Frustrated, and need help staying accountable!

Options
Hey guys! I’m Lindsey. I’m a 34 year old mom, who lost 200 pounds back in 2014. I was doing great keeping the weight off until last year. In September of ‘17 I lost my best friend unexpectedly, and spun into a very deep depression. Because of that, I have managed to gain 70 pounds, and I’ve decided it’s time to do something about it. But, I need help staying accountable! I’m stubborn, and the queen of excuses, so I need someone who can light a fire under my butt when I try to get out of going to the gym. Please tell me there’s at least one person who’s up for the challenge lol!

Replies

• MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I’m also a 34 year old mom with around 70 lbs to lose!
  • ldukes218
    ldukes218 Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    MizCJ84 wrote: »
    It’s so frustrating how easy it is to put on, but frustratingly hard to get off!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    ldukes218 wrote: »
    It’s so frustrating how easy it is to put on, but frustratingly hard to get off!

By the sounds of this comment and only making mention of going to gym in your OP I'll venture a guess in saying that you're emphasizing exercise over changing your eating habits and that's why you find it so difficult to lose weight. Focus on creating a sustainable calorie deficit by manipulating you diet rather than try to just exercise all the fat away. Sure, exercise is great and certainly can have a place as part of your plan but at the end of the day it all comes down to calories. Developing better eating habits will help keep you in a deficit when you choose not to exercise and subsequently keep you losing weight.
  • fergusonjamillah
    fergusonjamillah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I always give excuses too, but im tired of it and it takes one day at a time. I always thought i needed support from others 2 keep me on track and im learning that only i can motivate myself and only i can push myself to workout because its my body not theres.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    If you come join the December Ultimate Accountability Challenge, at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129444-ultimate-accountability-challenge-december-2018 you can practice the accountability of reporting what you did every day, checking in at least every three days.

You report Yes or No to "Did you exercise 20 minutes or more?" / "Did you track everything?" / "Did you stay inside your calorie zone" Even if you are more "No" than "Yes" on a regular basis at first, you are NEVER "out of the challenge .... and you start fresh each month. @RangerRickL is the moderator. There is also a What's Up thread for sharing specific successes or asking for ideas to work around personal stumbling blocks.

If you want to start with "Just Exercise Accountability", come see me at the "Holiday Motivation Challenge, Pump It Up" https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10707982/holiday-motivation-pump-it-up#latest

It runs till New Years Eve, and I am hoping to re-brand it into some kind of rolling monthly version to keep it going. PM's or dialogue on either thread welcome. My account has a glitch preventing me from opening Friend Requests. And honestly, probably a generational thing, I find it easier to support - encourage - motivate via a thread than by "Friends on my wall"

I drifted towards my high-point after losing my sister 5 years ago. Been through highs and lows - pleased to help and point out resources you may not have found yet. In ~19 months I shed almost 40 pounds. That's 22% of my starting body weight. It can be done .... but it can't be done overnight.

Just begin. Come chat. Any of you.
  • ldukes218
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    ldukes218 wrote: »

By the sounds of this comment and only making mention of going to gym in your OP I'll venture a guess in saying that you're emphasizing exercise over changing your eating habits and that's why you find it so difficult to lose weight. Focus on creating a sustainable calorie deficit by manipulating you diet rather than try to just exercise all the fat away. Sure, exercise is great and certainly can have a place as part of your plan but at the end of the day it all comes down to calories. Developing better eating habits will help keep you in a deficit when you choose not to exercise and subsequently keep you losing weight.

You’re right, it does sound that way. However, it’s not the case. I am definitely guilty of indulging more than I should in this last year, but since starting this journey to become more healthy I have cut calories, sugars and carbs way back, and started concentrating on eating things that are more leafy and “from the earth”, so to speak. Thank you so much for your suggestions, though! I truly appreciate any and all the help I can get 😊
  • ldukes218
    Options
    I always give excuses too, but im tired of it and it takes one day at a time. I always thought i needed support from others 2 keep me on track and im learning that only i can motivate myself and only i can push myself to workout because its my body not theres.

I like your way of thinking! Hopefully soon I can get myself into that mindset, and I think I’m close. For example: last night I had every excuse there was not to go to the gym. I had a family Christmas that lasted until late evening, my entire body hurt so bad I wanted to puke (I’m in pain management), it was raining so hard, and I just wanted to go to bed b/c it was late! But, at 10:30 pm I pulled on my tennis shoes and got my *kitten* to the gym. I had one of the best workouts I’ve had in awhile, too! So, if I can just keep chasing that gym high I had when I finished my workout last night, I won’t want to make excuses.
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are already on the right track, diet and exercise are the only solution along with the realisation that this about you and how you want to be
  • ldukes218
    Options
    Sounds like you are already on the right track, diet and exercise are the only solution along with the realisation that this about you and how you want to be

Thanks! It’s only ever been about me, and what I want. B/c if I’m doing it for anyone else, I’m never going to see the results that I want.