Grief

Any advice on how to continue while grieving.

Replies

• cherchechristine
    cherchechristine Posts: 84 Member
    Do the minimum--and don't beat yourself up when you fall off program. i found that returning to workout helped me immensely. The fog will eventually dissipate and you'll start to focus once again. But, get your exercise--it's great for you mentally and physically.
  • lnoelg
    lnoelg Posts: 3 Member
    Take the time you need to be sad but you can still live your life while you grieve. Some people never slow down, let the grief fuel their determination. Some people need to slug as mbaker put it and let their body physically recover from the trauma of grief. The key is self awareness. Ask yourself are you resting because you need to or are you making excuses. If you need to rest then forgive yourself for taking the break and do it. If you are making an excuse maybe you should try and figure out why... and that might help you get back on track.

Anyway grief is incredibly complicated and unique to each individual so there is no one right way to get past it in your fitness routines but I wish you the best.
  • teraceta
    teraceta Posts: 1 Member
    I think you need to be a little selfish right now. Be kind to yourself. Grief is a rollercoaster of emotions and it sucks and I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer and I’m sorry for your loss.
  • Lilutz
    Lilutz Posts: 389 Member
    Since my Shuggie (my dog, and only family member left) died on Easter Sunday, I took 10 days with my grief and decided to recommit. That was a mistake, it seems. Every day I recommit, and every day I fail, which just makes me feel worse about my situation.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    When you grieve, your heart still beats, the sun still rises and sets, the world continues on. So do you. It just happens.

Personally, doing things was how I grieved, because accomplishing tasks felt better than sitting around being in pain. I packed things, moved furniture, cleaned, talked to banks and well wishers and everyone.

But if you need to just sit and be sad, if that works for you, then do it. You can pick up everything else when you're done.

Also: sleep enough, drink lots of water, move around a little. I resented the heck out of my grandpa for making me go on walks with him at first, but those walks helped me sleep and eased some of my tension.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    Grieve, but remember the good times, not the sad/bad times. If you've lost a loved one, remember, they would not want you burying yourself in grief over them, so honor them by caring for yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    For me, it helped to just go through the motions of regular life. I felt numb, like I was sleepwalking or something, mostly, but with periods of more emotion. In my case, the most difficult loss was my husband (he was 45, I was 43 at the time). I kept telling myself that he wanted me to go on with life, to strive to be happy, and that I should respect that for his sake.

In that kind of context, cooking, logging, etc., would be part of going ough the motions.

I think everyone does it differently, though. I'd just encourage you to do something, not shut yourself away from the world. The people I've seen shut themselves away, have not done too well overall - it's hard to come out of, once it becomes a habit.

For me, going through life's regular motions was a slow on-ramp to normality. Gradually, over time, normal feelings and reactions started to seep back into the motions. It took a while; I just kept moving until I got there. It doesn't ever totally go away, I think, but it gets smaller in the rear-view mirror.

Wishing you healing!
  • mystoflaura1
    mystoflaura1 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in year 2 of grieving a 41 year relationship. Only those married a long long time no how this is devastating. I mean i have lost mother ,father, and brothers and sister, and friends but that's nothing like losing a long term spouse
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    look at eating heathy and working out as a diversion from your grief. a distraction. Everyone is so different..and greiving is a cloud. My friend who just lost her husband is swimming and throwing herself into getting fit as a way to cope. I hope you find your way and I'm sorry you are sad.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 456 Member
    @mystoflaura1 (hugs)
    -- tuff stuff.