New Mom-completely miserable 😩 40lbs to lose.

Hi Everyone,

I had my precious little girl 2 months ago. I’d gained 40lbs over my pregnancy. I’ve had my struggles with weight gain but never been this big. How do you even lose 40lbs? I’m so miserable. Gym isn’t an option at the moment but I can take walks with my lil nugget when weather is nice out. Always succeeded running, it’s my thing when it comes to losing weight, always works for me. But at the moment that’s not a possibility due to my circumstances at least until February/March. But I don’t want to wait that long to get started. Nothing in my closet fits 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I need motivation buddy’s ❤️
Merry Xmas Everyone🎉

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    baby steps! you'll get there! 2 months is early days. Go for walks, slowly start running with the pram (if you have one of those ones which are good for running) and keep diet in check.

I know the feels, mine was 7.5 years ago but ugh. struggletown! And the weight just didn't come off as easily as it used to pre-baby!
  • doubleIronDog
    doubleIronDog Posts: 93 Member
    You can totally do this!! Best Christmas present ever!
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Congrats on the little one!

Good news, you don't need exercise to lose weight. A moderate calorie deficit is the only thing required to drop the pounds. If you're breastfeeding, then you'll want to be very careful of your dietary content if you go into a deficit right now, but honestly that's all you need. I'd check with my doctor or a dietitian before I restricted my diet if I were breastfeeding. If not, you're good to go - just implement a small daily calorie drop and give it time to work.

Exercise for health (it raises your HDL and keeps your cardiac muscle strong) but don't count on exercise for weight loss. It typically causes more hunger than the calories it burns, and if you're moving more then you need to fuel your body more anyway. Good luck and again, congrats on that precious baby! Daughters are the absolute best thing ever!
  • fcevriye
    fcevriye Posts: 1 Member
    Hey you can add me. I am 7 months post partum. With 28 more pounds to go. I am new
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Congrats on the baby! And remember to be kind to yourself. It took 9 months to gain 40 lbs, so don't expect it to come off in a month. There are lots of youtube work outs you can do right in your living room- I remember my mom doing Abs of Steel and Buns of Steel on VHS when I was little.
  • caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Just take it one step at a time and do not get overwhelmed with it. You can do it!
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Congratulations on the baby! Walking will help more than you might think. Take those walks when the weather allows. Calisthenics is a nice work out to do at home that will burn some calories and help with strength training.
  • Enos1981
    Enos1981 Posts: 21 Member
    You got this! 👍
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    You lose 40 lbs the same way you lose 5 lbs, or 20 lbs, or 100 lbs- with a small, consistent calorie deficit. Don't worry about all the things you can't do. None of those are necessary for weight loss (though very helpful for our well-being). Choose a goal of 1 lb/week and apply yourself to logging consistently and as accurately as possible. If you are breastfeeding, you need to account for that as well (I think it adds something like 500 calories to your allowance, but don't quote me on that- maybe someone else can confirm).

Most of all, this is time with your little one that you will never have again, so make sure the enjoyment of your baby is your focus :) Congratulations!
  • TinaTimTam
    TinaTimTam Posts: 24 Member
    Congratulations on your new baby!! First, give yourself a break! It is totally fine to want to lose the baby weight. I get that. I had to do it and I started where you are now. I hated the way I looked postpartum. I hit the diet super hard and between work and, you know, a new baby I lost motivation because I was tired and hungry all the time.
    If I could go back and talk to my postpartum self, I would be nicer to myself. I probably would have had an easier time losing weight if I set more reasonable goals and didn't try to superwoman the whole process.
    I have recently lost a bit over 40 lbs. I did it over about 11 months and it was a very different experience. I set a goal for a pound a week, worked on incorporating exercise into my daily routine, and took a day off from counting on Saturday. A lot of MFP'ers will disagree with me on the last point, but it worked for me. Slow and steady with the flexibility to go out to eat or indulge a craving made this sustainable for me.
    I'll almost to goal, so the loss has slowed way down. And I'm cool with that. Just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and see where my weight lands. If it stops here, I'm good with that.
    So, the point is...it took 9 months to grow a baby and the body changes that come with that done usually disappear overnight. And I'm sure you've heard that before. But it's true. Be nice to yourself. Set some reasonable and attainable goals and I know you can succeed!!!
    Good luck!!

