Where is the greatest inaccuracy?

Options

Replies

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think what you asked is a completely unanswerable question.

I'm good at asking those, lol.

I appreciate the discussion. As I said I'm managing to maintain my weight weight - which means I'm in a CICO balance, but my logging shows me at a daily deficit. I understand that on the one hand that is irrelevant because I am achieving the outcome I desire. It's more of an intellectual exercise for me wondering where my sources of error are in my logging/exercise balance.

I think I'll just keep truckin' and not worry about it.

Thanks again all...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what opinion is of experienced folks here. Most folks here seem to combine logging their food and exercising when they begin a weight loss journey. I know that's a sweeping generalization but i think it is often true.
    Often when someone isn't losing as expected the focus tends to be on their diet (in terms of Calories In). There is a lot of discussion about logging accuracy and honesty in logging - and rightfully so. My concern though is that there are also errors in the number of calories burned during exercise. These discussion do happen but it seems with less frequency. In any case, my question is which is generally more inaccurate - the calories consumed or the calories burned during exercise?

As I look at my last several weeks of maintenance I see that I average ending the day with a 350-400 calorie deficit - but I'm not losing weight. That means I'm not really experiencing a deficit. If I split the deficit it would not be hard to be to be off by 175 calories a day in logging and 175 calories in exercise. I'm not sure though it's an even split and I have no idea which error is the greatest.

At the end of the day I'm not sure it matters but it seems like an interesting topic to discuss.

Measurement accuracy or contribution to outcomes?

It's much easier to have a high degree of accuracy around input, but error and that measure has a greater effect on outcomes. It's difficult to get a consistent, accurate, measure of energy of, but equally the size of error is likely to be less as exercise is such a lower component of the whole.

That's no different to what several others are saying, but clearly it's a good source of discussion around here.
  • garystrickland357
    Options

I appreciate the discussion. As I said I'm managing to maintain my weight weight - which means I'm in a CICO balance, but my logging shows me at a daily deficit. I understand that on the one hand that is irrelevant because I am achieving the outcome I desire. It's more of an intellectual exercise for me wondering where my sources of error are in my logging/exercise balance.

Thanks again all...

To what are you comparing your logged data that makes you say you're at a deficit: MFP estimate? Fitness tracker? TDEE calculator? Past personal experience data?

Pretty much nothing but past personal data has ever given me a usefully accurate maintenance estimate, and even that changes seasonally, somewhat.

Yes. I'm using the MFP estimate. I try to log food accurately and I synch with my Garmin for the exercise calories. I'm just going of those numbers that tell me I still have calories remaining at the end of the day. I"m not hungry and I am maintaining so that's how I know I'm not actually in a deficit. I know my personal data and trend on the scale are what I need to watch. I was just curious where the source of the discrepancy was most likely.

And related to your comment - I thought the MFP calorie suggestion WAS a TDEE calculator. I answer the same questions for MFP as I do in an online TDEE calculator. What's the difference?
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    My underlying thinking in this thread is how to possibly change any setting I have in my Garmin or MFP to make the estimates more accurate for me. I would like to use these tools for maintenance over time. I see some folks here logging for years. It would make sense to me to optimize this tool for me individually. It works for me to know there is a "fudge factor". I know that If I eat back about 1/2 my exercise calories that everything works out. I'd just feel better if I could eliminate the "fudge factor".
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    My underlying thinking in this thread is how to possibly change any setting I have in my Garmin or MFP to make the estimates more accurate for me. I would like to use these tools for maintenance over time. I see some folks here logging for years. It would make sense to me to optimize this tool for me individually. It works for me to know there is a "fudge factor". I know that If I eat back about 1/2 my exercise calories that everything works out. I'd just feel better if I could eliminate the "fudge factor".

First you need to understand where your inaccuracies are. That's specific to you and may or may not be in line with what most of us do/think/see. Then you can make adjustments as needed.

If you know with reasonable certainty that eating back half your calories makes things line up as they should, then that's your fudge factor - 50% of your burn estimates. Make that adjustment and you're set, right? Or am I missing something?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    With online TDEE calculators your exercise is included.

With MFP’s NEAT calculator no exercise is included, just daily activity.

If your confident your food logging is accurate, within personal idiosyncrasies, (ie l didn’t weigh my morning mandarin, it was always 45cals.) it is down to your 50% exercise cals.

If you are consistent with what exercises you do, workout (from your device minus 50%) your calorie burn per minute for each exercise then enter that in MFP ‘cardio’ as a personal exercise.

Very hypothetical example-
    ie: ‘my hikes’ 60min 240cals (4cals a min).

