Distance running and skinny fat

Options
Hello MFP I'm back with yet another question. I am a runner. I love running, have always loved running (well that's not true, I used to hate it and if I'm being honest I still hate it but it's a hate-love thing that only runners understand :D ) and I have no intentions of quitting. I've decided to start ramping up my distance running, which means running several miles a day 5 to 6 days a week. This means doing a ton of cardio, sometimes for an hour.

And this, from what I've read, leads to skinny fat.

The thing is, I don't want to be skinny fat. But I also dislike lifting weights. It's boring, painfully strenuous, and utterly miserable.

My question is if I can still run (as in running is my only form of exercise) lose weight, and NOT end up skinny fat? Would I have to eat a high protein diet? Because though I stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight I don't necessarily attempt to eat high protein. In fact I tend to eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my daily calorie intake.

Would bodyweight exercise videos (like the no equipment videos of fitness blender or even youtube) be sufficient to lose weight without ending up skinny fat?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a body weight only fitness guy and based on my experience, yes is my answer to your question. These exercises, at least the right ones, to help you achieve your goals are not any easier than lifting iron.

I’m talking about pull-ups, push-ups, bar dips, walking lunges and burpees. You can add to their difficulty and effectiveness by performing the reps slower.

Hard stuff.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Also a runner trying for distance. Be ~45k this week. But I do Stronglifts 3 times a week. I'm not good about upping the weight as per the program, and I really don't like doing it, but it will help with the running long term.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've never seen a skinny fat endurance athlete.

You must run in very different circles than I do. Personally, I alternate between big fat and skinny fat.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 - you're right. I absolutely did not know this. It looks like the only way to deal with it is to eat a balanced diet, eat protein, exercise, do some strength training and get 6 to 8 hours of sleep. I apologize to the original poster for being so dismissive. Sorry, FitAndLean_5738.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Re bodyweight exercises: during my three years living in yoga communities, I met lots of people who looked great in tank tops and shorts whose only intentional exercise was vigorous style yoga such as Ashtanga or Jivanmukti. However, I have no idea if any of them had been overweight at some point.

Similar types of yoga are Vinyasa and Power. Tony Horton says his P90X yoga is Ashtanga based but others would call it more Vinyasa.

If you have no familiarity with these I do not recommend you try to learn from a DVD as you will probably get hurt that way. It's worth taking classes at a yoga studio for a while so you can get the form down. While there are some good yoga teachers at gyms, your odds of finding a good one are better at yoga studios.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    According to my InBody assessment, I am MONW and I run about 15-20 miles a week : (
    I have really really low lean mass for my height sadly, so my BFP is 30%, but my BMI is 21.5.
    Anyway, I’m hitting the weights to try to reverse this!

I feel so badly for you! You are NOT MONW! Bioelectrical impedance methods of measuring body fat are really, really not reliable. In fact, most methods have error rates that are enough to cause women in particular, who can fret over a percentage or two, angst.

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/