Exercise group middle age

Anyone ages say 45-55 interested in starting a little exercise group? To maybe take turns coming up with little daily exercises to keep it fun, nothing too crazy.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I'm confused.

The same exercises/training are beneficial regardless of age. Why do we need different ones?
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm confused.

The same exercises/training are beneficial regardless of age. Why do we need different ones?

Not saying we need different ones....just saying time management, mind set, responsibilities of a 20 something are not the same as mine being almost 50....not in all cases but in general. Wanted to make it short, sweet and fun
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    timbotina wrote: »
    I'm confused.

Not saying we need different ones....just saying time management, mind set, responsibilities of a 20 something are not the same as mine being almost 50....not in all cases but in general. Wanted to make it short, sweet and fun

While I get that people are at different stages of life, almost every group workout that I do is with people between the ages of 30 and 71.
  • timbotina
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm confused.

While I get that people are at different stages of life, almost every group workout that I do is with people between the ages of 30 and 71.

Yes, obviously with people who have time to come to your group work out...thus my post
  • aokoye
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm confused.

Yes, obviously with people who have time to come to your group work out...thus my post

It's also at 5:30am. Time, for most people who aren't working swing shift or jobs that start at 6am, isn't an issue - it's the ability to wake up early enough to get there. My point was, my workouts consist of a very diverse group of people who are different ages, at different stages of life, have a wide variety of commitments with regards to work, school, family, etc. It doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense to assume that most people between an arbitrary 10 year age span have the same needs compared to those of a different 10 year span.
  • timbotina
    edited December 2018
    DONE
  • aokoye
    edited December 2018
    You are so unrealistic...I am up with my children @ 5 am. Then getting them ready for school and getting some sort of dinner thrown together.. Heading to my Job, then picking them up when I get off work. Then heading to dance practice, while I run to band to do my volunteer work. Then back to get my daughter from dance and head to basketball practice. Then head home for homework, baths, getting ready for next day school/work by getting clothes and lunches packed... as well.as plan meals for the next day....so no...I have no free time but thought I could get a group of people with similar life problems to maybe find 15 min to get a little workout in...but guess I missed that...so I will just delete this once I get a min to figure that out....didn't mean to rub you the wrong way since you obviously have it ALL figured out and don't need any advice from me. And NO WAY a single 20 year old has the same responsibilities so they have ALL the free time I. The world to work.out at 6:30 am or 10 pm

You're totally misinterpreting me. What I'm saying is that not everyone is the same. I'm more than willing to bet that I can find 25 year olds who have exceedingly similar schedules as the one you just posted. This isn't something that is unique to people who are between 45-55. Heck I know plenty of people in that age range who don't have kids. People aren't as homogenous as you seem to think they are. Having kids does pose some serious time challenges, but that isn't unique to a specific age group for better or worse and how those challenges are dealt with is also note unique to a specific age group.

If you want to think this is only a problem for people who within 5 or 10 years of you then so be it. I'm not sure how that would paint me as being "so unrealistic".
  • aokoye
    urloved33 wrote: »
    doesn't it make you kind of sorry you even posted in the first place - or wonder why these people just could not HELP themselves - they just had to post and be oppositional w you. omg.; its a perfect example of...well....

People are allowed to hold differing opinions and have different experiences. Pointing out that groups aren't homogenous is different that saying, "you can't possibly have this experience!"
  • aokoye
    edited December 2018
    Also being more specific would be helpful. By that I mean saying something like, "let's start a group for people who have difficulty finding time to exercise because of various commitments that have to attend to."

That would both be more inclusive but also probably better target the demographic of people you're looking for.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Would suggest if you want a group then create a group not a thread.
    If you want a challenge then create a challenge in the challenge forum.

I'm excluded anyway as I'm too old and like big crazy exercise not little exercise. :smiley:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Can't understand what time availability has to do with the request. Does OP want some kind of real time workout group or just a listing of exercises?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OP, I see that you were just trying to get something fun and motivating going here, and I think it's fine to define your target audience however you see fit.

Maybe you'd get more response in the "Challenges" area by putting it in challenge terms? I don't know.

I'd like to be supportive, but (1) I'm older than your target group (63), and (2) pretty settled into my routine of rowing, spin class, and various other stuff (maybe mildly crazy ;) ).

I hope you can find the sort of motivation/connection kind of activity you're looking for!

{{Hugs}}!

You are so sweet!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Gosh @AnnPT77 and @lorrpb. I think we are the middle aged ones :)
    I’m going to have to adjust my thinking. I’m old, oh so old B)

As far as the thread goes. I think opening one in the challenge subforum would work well.

Cheers, h.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'm not old enough to join. I don't get to say that everyday anymore.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Anyone ages say 45-55 interested in starting a little exercise group? To maybe take turns coming up with little daily exercises to keep it fun, nothing too crazy.

51 yrs old here ... are you up for a half marathon in mid Jan?

What about a 100K bicycle ride toward the end of Jan ... maybe around the Australia Day long weekend.

Enjoying the summer and a bit of free time off uni.
  • Machka9
    BTW - I agree with some of the others here.

Create a group OR create a thread in the Challenges subforum

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

That's probably the best way to get people involved. :)
  • Machka9
    You are so unrealistic...I am up with my children @ 5 am. Then getting them ready for school and getting some sort of dinner thrown together.. Heading to my Job, then picking them up when I get off work. Then heading to dance practice, while I run to band to do my volunteer work. Then back to get my daughter from dance and head to basketball practice. Then head home for homework, baths, getting ready for next day school/work by getting clothes and lunches packed... as well.as plan meals for the next day....so no...I have no free time but thought I could get a group of people with similar life problems to maybe find 15 min to get a little workout in...but guess I missed that...so I will just delete this once I get a min to figure that out....didn't mean to rub you the wrong way since you obviously have it ALL figured out and don't need any advice from me. And NO WAY a single 20 year old has the same responsibilities so they have ALL the free time I. The world to work.out at 6:30 am or 10 pm

You're doing all that at 50? My condolences. Menopause and young children at the same time!!

Based on my observations, I would think that most people would be doing all that roughly between the ages of 18 and 38.