Why isit easier to find motivation from strangers than friends?

Options
CiciFitzach
CiciFitzach Posts: 7 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and so faro haven't added any personal friends and I don't think I want too.
Isit just me or isit easier to find help and support from strangers?

I find with friends it can be a case of "it's just the one bar, one won't hurt, it's one bad day start again 2mro you have to live"

Instead of what you need which is "you are doin great keep goin, let's eat something we can both have an enjoy etc"

I know I'm so bad with that fact it I go off for a day I stay off 70% of the time I just lose my way and continue eating the bad things and not just one or 2 loads so I think I'm gona just try this alone and maybe with some other pple on here for awhile and leave personal out of it.

I'm tryin to lose baby weight and feel good again for myself and my little family x

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Hi

Your friends aren't trying to lose weight where as everyone here is here for a reason. Most people on MFP are trying to lose weight or keep track of their fitness. Because there are so many like minded people here they know what you are going through and are generally supportive of that.

• chrisahubbard
    chrisahubbard Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your friends dont want you to succeed. As crazy as that might sound.
  • sgodfrey7018
    sgodfrey7018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel like you nailed this one perfect. With a stranger you both have a common goal. With friends you just know each other well and are willing to do more bad stuff I suppose lol
  • crampus1
    crampus1 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think your real friends don’t feel comfortable sending you “progress pics” like some of these internet strangers enjoy doing.
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    unless your pals are also trying to lose weight , they wont be very interested whereas here everyone is motivated
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Strangers tend to not judge more than face value presentation.

Friends like to think they know you better than you do . Entitled.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Because you don't feel like strangers are trying to change or fix you. I have one "friend" that I see a few times a year that is always asking to "help" me loose weight. I am like dude do you care about anything else in my life.
  • CiciFitzach
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    Because you don't feel like strangers are trying to change or fix you. I have one "friend" that I see a few times a year that is always asking to "help" me loose weight. I am like dude do you care about anything else in my life.

I sent you a friend request I hope that's OK just looking for pple in the same place as me at the min to try help and get ideas from 😊
  • CiciFitzach
    Options
    Strangers tend to not judge more than face value presentation.

Friends like to think they know you better than you do . Entitled.

Added 😊
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    friends?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My friends have been very supportive, thankfully.
  • jdypdy
    jdypdy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A good friend doesn’t want to hurt your feelings. A bad friend wants to sabotage you. A stranger is just going to tell you like it is. No personal investment.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    jdypdy wrote: »
    A good friend doesn’t want to hurt your feelings. A bad friend wants to sabotage you. A stranger is just going to tell you like it is. No personal investment.

Makes you wonder why such people are still within your friendship circle. 😕
  • Dansfightforlife
    Dansfightforlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, I’m not sure I have an answer.