Anyone follow a low carb diet?

Options
Not Keto but low carb. If so, what number of carbs do you aim for? I’m trying to keep mine around 75 give or take.

Replies

• coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I try to keep them as low as possible but I'm happy if they're under 50.
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'm keto now but did do low carb before. I kept my carbs at around 50 or so. Sometimes it was a little higher sometimes a little lower.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Here in the US where I am surrounded by high carb (and high fat and high calorie) foods such as baked goods, pizza, and ice cream, I do find it useful to reduce my carbs and increase protein somewhat.

However, I lost weight effortlessly when I ate a very high carb diet in Costa Rico, because many of these carbs came from lower calorie fruit, and relatively lower calorie rice and beans. As well as the calorie dense foods mentioned above, I also didn't have access to high calorie butter, cheese, and anything that required refrigeration.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Flexin74 wrote: »
    Started with just watching calories and not so much on the macros. Once I honed in on the macros, and lowered my carbs I started really losing weight (fat). My body type definitely reacts to carb reduction. I started around 100g carb per day now limit it to around 50. I am also intermittent fasting (16/8) during the business week and toying with trying full blown Keto. I have eased my way into it slowly and results keep coming as I adjust and plateau.

Just out of curiosity-

Do you believe that you can lose weight without a calorie deficit as long as you lower your carbs?

Second question- do you know that calories are the reason you lost weight, but reducing your carbs just helped with your personal satiety?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat low carb, around 100-120 g when at a calorie deficit.

I definitely don't think it's necessary for weight loss (I accidentally lost weight when eating 100% plant based one Lent, and similar to kshama I accidentally lost weight during a trip to Nicaragua even though I was eating far more carbs than usual -- I think it's that I was moving a lot and eating only at actual meal times, food wasn't around all the time so I didn't think about it at other times). However, it tends to be a really satisfying way for me to eat in general. I will eat higher carb on a particular day if I feel like it.