Can you gain LBM without exercise

Options
I know you can lose muscle, bone density etc through calorie deficit - I’d like to know if you can gain those things purely from a calorie surplus?
I’m planning to gain about 7lbs and would like to replace some of the lean weight but I’m not planning to exercise, is this possible?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any activities outside the gym that could stimulate your muscles? Otherwise, probably not. You will gain mostly if not all fat. Your body won't work hard to build muscle if it is given no reason to.

In some cases gaining fat can be beneficial if you are very underweight or as recommended by a doctor (not sure if either applies).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What Sardelsa said. You would not likely gain much muscle mass without exercise. You've gotta do something to those muscles to make your body build them.

Why are you not planning on exercise? Are you physically unable to do so?
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    In short, no. May I ask why 7 pounds exactly is your goal and why you don’t intend to exercise? If it’s an issue of time or location then even some quick work outs at home would be more beneficial than doing nothing. Doing nothing pretty much guarantees that the surplus will result in purely fat gains.

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    7lbs is a guess really, my bmi is 19 and I’m 5’10 so I think I need to gain something. I don’t want to get too into exercise, I don’t mind doing a bit but don’t really want to make it a routine.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea, even if you can. This was me twenty-six months ago:

cq8ltsfs3hnd.png

I topped the scales at 254lbs at 5'3". However, in order for me to haul myself about, there had to be a certain amount of muscle under the fat. How much? Can't tell you. How much was lost when I started getting down to a healthy size? Can't tell you that either, but about a year and a half ago I started strength training to try to hold onto what I'd built without trying. I'm almost at a healthy weight now and I can see a bit of muscularity, mostly on my arms, shoulders, and thighs. But keep in mind that I went to Obesity Level 3 to build that muscle, got a major health scare, and some permanent issues.

I really, truly, hope you don't consider that an acceptable price.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    7lbs is a guess really, my bmi is 19 and I’m 5’10 so I think I need to gain something. I don’t want to get too into exercise, I don’t mind doing a bit but don’t really want to make it a routine.

If you can, I would highly recommend you do some sort of resistance exercise. Muscle is not only great for aesthetics but for health as well.
  • Kdp2015
    Options

cq8ltsfs3hnd.png

I topped the scales at 254lbs at 5'3". However, in order for me to haul myself about, there had to be a certain amount of muscle under the fat. How much? Can't tell you. How much was lost when I started getting down to a healthy size? Can't tell you that either, but about a year and a half ago I started strength training to try to hold onto what I'd built without trying. I'm almost at a healthy weight now and I can see a bit of muscularity, mostly on my arms, shoulders, and thighs. But keep in mind that I went to Obesity Level 3 to build that muscle, got a major health scare, and some permanent issues.

Sorry I’m confused, were you underweight before you gained the muscle?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

If you can, I would highly recommend you do some sort of resistance exercise. Muscle is not only great for aesthetics but for health as well.

Thanks I will try to, I just don’t want to focus on it too much - if I end up gaining 7lbs of fat so be it but I would like to rebuild at least some of the lean mass I’ve lost.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

cq8ltsfs3hnd.png

No, I gained the muscle from being fat and heavy and needing extra strength to haul myself about. When that picture was taken, I was 114lbs above the top of the normal weight range for my height. My body had to build enough muscle for me to carry that flab with me, and I did take long walks, even at my heaviest. I just "rewarded" myself with a chocolate bar or ice cream after them, but it's not like I was a total couch potato.

That's why, when people are losing weight, the general advice is to work in strength training: most of us have built up significant muscle, even if it's hiding under the fat. It's best to hold onto it.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Yep, thanks I get that but I’m talking about intentionally gaining weight not losing it.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options

How did you measure that? While low, 19 is still within normal range. If your goal is to just gain weight and you don’t intend on changing any habits other than eating, then be prepared for your weight gain to be fat with no control over where it goes. I could be wrong here, but you wouldn’t be asking a question about gaining lean body mass if that wasn’t something you wanted. Exercise offers many benefits other than muscle gain too. :)
  • Kdp2015
    Options

How did you measure that? While low, 19 is still within normal range. If your goal is to just gain weight and you don’t intend on changing any habits other than eating, then be prepared for your weight gain to be fat with no control over where it goes. I could be wrong here, but you wouldn’t be asking a question about gaining lean body mass if that wasn’t something you wanted. Exercise offers many benefits other than muscle gain too. :)
    I need to gain weight regardless of what form it comes in, I would just feel more comfortable doing it if I didn’t think it was all fat.
    19 is within the normal range but that doesn’t mean it is healthy for everyone and I didn’t get to that weight in a healthy way.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

cq8ltsfs3hnd.png

I topped the scales at 254lbs at 5'3". However, in order for me to haul myself about, there had to be a certain amount of muscle under the fat. How much? Can't tell you. How much was lost when I started getting down to a healthy size? Can't tell you that either, but about a year and a half ago I started strength training to try to hold onto what I'd built without trying. I'm almost at a healthy weight now and I c..an see a bit of muscularity, mostly on my arms, shoulders, and thighs. But keep in mind that I went to Obesity Level 3 to build that muscle, got a major health scare, and some permanent issues.