Now, every time you do a hike it will scale your burn to the time taken. I think it also takes your weight into account but not sure as I have been weight stable for so long.

The advantage of this is it is device independent so if you change your device you still know what your cal burn for exercise is.

Start a new exercise? Monitor it on your device, do the math, make it a personal MFP exercise entry.

Can you tell I’m a personal data person and not a device person?

Cheers, h.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Is your Garmin linked as an activity tracker? So you’re getting your workouts synced but also a line for a “steps” adjysment?

If so, you can do some fiddling with your mfp settings to get a little closer to “correct” but it’s not really any easier than just eating 50% of your exercise calories.

You can reduce the amount of your “steps” adjustment my increasing your activity level setting in mfp. The “steps” adjustment is the difference between what Garmin says you burned and what mfp thinks you burned (NEAT + workouts). If you raise your activity setting on mfp, mfp will think you’re burning more (Higher NEAT) and your “steps” adjustments will be lower (as your Garmin will record the same number but mfp will think you burned more and the resulting difference/adjustment line will be smaller)

This also raises your calorie goal so you’d need to lower that too.

So...you can adjust it but it’s not really easier than just eating 50% of your exercise calories.

I think the basic message on this thread is that ultimately, the only thing that really matters is what is actually happening. And if you have a consistent way to achieve that-carry on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks again all...

To what are you comparing your logged data that makes you say you're at a deficit: MFP estimate? Fitness tracker? TDEE calculator? Past personal experience data?

Pretty much nothing but past personal data has ever given me a usefully accurate maintenance estimate, and even that changes seasonally, somewhat.

Yes. I'm using the MFP estimate. I try to log food accurately and I synch with my Garmin for the exercise calories. I'm just going of those numbers that tell me I still have calories remaining at the end of the day. I"m not hungry and I am maintaining so that's how I know I'm not actually in a deficit. I know my personal data and trend on the scale are what I need to watch. I was just curious where the source of the discrepancy was most likely.

And related to your comment - I thought the MFP calorie suggestion WAS a TDEE calculator. I answer the same questions for MFP as I do in an online TDEE calculator. What's the difference?

The MFP calculator is a NEAT calculator: It asks the same questions as most TDEE calculators, but - reading the instructions carefully - the activity setting is based on job/daily life, and doesn't include intentional exercise, which (of course) is why you estimate your intentional exercise separately, log it, and eat back those calories, too (or some of them, if you're worried that they may be overestimated).

The non-MFP TDEE calculator instructions commonly say that your activity level setting includes your intentional exercise: The descriptors commonly include things like "Slightly Active, Exercise or Light Sports 1 to 3 Days a Week, Light Jogging or Walking 3 to 4 Days a Week" (that one's from Sailrabbit, if it matters). So, that calorie estimate already includes your expected exercise, just assumed to always happen consistently, and averaged over both active and inactive days.

Behind the scenes, both MFP's calculator and the TDEE calculators make an estimate of your BMR/RMR based on research studies (they guess the mean, I believe, considering your personal details like age, weight, etc.). There are several different common research-based methodologies for estimating BMR/RMR (Harris-Benedict, Mifflin St Jeor, Katch-McArdle, etc.). The aforementioned Sailrabbit shows several; for me, the difference between smallest & largest is 84 calories.

Then, either type of calculator uses a multiplier, selected based on your activity level. Different calculators will use different multipliers, with obvious reasons for NEAT multipliers differeing from TDEE multipliers, and the potential for different calculators to have more/fewer activity levels, so need more/fewer different multipliers.

So, if your experience differs from the calculator, it could be because:

* Your BMR/RMR varies from the population-based estimate (range of adult RMR/BMR is fairly narrow, I think, so maybe not a huge contributor . . . but it later gets multiplied by the activity factor, remember).

* Activity factors are very, very general. They don't account for much of the diversity of human behavior. There are only 4-6 or so different levels of activity among all humans? That's a little approximate, even if we interpreted the instructions in exactly the right way. Because the activity factor translates to a multiplier, it will increase the numerical calorie impact of a variation from the norms in BMR/RMR.

* Your exercise is mis-estimated, or your intake is mis-estimated, without any particular judgement about whether that mis-estimate is due to sloppiness/forgetfulness/other human failing, or unavoidable "one apple sweeter than the next" stuff.

. . . and I'm probably forgetting some.

