Breathing when lifting, HELP!!! So confusing

Options
Sparkle097
Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
This is so confusing! I watched so many YouTube videos and they are telling to breathe differently. The way I breathe when lifting is I breathe in and breathe out. For example when squatting with weights I inhale at the top, squat and breathe out at the top. Is this correct?
Some videos were saying it differently?

Also when I do bicep curls I breathe in when lifting the arm and breathe out when the arm goes down. Is this correct?

Replies

• Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to hold your breath during your entire rep.

I've read, and in my own experience found, it's best to breath in during the "set up", and out during the strain. So squatting for example, you breath in during the bend down, and breath out during the push up. Or for curls, breath in while extending your arm, and out during the curl.

Since I got the hang of my breathing I have found it to be much more rythmic and easier to push out heavier reps. Hope it helps!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I breathe in at the top, brace my midsection, descend, and as I move back up I may exhale a bit but most of that happens right as I get to the top.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I breathe in at the top, brace my midsection, descend, and as I move back up I may exhale a bit but most of that happens right as I get to the top.

This is a bit like holding your breath, which some say they don't like. I also do this and there is a purpose for it. For squats and dead lifts in particular, holding your breath helps you to properly brace your core, keeping all of the supporting muscles contracted to help keep your back in alignment - this especially includes your abs, since keeping your spine protected is one of their major functions.

I admit to there being varying schools of thought on this, perhaps even each side "debunking" the other. But for me, holding my breath does exactly what it's said to do....when the weights get heavy enough to the point of each rep being intense.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

This. It enables me to brace my core for the big lifts.
    Don’t focus all that much on my breathing during accessory lifts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This is a bit like holding your breath, which some say they don't like. I also do this and there is a purpose for it. For squats and dead lifts in particular, holding your breath helps you to properly brace your core, keeping all of the supporting muscles contracted to help keep your back in alignment - this especially includes your abs, since keeping your spine protected is one of their major functions.

I admit to there being varying schools of thought on this, perhaps even each side "debunking" the other. But for me, holding my breath does exactly what it's said to do....when the weights get heavy enough to the point of each rep being intense.
    PennyP312 wrote: »

Agree with all of this.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    But for me, holding my breath does exactly what it's said to do....when the weights get heavy enough to the point of each rep being intense.

Right--I can brace a bit less/get less particular with the breathing on my first couple of warm up sets and all is okay. Though I try not to get loosey goosey as I'm preparing mentally as well as physically so I like to stick with pretending that even my lightest sets are heavy.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I do this even though I don't particularly lift all that heavy, mostly because I consider core bracing such an integral part of lifting and can't see any way to do it without a bit of breath holding.
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Amerek412 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a good idea to hold your breath during your entire rep.

I've read, and in my own experience found, it's best to breath in during the "set up", and out during the strain. So squatting for example, you breath in during the bend down, and breath out during the push up. Or for curls, breath in while extending your arm, and out during the curl.

Since I got the hang of my breathing I have found it to be much more rythmic and easier to push out heavier reps. Hope it helps!

Agree with this!! It does take some practice, just make sure to go super light weight until you get it all down!!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple - exhale on effort, inhale on the recovery. For squats this would be exhalation on upward movement (the push) and inhalation on downward movement. If I need to readjust then I hold my breath briefly, but then take a forced breath and restart the motion.

I'm guessing many of these different techniques may be intended to push beyond personal records.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

This for me as well, though when I need something extra to get a particularly tough lift, I will let out the breath on my way up, it comes out more like a primal scream.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »

This for me as well, though when I need something extra to get a particularly tough lift, I will let out the breath on my way up, it comes out more like a primal scream.

True. Then you get all the fun looks from the non-powerlifters. :laugh:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I breathe out on the part that's hard.. So when I squat I breathe in on the way down and out on the way back up. Although yes sometimes I do not exhale all the way until I get to the top.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

This for me as well, though when I need something extra to get a particularly tough lift, I will let out the breath on my way up, it comes out more like a primal scream.[/quote]

Haha same! I try to let it out in a “shhhhh” sound to control the breath out, but who knows how loud it really is! my music is blaring so I can’t tell lol
    I’ve def gotten some looks 🤪
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Haha same! I try to let it out in a “shhhhh” sound to control the breath out, but who knows how loud it really is! my music is blaring so I can’t tell lol
    I’ve def gotten some looks 🤪[/quote]

My gym is at home and my husband used to poke his head around the corner to check on me after one of those "screams". Now it's just usual background noise. :laugh: