Stopped counting calories, still losing weight!

Options
I stopped counting calories and I am still losing weight every week! How?! Whole foods plant based diet! Google it.

My true what I eat in a week and how I plan to change in 2019.

Breakfast: at least four+ times a week is from Taco Bell. I get the fiesta potato breakfast griller no cheese and no eggs add guac and beans. And a medium Pepsi.
The other days I will have my banana blueberry muffins and fruit, but I always end up starving by 10 am after eating at 8

Lunch: I have Vegan frozen meals from a brand called Amy's they only have two vegan options at my grocery and I eat one or both of those two everyday, they are over 400 calories each and I sometimes have two

Dinner: I eat pizza and cheesy bread at least on night a week. Another night I will go out, either for Chinese or I go to the steak house and get a Philly steak with no steak and mashed potatoes with buttery rolls. The rest of the days I eat whole foods that I meal prepped on Sunday. This week it was a vegan soup, last week it was a vegan meatloaf served with roasted brussel sprouts.

When I was counting calories I was averaging 1600+ calories per day. I stopped because it didn't seem to make a difference I still lost weight whether I had 1400 or 1800 a day.

In 2019 I'm kicking off January participating in a challenge called Veganuary. So that takes care of my cheesy bread and pizza, buttery rolls, and steak house mashed potatoes.
But I am taking it a step further to also avoid added oils, and cooking with oils, soda, and all processed/packaged foods unless the ingredients are super basic, like pasta -salt, water, wheat flour

Judge me!

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.... 😐
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I can do the same by eating any food and staying under 4500 calories on average because that would be a deficit at my current weight activity level.

I think you might want to consider what is losing weight entails also. Of course it's not all fat.

• smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    SVZee wrote: »
    smit7633 wrote: »
    If you eat more plants you don't have to count calories, is my point. And I'm just being honest about my transition to a WFPB diet. I am a work in progress but still losing weight. If I eat 21 times a week and only 6 meals are not WFPB then that means I am 71% WFPB. And I have a plan to transition to 100% in January. I believe we could all be satisfied and could stop counting calories and still meet our goals with this way of eating and I want to share my success. If even one person thinks about trying a plant based diet from this post I'd be happy.

I've done WFPB and enjoy that way of eating. However, it's still easy to overeat on calories with this method-things like nuts, seeds, whole grains and beans can add up quickly in terms of calories. WFPB didn't do anything magical for me in terms of weight management.

Sorry to hear that.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    SVZee wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I stopped counting calories and I am still losing weight every week! How?! Whole foods plant based diet! Google it.

Calorie deficit... google it...

You think I don't know? Some people on here are obsessively counting calories and still struggling to lose weight and have a calorie deficit. It's hard to eat too many calories when you eat wfbp diet so I don't know how you couldn't create a deficit and meet your goal with this type of eating. And you don't have to obsess over counting calories.

How long have you eaten WFPB? I did it for over 2 years, and I was already in maintenance and I didn't lose any weight while following the woe. I actually had to be very careful with some of the WFPB items that I had added, because they were causing me to go over my calorie intake goals. My daily green smoothies were clocking in at over 500 calories due to things like chia seeds and bananas.

I just started in Sept and I've lost 20 lbs so far. Glad to see you found a healthy balance with a WFPB diet. I hope I can do the same.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I can do the same by eating any food and staying under 4500 calories on average because that would be a deficit at my current weight activity level.

I think you might want to consider what is losing weight entails also. Of course it's not all fat.

Same here. Well except I am maintaining, and minus about 1700 calories from that. ;)