Bottom line: I think you have to be really, really, really average in order for these things to work out exactly. It's estimates and research-study-population means all the way down, and some pretty rough estimating methods at that, regardless of how science-based. Experience is the real deal, even with sloppy logging, especially if the sloppiness is reasonably consistent. ;)

Personally, I just did a bunch of data analysis various ways when I was approaching maintenance, and used my own data to roughly estimate my NEAT. Since I (by choice) slightly undereat it most of the time in order to significantly overeat it once in a while, I manually set MFP to the number of calories I want to eat most days. (Its "In 5 weeks" thing still makes me laugh, because that seems to use profile settings, where I'm set at "active" even though I'm high-sedentary to low-slightly-active in terms of steps, and it still thinks I'll gain on my daily small-deficit calories. ;) ). Then I include some scale-watching (daily weigh-ins, Libra) to keep things in check because my NEAT estimate was rough (I think +/- 200 or so, so around 10%).

If your Garmin knows your current details, and especially if you can give it your actual HRmax, stride length, etc., that's probably about the best you can do on that side. Doing its little self-tests (VO2max or whatever) theoretically could improve things, too, but I'm not sure whether/how much they use those in calorie estimates). eta: I use the MFP database estimate for strength training, on the rare occasions when I buckle down and do some.

My Garmin, in terms of all-day TDEE calories, seems to underestimate by about the same amount as MFP, FWIW.

I suppose I could figure out the approximate average error percent, sync the Garmin to MFP, and adjust by the average error percent daily, but the Garmin came into my life just a few months ago, so that seems like too much hassle at this point. I used to use Polar exercise calorie estimates for cardio (even for cardio it doesn't estimate all that well, like intervals), so now I just log Garmin exercise activity calories in the same way I used to log Polar's (they seemingly differ, by the way, for more or less equal activity intensities, but not enough to get me worried about the impact on my day/week.

If you want to eliminate the fudge factor, maybe change your base calorie goal to a number you know is sensible, and either look at the calorie goal as a TDEE (if you like eating the same amount every day, or weekly variations on that theme), or as NEAT (if your exercise varies more randomly) then still log exercise. I do the latter, since much of my exercise for much of the year is weather-dependent, and my intentional variation on the intake side is enough complication for me. ;)

Sorry about writing a book, especially since you probably didn't need all of it. :|
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Is it only purposeful exercise estimates that Garmin is sending over or is it steps/activity etc.. too?
    The discrepancy could be from one or the other or both.
    What types of exercises?

Personal experience with my cycling specific Garmin is that it under estimates my outdoor cycling and especially significantly underestimates on low intensity rides. I've not found a way to correct that without messing up other aspects of its data that are useful to me.
    (Unfortunately Strava now takes those estimates rather than its own which were generally better for me.)
    The exception is when Garmin is fed power meter data when it uses the commonly accepted formula for the conversion of watts to calories and I'm happy to accept that as accurate.

Personally I'm against using fudging one side of the calorie balance to compensate for inaccuracies elsewhere as that falls apart when your routine changes. For example my cycling volume has more than doubled in a few years from 2,400 miles to 5,500.
    Injury or lack of time to exercise would also mess things up whereas an at least reasonable estimate for both sides of the equation would still work.
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    @sijomial I only using the Garmin to report cycling and running activities and steps. MFP is set to sedentary so I don’t “double dip” exercise calories.
    @AnnPT77 Thank you for such a thoughtful response. I went into my account and tweaked my settings slightly. I was surprised to see the effect of small changes. I’ll use these new settings for a few weeks and see how things go.
    These discussions are really helpful for me. I want to have as much knowledge as possible moving forward into long term maintenance. I’m determined to be successful. I have the big ideas and concepts; it’s the details and nuances that I’m working on now.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I thinK MFP is WAY too generous on calories burned during activities.

For instance, it gives me 275 cals for "45 minutes" of weight lifting. The estimates for snowboarding and motocross are even more ridiculous.

My solution - call myself "lightly active" even though I'm closer to moderately active, and log 45 minutes of weightlifting pretty much no matter what, whether j lift for an hour and a half, 30 minutes, dirt bike for 4 hours, snowboard 20 runs, whatever. I even do it on most off days as sort of a mini refeed.

It seems to be working out.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I used a spreadsheet to record things such as exercise, calories, and weight loss, I found that after 30 days of logging the spread (between actual weight as measured and expected weight as logged calories and exercise) was less than 1%. During that time, my exercise was a lot of different things. Some machines, some not. Either way, I logged whatever the machine or the database gave me. For bicycling, I logged it as "mountain biking" because it felt difficult. From this experiment, I learned to trust the machines and the database.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Well, if I listened to MFP or any other online calculator for my age, weight, gender, daily activity level and allowed for exercise, I would be eating about 600 calories per day LESS than what I've found to be MY calorie level for maintenance.

I've logged food and exercise for over ten years on this site. It underestimates HUGELY for me, and that's if I use all the exercise calories.

