High Calories & Night Sweats

Options
I'm a hard gainer I've to eat a ton to gain anything and when i do eat a lot my body gets very hot and i start sweating even in winters when the room temp is cold. While sleeping i wake up 2-3 times because of sweating. I wonder if this happens with anyone else while they're on high carbs.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yep. After a long bike ride and the meal ends up later, and extra to make up for the huge burn - very much hot body from carb reload.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea.. happens to me too.. when I'm bulking I am an oven.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too! But I find after a week or so it goes away. Try sleeping with a towel or blanket under you that you can remove halfway through the night, or a new shirt / undies that you can change into. Also I find having the window open and heat off helps
  • freakovv
    freakovv Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea.. happens to me too.. when I'm bulking I am an oven.

It's not fun at all
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    Happens to me too! But I find after a week or so it goes away. Try sleeping with a towel or blanket under you that you can remove halfway through the night, or a new shirt / undies that you can change into. Also I find having the window open and heat off helps

Its been a month & night sweats are very persistent. I usually just sleep in my boxers and that gets sweaty too. I'll put a towel under me from now!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer, but I get the same thing. When I eat on the high end of my calories I get night sweats and have to change my shirt sometimes. Very annoying.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Window open at bedtime, drink water throughout the night if you wake, turn your pillow over for the cool side, cold water running over the wrists...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I had no idea why this occasionally happened to me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    just be glad you are not a woman who is also going through perimenopause and menopause and having night sweats on top of what you are experiencing lol that wouldnt be very fun at all .
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    From someone who went through this from another perspective (anti-estrogen drugs), another thing that can help at night is to get one of those reusable, chillable gel things that drugstores sell for icing problem joint pain. They stay soft and pliable even when very cold. Chill or freeze it, wrap it in a towel (so it isn't too cold on your skin) and put it against your body as you go to sleep. The most instantly effective place is against your neck, but that may be too much cooling. It won't last all night, but will do some good for several hours.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    From someone who went through this from another perspective (anti-estrogen drugs), another thing that can help at night is to get one of those reusable, chillable gel things that drugstores sell for icing problem joint pain. They stay soft and pliable even when very cold. Chill or freeze it, wrap it in a towel (so it isn't too cold on your skin) and put it against your body as you go to sleep. The most instantly effective place is against your neck, but that may be too much cooling. It won't last all night, but will do some good for several hours.

There is a cool pillow you can get that is wonderful.
    It is filled with a gel and stays cool all night without refrigeration.
    I tended to rotate it once or twice a night, but keeping my head cool, kept all of me just that bit cooler.

Cheers, h.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There is some research that suggests 65-70deg is optimal temp for sleep

I also saw a fan like contraption that you attach to your bed and it circulated air under your covers
  • freakovv
    Options
    I stopped eating 3hrs prior to bed. Not optimal for gains but it stopped my night sweats!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    freakovv wrote: »
    I stopped eating 3hrs prior to bed. Not optimal for gains but it stopped my night sweats!

how is it not optimal for gains?
  • freakovv
    Options
    freakovv wrote: »

how is it not optimal for gains?

I'll be fasting for more than 11hrs when i wake up. Not really an optimal condition for growth if you're desparate in getting big & happens to have a fast metabolism.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just need to eat more all day long, then not have your last meal so big.

It's partially about timing - but also about quantity your body is dealing with. You can mess a little with both.

Get your carbs in earlier, save more protein for closer to bedtime to be used with repair time - that is for sure more active process then - might as well still feed it if possible.
    But carb restore can be done.

Still could be a minor problem - but may be able to help more than you think.
  • GratefulWayFarer
    GratefulWayFarer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Me too.. Easily cured with a cold shower, I sleep like a baby after that.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is normal and predictable - known as adaptive thermogenesis.

This works in the same manner as a fire - provide more fuel at a faster rate results in a higher temperature. Your body is working harder to attempt to manage the incomming fuel, resulting in a higher body temperature. There are a number of clinical studies, but a more visual example lies within any of the 10kcal/day challenges on YouTube. Subjects will show an increase in BMR for 24-48 hours following large caloric intake.

Try spacing out your meals more so that you don't have one meal with an unusually large number of calories. Not much more you can do about this.
  • time2055
    time2055 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Higher protein intake will cause your body to be warmer