Decaf Coffee

Options
Is there such thing as a good tasting decaf coffee? After a visit to the ENT today I was advised to avoid caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and peppermint. At least until symptoms of my irritated throat clear up. I would still love a cup of coffee in the morning. If anyone has tips on brands that are good it would be appreciated!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Does the brand you usually drink have a decaf version?
    Personally, I would go with herbal tea for a while instead if you like it.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I buy Starbucks decaf at the supermarket. Any decaf coffee will taste differently than regular and will require getting used to :(
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Allie1618 wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a good tasting decaf coffee? After a visit to the ENT today I was advised to avoid caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and peppermint. At least until symptoms of my irritated throat clear up. I would still love a cup of coffee in the morning. If anyone has tips on brands that are good it would be appreciated!

I think I'd avoid the ENT first. Asking you to eliminate two whole food groups like that.

Concur on the herbal tea. Fake coffee would just depress me.
  • Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Peete’s. Good idea to look for the same brand in decaf! I love tea also. Appreciate the ideas.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, if you're giving up caffeine, chocolate usually goes as well because there is either caffeine in it or a compound that mimics caffeine (can't remember which off hand). I had to give up both as a teenager because of hormonally linked migraines.

You may want to look into Swiss water decaf. The longer beans are roasted, the less caffeine they have. Light roast will have more and dark roast will have less caffeine. Many companies continue to roast the crap out of their beans to get decaf so you end up with super dark and it's why they don't taste as good. The Swiss water process is used to essentially filter out the caffeine with water and then roast the beans. They can then roast for shorter times and get a better tasting coffee.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I like Seattle's Best Portside Blend (medium roast 3). It comes in both regular and decaf. I drink both depending on the time of day.
  • Allie1618
    Options
    @skram01 I’ve heard about the Swiss water method. I’ll look for that! Strange how caffeine effects people differently. Glad you figured that out early to get relief from the migraines.

He did mention trying to cut out the chocolate as well. I am not a big fan of chocolate so that will be easy to avoid at least.
  • Allie1618
    Options
    I like Seattle's Best Portside Blend (medium roast 3). It comes in both regular and decaf. I drink both depending on the time of day.

I’ll look for this today at Raleys. Thanks!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Does the brand you usually drink have a decaf version?
    Personally, I would go with herbal tea for a while instead if you like it.

This. I'd rather have peppermint tea than decaf coffee.