Seeing a registered dietician?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    I’ve been struggling with some obsessive thoughts around food/exercise (currently eating 1200 calories a day, working out 3-4 times a week). I’ve decided it’s time to see a dietician to help me because I’m just struggling and my weight loss has stalled out which I’m not happy about. I understand they’re the expert but I’m so worried she’ll have me on a plan I actually gain on. I feel like my body needs a serious deficit to lose (even under 1200, seeing as I’m stalled out). I’m just wary about trusting her. Or it might be the whole “trust your body, eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full” thing and not even a real meal plan which is what got me in this mess to begin with. It’s just so hard for me to find a middle ground. Has anyone sought the help of a registered dietician, and were they helpful? I’m having a hard time with it but I’ve been pretty miserable lately and so think I need some help. I just feel like I can’t trust anyone anymore, especially my own body which is a really sad and lonely feeling. All my progress and goals are being hindered by me feeling inadequate and like I need to do so much more to never be fat again.

A Registered Dietician can be very helpful if you are struggling with knowing what to eat and I would highly recommend scheduling a consultation.

Your issues seem to lean more towards finding a psychotherapist who specializes in food related issues. Disordered thoughts around food isn't necessarily the big ED's like anorexia, binge eating, etc., it can also take the form of fear of food or anxiety about knowing what to eat.

A 2 pronged approach sounds like something you should consider. See a therapist to get over your fears and see a RD to get more practical advise. Therapists who specialize in food issues often have RD's they work with or at least recommend so that is where I would start.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I hope you reach out and get the help for understanding why you feel the way you do about yourself. Because it does sound as it is a bit more involved that just pure weight. And only you can decide what is a good weight for you, not your husband. Do not let him shame you into losing more weight by comparing you or judging you. Control comes in many forms and often it comes disguised in people who say they love us, and only want what is best for us.
    A food scale is a great way to know exactly how much food we are getting more so than measuring cups.
  • crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not eating back exercise calories. I want to get to the lower end of my BMI range - more “insurance” that I won’t get fat again[/quote]

This is why you are not losing weight. Going below 1200 is not going to guarantee a faster weight loss or any at all.

• crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    at 160lbs you are barely outside the healthy BMI range for your height - 1200cal is likely a too agressive calorie goal for your needs; in addition to your working out (are you eating back exercise calories?)

concur with a dietician who has experience with eating disorders and maybe even a therapist to discuss your issues

I am not eating back exercise calories. I want to get to the lower end of my BMI range - more “insurance” that I won’t get fat again

This is why you are not losing weight. Going below 1200 is not going to guarantee a faster weight loss or any at all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are you logging accurately? Do you weight all solid food on a food scale? Have you asked for feedback on your diary from MFPers? All these will help ensure you are eating the amount you think you are.