly the same, only he doesn't give me advice) so don't listen to him. He means well. Good luck. Remember aside from looks, you're doing this for your health.