Can you gain LBM without exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you are at a BMI of 19 and under muscled because of the way you lost weight, adding 7lbs of fat on top of that may not do you any favors health wise. You would most likely end up skinny fat.

"The term “skinny fat” is actually a popular term that describes a very real medical condition called sarcopenic obesity. This condition refers to an individual who may have what would be considered a normal/healthy weight, but metabolically, this person shares many health characteristics as someone who is overweight or obese

A person who is sarcopenic obese will have high fat mass and low muscle mass."

While yes, this is a thing...I don't think I've ever seen it with someone who is clinically underweight or borderline underweight and putting on a few Lbs. Even if under muscled, anyone who I've ever seen underweight or borderline also has a very low fat mass. I don't think putting on a little fat in this instance would result in sarcopenic obesity.

You typically see this on the higher ends of the BMI scale with someone who is under muscled. I think the OP should lift and or exercise for a variety of good health reasons...but I don't think "skinny fat" would really be much of a concern in this instance with a 7 Lb gain.

Agreeing here. I don’t think a 7 lbs gain would be a problem. (Saying this as I know it wouldn’t be for me and I’m the same BMI, 19-20, shorter and older of course)

Would encourage using your muscles in some way though.

Thanks for the new term @mom23mangos, I’ve always known it as normal weight obesity, sometimes with metabolic thrown in.

I would have most certainly have been SO if I had stayed at the top of my BMI range (heaviest ever) without exercise.

Cheers, h.