Persistence, Practice and Patience.....not Perfection

Options
I was doing some thinking on what attributes we need to have to learn any new skill, be it weight loss, career, education, fitness, hobbies, etc. I realized that they all start with P. With persistence, practice and patience I believe we can accomplish anything. You don't need to be perfect at it. You'll fail plenty of times. But if you are persitient about practicing the skill you want to acquire, it will come. But patience is necessary, because anything that is difficult takes time. It may take years. You may feel that progress is incremental or nonexistent at times. But one day you will wake up and realize you did it!

You can ALL do it!

Anyway, just some musings for a random Thursday.

Replies

• doubleIronDog
    doubleIronDog Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love that!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well said @mom23mangos, this is so true ! :)
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Or, another way to consider:

Three D's: Destination, Determination and Deliberation
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    My string has two D words and 2 P words: desire, discipline, patience and perseverance.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Nicely said! Perfection is the enemy of progress. We've all forgotten how many times we fell down while learning to walk.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

My string has two D words and 2 P words: desire, discipline, patience and perseverance.

Ooh, those are both good!! I especially like Desire, discipline and determination
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Also works for apparating (hope I’m not the only Harry Potter fan!). :smiley:
  • cricket_hackmann
    cricket_hackmann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like them all! But the ones that really strike a chord are Desire, Discipline and Determination. Thank you all for sharing your mantras!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    So true... I lost the weight early last year.. but all summer and even this month. it is practice and patience of getting the maintenance thing balanced. You are never just done and fixed. I don't feel discouraged.. I realize I'm working it out and it will just take time. I may bounce up and down five pounds.. but I'll never gain it all back. I truly believe, with time, I will figure out what works for me.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yeicdi2k4x1z.jpg

this showed up in my FB feed the other week
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of my favorite quote from Athlean X...

"You don't have to be perfect, just pretty damn good!"
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread; and I would encourage all of you to join the Ultimate Accountability Challenge (UAC) which you can search for in the MFP Community -> Groups. There is a new thread started each month for this challenge. We are a group of like-minded individuals with a desire for living a healthy lifestyle. The rules are quite simple requiring 20 minutes daily exercise (you decide the exercise or activity depending on your level of expertise and fitness), staying within a budgeted calorie intake (you decide the appropriate number of calories depending on whether you are attempting to lose, gain or maintain), and tracking which requires you to log everything you eat or drink. Accountability to ourselves is critical for success; and accountability to others (team mates in the challenge) is simply an additional incentive for continued improvement or sustained maintenance. None of us is perfect...but the objective is to "show up" every day in the company of our "virtual" friends. You'll find many of us share similar ideas to your own.