Hello fellow Mama ❤️

Thank you for that! It makes me feel better knowing someone else was where I am today and have succeeded! I do agree with you on setting small and reasonable goals. I am trying to do that now. My baby is so good. She sleeps well so I get to rest and not working yet so I really have no excuse not to succeed. You’re experience gives me hope! Thanks for sharing ❤️
  • TinaTimTam
    Congratulations on having a little girl! Try aerobic fitness/Tae Bo/dance DVDs, Zumba workouts and others on YouTube or cable stations. Walk your baby around large stores or malls. Even in your house or apartment, just keep moving. If you're breast feeding, that's a big calorie burner. Like the rest of us, it's a great idea to restrict and record calories, too. Plan your meals/snacks and get tough with yourself to stay on track. Keep busy so you'll be ready to run when the weather improves. If you keep busy and take charge of what you eat, you can lose 40 lb. pretty quick. Whatever you do, don't ignore the extra weight. The sooner you get serious about losing it, the sooner you'll feel good about yourself again. Don't forget push-ups and sit-ups to regain your flat tummy. I'm a grandma now, but I had a girl, a boy, then twins. I gained too much weight with every pregnancy, but it came off quickly after the children were born. Enjoy Christmas as a mom and enjoy your child! Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family!

Hello Carla ❤️

Thanks for sharing. I am enjoying my baby girl so much and it’s by far the best Christmas of my life ❤️
    It’s so refreshing to see real people with real results and stories. Makes it more believable as unrealistic as my goal seems sometimes. As far as ignoring my weight definitely not gonna happen. I refuse to buy clothes until I fit into my jeans 👖! At the moment I’m stuck wearing leggings or dresses. 🤷🏼‍♀️ once I fit into my old jeans however I am going shopping haha!
  • TinaTimTam
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    baby steps! you'll get there! 2 months is early days. Go for walks, slowly start running with the pram (if you have one of those ones which are good for running) and keep diet in check.

I know the feels, mine was 7.5 years ago but ugh. struggletown! And the weight just didn't come off as easily as it used to pre-baby!

Yes I am starting slowly. I’ll pick up the pace once the weather gets nicer and move into new home in a month or so. Trying to avoid my moms cooking during holidays lol
  • TinaTimTam
    You can totally do this!! Best Christmas present ever!

Haha yes absolutely best gift ever 😍
    Thank you ❤️
  • TinaTimTam
    Congrats on the little one!

Good news, you don't need exercise to lose weight. A moderate calorie deficit is the only thing required to drop the pounds. If you're breastfeeding, then you'll want to be very careful of your dietary content if you go into a deficit right now, but honestly that's all you need. I'd check with my doctor or a dietitian before I restricted my diet if I were breastfeeding. If not, you're good to go - just implement a small daily calorie drop and give it time to work.

Exercise for health (it raises your HDL and keeps your cardiac muscle strong) but don't count on exercise for weight loss. It typically causes more hunger than the calories it burns, and if you're moving more then you need to fuel your body more anyway. Good luck and again, congrats on that precious baby! Daughters are the absolute best thing ever!

Hello❤️

Not breastfeeding 🤱🏼 Tried for 6weeks and got mastitis twice so it was a complete disaster. Thanks so much for the advice. Trying that for now. Let’s see how it goes!
  • TinaTimTam
    try2again wrote: »
    You lose 40 lbs the same way you lose 5 lbs, or 20 lbs, or 100 lbs- with a small, consistent calorie deficit. Don't worry about all the things you can't do. None of those are necessary for weight loss (though very helpful for our well-being). Choose a goal of 1 lb/week and apply yourself to logging consistently and as accurately as possible. If you are breastfeeding, you need to account for that as well (I think it adds something like 500 calories to your allowance, but don't quote me on that- maybe someone else can confirm).

Most of all, this is time with your little one that you will never have again, so make sure the enjoyment of your baby is your focus :) Congratulations!

Hello ❤️
    Thank you 😊 I am enjoying her so much! I can’t imagine what my life was like without her. I am taking it slowly and hoping for the best. I am trying really hard not to stress over it but it’s the hardest when I have to get dressed in the morning. But I can’t give up...one lbs at a time.