im bored with what ive been eatting...........

Options
Im a diabetic and on a low 1200 calorie diet and am in the need of new recipes that u guys have tried that u think a family a four picky eaters would eat(two tweens,one teen, and a very picky man that loves his meat and potatoes) lol he was raised by his grandparents so SOS!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Im a diabetic and on a low 1200 calorie diet and am in the need of new recipes that u guys have tried that u think a family a four picky eaters would eat(two tweens,one teen, and a very picky man that loves his meat and potatoes) lol he was raised by his grandparents so SOS!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Easy, stop being picky. :D
  • msstillion79
    Options
    lol im not picky its my family they are and theres five of us and i just want to make one meal and not one for them and one for me k Maybe u can tell my fiancee that would help lol:happy:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Every family is different, your best bet is probably to google things your family will eat. My family isn't that picky, then again..they're not going to leave the table until they're done. Have you tried turkey burgers and sweet potato fries- that's one of my favs if I'm craving a burger and fries.
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    My family has been on a taco kick lately. Adding onions, green pepper, habanero, cayenne, little salt, little black pepper, and a little cummin to the meat tastes great to me (be careful if you don't like spicy haha.) The veggies help the meat go further with less too. A little lettuce and cheese and some shells and you have a nice couple tacos.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump..me too...bored!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you. Your best bet is to cook 2 different meals. You can try to combine them. But like different sauces, or seperate whatever. Might want to look at what the vegetarians do with families.
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi there,

Here is a months worth of ideas:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/400-calorie-dinners-00000000027141/index.html?viewdate=20110302

I have tried a few and love them!

That said, I am a bit bored too but it is for a good cause. I eat meat or fish, veg and starch every night - 1/4 of the plate with meat or fish, 1/4 with starch and 1/2 with veg - that is for the meat and potato lover in you :-) Tonight I had steak, taters, and green beans (steamed - so yummy). But from this you can make a cool variation for example by making it a stir fry, or using mie noodles, couscous, rice or pasta for the starch, or with different spices for the meat.

Oh yeah, and for my husband (who had never had a weight problem! grr) he gets extra of what we have :-)

I sure hope this helps!

Cheers, Christy
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i've been making chilli recently with half and half extra lean beef and ground turkey breast which brings the cal count down a fair bit. you can also hide a surprising amount of vegetables in the sauce too:)

pork escallops are good too. i coat them in pesto breadcrumbs (2 slices of some lovely whole grain soya and linseed bread & a couple of heaped teaspoons of pesto (~40g) blitzed together does 4 100g pieces) and fry in a touch of olive oil and it comes out at about 350cal a piece and you can reduce that by being clever with your choice of breadcrumbs and swapping the pesto for fresh herbs, or whole grain mustard or whatever your favorite flavouring.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a picky eater, I just make myself something different. I eat alot of stir frys and I love turkey I think I have turkey breast in half of the meals in one week. I also eat alot of fish. I like simple foods.
  • Miler
    Miler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try some of the grillmates seasonings for pork chops or chicken, for the sides you can make rice or potatoes, try some yams (lower glycemic index) grilled or steamed veggies and always a fresh green salad . You can eat what you can and they can have what they like. I like to skip the carb and make a salad meal like, aisan chicken or taco.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I made fried rice a couple days ago that was very good and low cal. (Making it yourself dramatically cuts the calorie/fat count.)

Four cups (cooked) rice, 2 cups frozen peas & carrots, an onion, 2 eggs, and 4 oz of lean ham cooked in 2 Tbsp of oil (1 for the veggies and 1 for the rice) comes in just over 1100 Calories for the whole pot! A big, 2-cup portion of that is only 275 Calories which is surprisingly coming close to not being enough Calories for a dinner. (I actually ate 3 cups, but I'm on 1750 Cal/day. I was freaking stuffed for <400 Cal!) For the non-dieting members of the family cook a protein separately and mix it into their portion for another couple hundred calories.

I realize this isn't a real recipe because it doesn't address spices and sauces or the techniques. Basically find any fried rice recipe online and follow that except cut out all the oil except for a couple tablespoons and you're most of the way there.
  • DavisKarenR
    Options

The barley has a very potatoe-y feel in this stew. Even my vegetable-hating husband loves this stew.

1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    4 cups beef broth
    1 cup no sugar added Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
    1 14 oz can Red Gold petite chopped tomatoes
    2/3 cup pearled barley
    1.5 teaspoons dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of all visible fat

Dump it all in a crock pot, set to low for 8-10 hours. YUMMY!! Serves 6.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving (per MFP):
    504 Calories
    38 Carbs
    13 Grams Fat (5 Saturated)
    55 Grams Protein
    9 Grams Fiber
    6 Grams Sugar
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if u have a Muscle Maker Grill by u try it. Great food and low calories.
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    check out.... www.eatbetteramerica.com .....they have some fabulous recipes for you to try.:tongue:
  • Sharonsimon
    Sharonsimon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hi i make kebabs using tikka chicken strips weight watcher pitta bread and obviousy salad, the hubby and kids love them, we also use branston chilli sauce and extra light hellmans mayo with lazy garlic easy meal low calories around 350 cals
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you. Your best bet is to cook 2 different meals. You can try to combine them. But like different sauces, or seperate whatever. Might want to look at what the vegetarians do with families.

Sadly, I do this. Toddler either has a simple dinner plate with a veggie, fruit, protein, carb OR eats a simple (non-spicy) version of what we have.

I have been doing so much diet / meatless, I make one version for me, one for SO. A lot of work, but we all are happy and I don't have to hear complaints from SO about diet food. :p

To get out of the rut, try http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/

They let you search by ingredient and they have special recipe collections, like for kids or 5 ingredient max, so you can easily avoid what the picky eaters refuse.
  • msstillion79
    Options
    :drinker: Thank you everyone for the great ideas ill try them take care!!!!!!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • Cchappell10
    Options
    Recipe Sounds Great.... BUMP!