How to Increase Metabolism

Options
So... I am a 38 yr old male, 6ft, 240lb. I lost 80lbs back in my early 30's. Looking back on it, it was really easy back then. I put 40 back on and decided that enough was enough about a year ago. However, I am stuck in the low 240's. My metabolism has taken a nose dive in the past several years. A few months ago, I collected data on weight gain versus calories eaten on workout days and non-workout days. My "stay the same" daily calorie intake is 1,400 cal/day. Obviously that is really low. Right now, I have my goal set at 1,750 calories per day. My workout routine consists of cross-fit on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I get a 5k in on Friday's and Sunday's (or the elliptical depending on weather) and rest on Wednesdays. That is my exercise and eating routine to stay in the low 240's. I know (or my Wife tells me) that I need to suck it up and make a doctor appointment, but in the meantime, any suggestions on increasing my metabolism either naturally or with a supplement that is natural and not harmful? Any help and/or advice would be appreciated, TIA

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Move more. Do you do a lot more sitting?
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill to quicken metabolism. However, you might want to see a doctor to check your thyroid levels, even if it is just for peace of mind.

I have read a couple studies about how metabolism DOES slow down as we age - which is more common for older folk to become inactive, since it easier to put on pounds than to lose them.
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Intermittment fasting. Check it out on line. Skip breakfast. Fast for 16 hours eat for 8. It changes your metabolism, insulin levels, etc. Stop eating after dinner (6 or 7pm), skip breakfast and then eat lunch at noon then eat dinner. See Dr. Jason Fung on YouTube. I have the same problem. I wrestled years ago and cut weight this way.

Thanks, a family member actually recommended this also. I will look into this. Thanks for the YouTube suggestion!!!
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to respond!!! Very insightful and helpful. I have been on this workout regime for a year now. I used to just run, but I decided to start cross-fit and try to gain some muscle and increase fat burn that way. My simple goal is to be able to take my shirt off at the pool and beach, LOL

Again, very helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!!!

AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Actual metabolisms don't work that way. And no matter what marketers say, supplements have virtually no effect, except on the thickness of your wallet. Sure, see your doctor, make sure you're not nutrient deficient (micros especially), make sure you're not hypothyroid, check your nutrition, that sort of thing.

That said:

We tend to burn fewer calories as we age. There may be some truly "metabolic" reasons, but most of the difference comes down to two things:

(1) We let our muscle mass decline by not using it, so losing it. A pound of muscle burns (literally) a couple more calories per day than a pound of fat.

(2) We move less. We get more sedentary jobs; we have fewer active hobbies; our leisure activities with friends including less dancing and ball-playing (or whatever) and more sitting, eating/drinking, and maybe watching stuff on a screen; for many of us, our income increases and we buy home conveniences that reduce the movement in our chores, and hire services we once did ourselves (lawn/garden maintenance can be a biggie; now there's even grocery delivery, or pickup services).

Those seem like really little things, I'll bet. But keep reading.

For someone my size (5'5", mid-130s since weight loss), the TDEE calculators seem to estimate that the average woman will burn maybe 10 fewer calories daily each year I get older, at the same daily life activity level. Big whoop-ti-doo: If I can't counter that - at least until I reach a point of disability for some reason - I'm really not trying, frankly.

Some of that is likely the muscle loss the average person undergoes: If we're looking for 10 daily calories, let's say 1 calorie is that, on average (I'm making that number up, BTW). Regardless of whether that's how much comes from muscle loss, it doesn't take much decline in movement to account for the rest.

But 10 calories a day doesn't mean much, does it? Only 10 calories a day, so 10 x 365 calories a year . . . a pound a year weight gain. Ten pounds a decade. And that's without adding any other habits - eating more, sitting more, beyond the minimal 10 calories daily - that make things come out worse.

It's really not metabolism. Don't focus on metabolism. There's little to be gained there.

Focus on eating nutritiously at an appropriate calorie level, and doing that exercise (especially exercise that has the potential to increase muscle). And - especially - move more in daily life: It can make a surprisingly large difference, especially someone like you who's already doing a good bit of exercise.

On that last point, this thread has ideas about non-exercise ways to move more throughout the day: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss

I'm not sure how long you've been on your current exercise regimen, not just those activities but the current volume/intensity. If recent, you can be looking at some water weight masking fat loss, even if eating is on point. Also, there's decent research suggesting that a big increase in exercise volume/intensity can increase fatigue to the point that we subtly do less in daily life (rest more, sleep longer, less active in other ways), effectively offsetting some of the exercise calories, possibly even a lot of the exercise calories.

You have little control or influence over your "metabolism". You have nearly complete control over how much you eat, and how much you move. Those last are where your power exists: Use it.

P.S. Age 38 vs. early 30s? I'm 63. Oh, and hypothroid, if that matters (hint: It doesn't matter much).

P.P.S: I share the question/concern about whether you think you're gaining fat if you see a scale jump day to day when you go up from 1400 calories (which frankly I'd lose weight like a house afire at). If it's day to day "gain", not month to month, it's much more likely normal, healthy water weight fluctuations and digestive system contents. Neither of those latter are fat, so they're not worth worrying about.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ntaylorut wrote: »
    So... I am a 38 yr old male, 6ft, 240lb. I lost 80lbs back in my early 30's. Looking back on it, it was really easy back then. I put 40 back on and decided that enough was enough about a year ago. However, I am stuck in the low 240's. My metabolism has taken a nose dive in the past several years. A few months ago, I collected data on weight gain versus calories eaten on workout days and non-workout days. My "stay the same" daily calorie intake is 1,400 cal/day. Obviously that is really low. Right now, I have my goal set at 1,750 calories per day. My workout routine consists of cross-fit on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I get a 5k in on Friday's and Sunday's (or the elliptical depending on weather) and rest on Wednesdays. That is my exercise and eating routine to stay in the low 240's. I know (or my Wife tells me) that I need to suck it up and make a doctor appointment, but in the meantime, any suggestions on increasing my metabolism either naturally or with a supplement that is natural and not harmful? Any help and/or advice would be appreciated, TIA

In addition to what @AnnPT77 , I have to question at this point if your logging is accurate.

The numbers you give suggest it's not.

Please read these posts and if you're not logging this way, you might be eating much more than you think you are.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1