What she is saying is that she had to build a fair amount of muscle to be able to carry her weight around. You're going to gain some muscle if you put on a lot of weight...like obese kind of weight in order to be able to move around.

You're not going to gain any muscle gaining 7 Lbs without resistance training. With a solid eating plan and solid lifting program you might possibly get a 50/50 split of muscle and fat gaining 7 Lbs...without resistance training it's pretty much all going to be adipose tissue...not that it would necessarily be a bad thing if you're underweight.

Thank you that makes sense :)
    Resistance training doesn’t sound too scary I’ll look into it thanks
  • sardelsa
    Options

I need to gain weight regardless of what form it comes in, I would just feel more comfortable doing it if I didn’t think it was all fat.
    19 is within the normal range but that doesn’t mean it is healthy for everyone and I didn’t get to that weight in a healthy way.

It sounds like you may have lost a lot of muscle in the process of getting where you are by doing so without exercise/ aggressively. If that is what you meant by not doing it in a healthy way. It would probably be a good idea if some of your gained weight was muscle. But ultimately it is up to you what you want to do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

cq8ltsfs3hnd.png

I topped the scales at 254lbs at 5'3". However, in order for me to haul myself about, there had to be a certain amount of muscle under the fat. How much? Can't tell you. How much was lost when I started getting down to a healthy size? Can't tell you that either, but about a year and a half ago I started strength training to try to hold onto what I'd built without trying. I'm almost at a healthy weight now and I c..an see a bit of muscularity, mostly on my arms, shoulders, and thighs. But keep in mind that I went to Obesity Level 3 to build that muscle, got a major health scare, and some permanent issues.

What she is saying is that she had to build a fair amount of muscle to be able to carry her weight around. You're going to gain some muscle if you put on a lot of weight...like obese kind of weight in order to be able to move around.

You're not going to gain any muscle gaining 7 Lbs without resistance training. With a solid eating plan and solid lifting program you might possibly get a 50/50 split of muscle and fat gaining 7 Lbs...without resistance training it's pretty much all going to be adipose tissue...not that it would necessarily be a bad thing if you're underweight.

Thank you that makes sense :)
    Resistance training doesn’t sound too scary I’ll look into it thanks

I would look into New Rules of Lifting for Women. That's what my wife started with. The program is good (though I think it gets a bit convoluted at the end of the program), but the read is really good and will tell you what you're doing and why and dispel a lot of myths and misinformation in regards to women and weight lifting.

As I recall, it's a 3x per week program so it's very efficient and doesn't take up a ton of time. My wife had pretty good results with it. She did Strong Curves after and has been working with a trainer now for a few years.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you are at a BMI of 19 and under muscled because of the way you lost weight, adding 7lbs of fat on top of that may not do you any favors health wise. You would most likely end up skinny fat.

"The term “skinny fat” is actually a popular term that describes a very real medical condition called sarcopenic obesity. This condition refers to an individual who may have what would be considered a normal/healthy weight, but metabolically, this person shares many health characteristics as someone who is overweight or obese

A person who is sarcopenic obese will have high fat mass and low muscle mass."
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    If you are at a BMI of 19 and under muscled because of the way you lost weight, adding 7lbs of fat on top of that may not do you any favors health wise. You would most likely end up skinny fat.

"The term “skinny fat” is actually a popular term that describes a very real medical condition called sarcopenic obesity. This condition refers to an individual who may have what would be considered a normal/healthy weight, but metabolically, this person shares many health characteristics as someone who is overweight or obese

I used an online bf% checker (a Navy one I think) it put me at around 18%...not sure where that puts me really
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I used an online bf% checker (a Navy one I think) it put me at around 18%...not sure where that puts me really

Perfectly healthy if right, but it's just a guess. You would need to get a DEXA to know for sure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

While yes, this is a thing...I don't think I've ever seen it with someone who is clinically underweight or borderline underweight and putting on a few Lbs. Even if under muscled, anyone who I've ever seen underweight or borderline also has a very low fat mass. I don't think putting on a little fat in this instance would result in sarcopenic obesity.

You typically see this on the higher ends of the BMI scale with someone who is under muscled. I think the OP should lift and or exercise for a variety of good health reasons...but I don't think "skinny fat" would really be much of a concern in this instance with a 7 Lb gain.