SKIPPING MEALS

Options
so i have a question, i k ow that skipping meals isn’t healthy but for the past couple of weeks i haven’t really been eating much. i’m a college student and finals have been keeping me busy. i’ll eat my first meal of the day around 5 or 6. can this affect me negatively in the aspect of weight loss?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    odalys60 wrote: »
    so i have a question, i k ow that skipping meals isn’t healthy but for the past couple of weeks i haven’t really been eating much. i’m a college student and finals have been keeping me busy. i’ll eat my first meal of the day around 5 or 6. can this affect me negatively in the aspect of weight loss?

If you are still meeting your calorie requirements for the day, but instead doing it over a shorter period of time it isn't unhealthy (unless you are filling up on foods with little nutritional value and not meeting minimum's needed with protein, fat and essential micronutrients).
    If you are constantly undereating day after day then it will negatively impact on your health. It can cause extra muscle loss, brittle nails and bones, thinning of hair, fatigue, depression.....
  • SVZee
    SVZee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat or how many times a day you eat, just that you're hitting your calorie targets.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals is fine so long as it doesn't affect your ability to get in everything you need for a healthy diet (I personally would have problems with protein and what I consider adequate veg on OMAD, but others do not -- I just can only eat so much volume at a time).

What concerns me much more than skipping meals and not eating until late is: "for the past couple of weeks i haven’t really been eating much" -- that does seem a possible problem. Is there something going on that might be causing that?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Stop eating after dinner at 7:00 PM. Start eating at lunch 12:00 noon until after dinner.

Why?
  • odalys60
    odalys60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have been feeling fine by just eating once a day. what i have noticed is i’ve been sleeping way more. i’m always tired now and i don’t know if it has to do with the way i’m eating. I would say not only is that affecting me but i have been having personal problems going on that have made me lose my appetite. i know something is up with me bc i’ve been out of it lately. hope everyone is doing good and thanks for the concern
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,912 Member
    Options
    i have been feeling fine by just eating once a day. what i have noticed is i’ve been sleeping way more. i’m always tired now and i don’t know if it has to do with the way i’m eating. I would say not only is that affecting me but i have been having personal problems going on that have made me lose my appetite. i know something is up with me bc i’ve been out of it lately. hope everyone is doing good and thanks for the concern

Fatigue is normal from studying a great deal . . . but it can also be a sign of undernutrition. Further, if you have a weight loss goal, sleeping more usually translates to burning fewer calories (we burn some while we sleep, but usually fewer than when awake).

You might want to grab some protein bars or something easy, keep them at hand, and see if you do better with a bit more regular eating.

An experiment of a few days to a week should be enough to give you an indication of whether your eating schedule is the issue (though that short a time might not be enough for you to fully recover . . . but it seems like you should at least feel yourself picking up a bit within a week.)

Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options

How much weight have you lost in the last 4 weeks and how many more pounds do you need to hit your goal weight? That fatigue could be a sign of undereating so I am curious as to what the scale reflects.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your financial situation is but if you have a little extra $$ to spend, buy some protein shakes and protein bars. When I was in school I NEVER had time to eat right. I was either binging on convenience food or just eating nothing. My lifesavers were CLIF bars and Premier protein shakes (I buy them at Walmart, Sams Club or Meijer). On a calorie restriction they can be a whole meal. I can almost guarantee you'll have more energy and be less lethargic if, rather than eating say a 1200 calorie meal at dinner time, to dial that back and instead have a meal replacement bar or shake for the other two meals.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd recommend a multivitamin! I take One A Day Womens'. It helped me a lot with my lethargy.