I have my daily calorie allowance set based on what I know, not what a computer tells me. I log food as accurately as I possibly can. I still accept that I forget some things and estimate incorrectly on others.

My main guide for whether my numbers are close enough is my body weight.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Weeks 1 and 2 should be focus on your diet habits MEASURE AND WEIGH EVERYTHING YOU EAT!!!, add some light walking maybe 1/2 hour or approximately 1/2 mile at a minimum.
    Its not just the calories themselves its also the source of your calories. You can into your home profile settings and adjust your goals. I have mine set at 60% protein, carbs 15% fat 25%. It doesn't hurt to get with a nutritionist to set your goals specifically to you.
    The default is the government recommended 60% carbs and sugar, 20% fat and 20% protein. You will never loose weight following that.

Also remember you need a minimum of 30 min of cardio exercise like power walking. Remember if your not sweating your not pushing hard enough.

Feel free to friend me if you are serious about loosing weight.

I do not understand this post. Is it in the wrong place? Was someone here asking for advice on how to lose weight?
    The default is the government recommended 60% carbs and sugar, 20% fat and 20% protein. You will never loose weight following that

This is not the default (it's 50% carbs -- sugar IS a carb), but either way obviously people can lose weight eating that, many do.

You don't need any specific amount of exercise (although I recommend it, since it's good for health). You certainly don't need "power walking" whatever that is (do you have to loosen your power tie when doing it?). Personally, I like running, although I think doing some strength exercise is important too (for health, muscle maintenance).

Losing weight is not that complicated.

I eat about 1600 cals for weight loss, 60% protein would be 240 g of protein, which would be absurd for me, and not sustainable in any kind of normal, pleasant diet, IMO. Luckily, it's completely unnecessary, as is having a nutritionist set macros for you. Eating a sensible, healthy diet is important for health, but that's more about a variety of things other than macros.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Your experience is why I don't count calories. I am lousy at it..and I don't lose while doing it. Seems some on here are great at it and love it, mostly because it works for them and makes their lives easier.

For me, it is tedious and I do my best..but really it is all guessing... either the person logging is off..or the calorie count they are using is off. Not to mention the exercise burns are just estimates too.

Over all.. you have to eat less...move more.. and that really does work. :)
  • garystrickland357
    Options
    @lemurcat2 I was a bit puzzled as well. I didn’t state it in the opening post - so room for misunderstanding - but I’m at goal. I’ve lost over 75 pounds, so yeah, I was curious why I was given advice about how to lose weight.
    That’s ok. I will assume the post was meant to be helpful.
  • garystrickland357
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Today is a good example regarding accuracy of caloric usage. I rode 27 miles today at an average speed of 14.6 mph on a hilly course. I’ve also walked over 13,000 steps. That is being calculated by MFP/Garmin as using about 1400 calories.
    There is an accepted generality that cycling burns about 40 Cal per mile so that comes to 1,040 calories. That leaves 360 Calories for the 13,000 steps.
    Does that seem reasonably accurate?
    (I’m 6’1” and weigh 188 pounds)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Today is a good example regarding accuracy of caloric usage. I rode 27 miles today at an average speed of 14.6 mph on a hilly course. I’ve also walked over 13,000 steps. That is being calculated by MFP/Garmin as using about 1400 calories.
    There is an accepted generality that cycling burns about 40 Cal per mile so that comes to 1,040 calories. That leaves 360 Calories for the 13,000 steps.
    Does that seem reasonably accurate?
    (I’m 6’1” and weigh 188 pounds)

Well-it’s not 360 for “steps”. It’s 360 difference between what Garmin says is your TDEE for the day (meaning everything including breathing) minus what mfp thinks you burned for the day (which would include whatever the NEAT is plus whatever Garmin transferred over for rhe bike ride.

I understand that you have a workout entry (for the bike ride) and an adjustment (“steps”) line and they total 1400.

But the workout entry is the workout entry.

The adjustment is whatever Garmin says you burned for the entire day minus what mfp thinks you burned for the entire day.

It’s a little confusing because they put the step count there so it seems like that’s what you’re getting the adjustment for.

I have 26k steps today. My step adjustment is 170 (because that’s the difference between what Garmin thinks I burned and what MFP thinks I burned - which includes my 1630 NEAT plus my run workout that Garmin sent over).

So anyway-point being that you’re asking if 360 is appropriate for that many steps. 360 isn’t what you’re being credited for steps. It’s just the total difference in TDEE between the two systems. Is that appropriate? Depends what else you did all day and what your setting is in mfp (sedentary, lightly active, etc.)