Hunger pains while doing cardio

Does anyone have any snack recommendations to curb hunger pains while working out? I run on the treadmill 3-4 days a week after work. One of the problems I sometimes have is I feel weak from lack of food since it might be 4 hours since I ate last. I'm looking for something that will keep my hunger pains from effecting my workout but will also not make me feel stuffed or bloated.
«1

Replies

  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,731 Member
    jbanteau wrote: »
    Does anyone have any snack recommendations to curb hunger pains while working out? I run on the treadmill 3-4 days a week after work. One of the problems I sometimes have is I feel weak from lack of food since it might be 4 hours since I ate last. I'm looking for something that will keep my hunger pains from effecting my workout but will also not make me feel stuffed or bloated.

    just have a carb based snack an hour before you run?

    i often have a few crackers with reduced fat cheese.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    How long after lunch is the work out? are you eating a solid balanced lunch? If so, eat a snack (good ideas above - nuts, protein bar, fruit and yogurt, beef jerky - there are options at all calorie levels).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,320 Member
    What is your daily calorie goal? Maybe you need to eat more overall.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,971 Member
    When I was going to the gym after work I had to make sure I ate a snack at least a couple hours before. Just whatever, didn't matter what.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,971 Member
    Eat closer to when you workout until you find a happy medium because satiety and not feeling too "full" during your workout. Bring a snack with you so you have it during work.

    Also, I'm sorry, I'm going to be THAT person. It's hunger pangs. I'm so sorry.

    :D:D:D I love how you apologized twice for saying that
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,234 Member
    i would eat a little something before i started after work
    yogurt
    honey stinger waffle
    molasses cookie
    peanut butter and jelly in tortilla
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,272 Member
    If I absolutely have to have a snack right before a workout then I will go for peanut butter...it's good and takes the edge off without taking up so much room that I feel sick when I get into the more intense parts of the work out.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Eat a serving of carbs and make sure that you are drinking water prior as well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,234 Member
    oh i've also had a chomp or gu
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,848 Member
    jbanteau wrote: »
    Does anyone have any snack recommendations to curb hunger pains while working out? I run on the treadmill 3-4 days a week after work. One of the problems I sometimes have is I feel weak from lack of food since it might be 4 hours since I ate last. I'm looking for something that will keep my hunger pains from effecting my workout but will also not make me feel stuffed or bloated.

    If I have to eat something right before or during cardio, I go with fruit snacks (or any other sugar/starch-syrup based chew/gel/etc).
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    I usually eat a banana if i feel like I need something, or just half, depending on how hungry I am.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    fraukazi wrote: »
    I usually eat a banana if i feel like I need something, or just half, depending on how hungry I am.

    Bananas are my go-to for something before a run. For lifting, I like to nibble on one between sets. :tongue:

    But yeah, some folks do better with some fat/protein too. I'd just play around with something light. Crackers cheese, meat or peanut butter work well too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,271 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    fraukazi wrote: »
    I usually eat a banana if i feel like I need something, or just half, depending on how hungry I am.

    Bananas are my go-to for something before a run. For lifting, I like to nibble on one between sets. :tongue:

    But yeah, some folks do better with some fat/protein too. I'd just play around with something light. Crackers cheese, meat or peanut butter work well too.

    Yep. String cheese is my go-to.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,601 Member
    i'll normally do a greek yogurt and some gummy bears - about an hour prior; you could consider having gatorade (or another drink wiht calories) while you are on the treadmill

    but i also wonder what are your calories for the day and how far are you running?
  • KG_1988
    KG_1988 Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2018
    edit