I Miss Running

Options
After hitting my stride running in August, my legs "quit" end of August. Haven't run since.

Two physios, many visits to an RMT and finally the chiro we finally had xrays of the knees (though I should go do the hips too) and there is mild osteoarthiritis in both knees the the real issue to fix now is the patella is pulling to the side (patellar subluxation).

so current plan is to relax the IT band to relax and hopefully get the patella back in place before considering trying to get back into running. Not sure it will be realistic to keep aiming to increase distance (much less my goal of a half marathon).

of course since finding out i've been paranoid and my knees seem all the more 'achy" haha.

I hope to get into doing some weights at home (I have a bunch of stuff), cross country ski for the winter than biking in the summer. not sure if those sports are better, which check with the chiro (and other doctors).

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I remember reading about your injury, I’m sorry things aren’t better yet. I was having knee trouble around the same time, but mine ended up getting better after I got new shoes. Arthritis and knee replacement seems to run in my family, I expect one day I won’t be able to run again either. I will probably go back to swimming. Have you ever tried swimming? In many ways I’ve been able to relate the two exercises, they seem to help each other at least. You can build up your endurance in the water and cross train on days you aren’t running once you get back at it. If you have a YMCA near you they usually have a pool. I used to be a lifeguard at one and saw many people of all different ages and abilities, many were often recovering from injuries. The water really is gentle on the knees.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've had arthritis since I was a teenager due to injury to my knees. I started running last year. My arthritis rarely bothers me anymore but when my knees get achy from longer mileage or cold weather, I tape them. KT tape has been a life saver for so many things.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean when you say you miss running. I had a weak VMO that caused knee pain inferior to the patella. Be careful in any exercise you do, as it takes a long time to heal. Good luck!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Actually I am back at the chiro today and have questions I forgot to ask, he confirmed no running til it's fixed but didn't mention anything else I should not be doing. Should i moderate my walking? stairs? i've sorta been walking away this entire time (I was going for an average of 19,000 steps a day). Should i stop yoga (or maybe if not stop are there special things I should opt out of).

all the more inventive for me to actually get back into my weight routine (and abs). I have weak arms :P
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Actually I am back at the chiro today and have questions I forgot to ask, he confirmed no running til it's fixed but didn't mention anything else I should not be doing. Should i moderate my walking? stairs? i've sorta been walking away this entire time (I was going for an average of 19,000 steps a day). Should i stop yoga (or maybe if not stop are there special things I should opt out of).

all the more inventive for me to actually get back into my weight routine (and abs). I have weak arms :P

Please speak further to your chiro - 19k steps is a heck of a lot with knee/hip problems. Stairs give my knees problems, especially descending. Take care and look after yourself.

P.s I miss running too but its so nice not to have knee/hip issues since I stopped - I took up biking instead.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm with you... I pushed myself to do a little too much, too soon and hurt one of my knees, but continued to run on it in the hopes that it would resolve itself. When it didn't get better after about two weeks, I took a week off without any "replacement" or maintenance exercise, and two days after I started running again my other knee started to hurt from itbs, which was probably due to some overcorrection or overcompensation... I tried to run through that while applying some gait and stride changes, and stopped again after about another week. Since then I've been using my stationary bike without any pain or discomfort (except for the mental and emotional discomfort of not being able to run) and incorporating some strengthening and flexibility exercises with the hope that I'll be able to resolve the issue on my own since my doctor and chiropractor haven't been able to help.

I can't comment on weights or skiing cause I don't do either, but from what I've read, if you're able to ride a bike or stationary bike without pain it can be one of the better options for active rehab-- especially if your priority is being able to return to running-- because it uses similar muscles with minimal impact to your joints and can help maintain muscular and cardiovascular fitness and endurance while you're not able to run.

Best of luck with your healing, and I hope you're able to get some answers to your questions in the process ❤️
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I DID ask my chiro. he is keen on my continuing to move but not sure he could contextualize steps. I do plan to stick to between 12,000-15,000 for now though. He did say no unnecessary steps. I live in a walk-up so lots of stairs at home but will stop using them at work and doing unnecessary steps at home.

i am going to seriously consider spinning-cycling and figure out how to do that! (like, where either gym or spinning class)