Pushups

Options
What is your favorite pushup? I enjoy pike pushups but flying superman pushups seem to be more visually dramatic.
wjyqv4a92y5u.jpg

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Just the plain boring ones because they are the only kind I can do. Still working on my form. The first 8 - 10 are fine but then my elbows start to flail out and causes pain so I'll stop and do another set later. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Or it's probably just weakness.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    0s58saqhb03x.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    0s58saqhb03x.gif

She is quite mesmerising!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 - you can do negative only push ups to help build your strength once you get past the point of doing a full one
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Just the plain boring ones because they are the only kind I can do. Still working on my form. The first 8 - 10 are fine but then my elbows start to flail out and causes pain so I'll stop and do another set later. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Or it's probably just weakness.

If you are having trouble to do push-ups this is what I would recommend. Try doing a push-up standing against the wall and just doing the motion. If that is easy and then try doing an elevated push-up with your hands on a table or chair and your feet on the ground. If you're able to do that then try doing knee push ups
  • golfchess
    Options
    0s58saqhb03x.gif

Wow! That is impressive
  • golfchess
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    When I was in boot camp, we did so many pushups one day, we pushed Oklahoma into Texas.

Then they got mad at us and made us turn around and push it back.

:)

Paul Bunyan would be jealous.
  • NvrGivUpM8
    NvrGivUpM8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love doing dive bomber pushups!
  • golfchess
    Options

If you're able to do 8 to 10 great push-ups then you are way above the Curve.
  • golfchess
    Options
    NvrGivUpM8 wrote: »
    I love doing dive bomber pushups!

I just looked up how to do those. I'm going to give it a try
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    @BZAH10 - you can do negative only push ups to help build your strength once you get past the point of doing a full one

Thank you and @golfchess for your tips! I CAN do regular push ups but only 8 or 10 with good form. Then my elbows start to go outwards. That's where I'm having trouble.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @BZAH10 Try doing pushups either on your knees or your hands elevated on a chair/table. You will find a lot less resistance. Form is so important. At the gym, I see so many people doing a pushup incorrectly.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Also do variations of just a standard pushup.

For example Wide angle pushups will focus more on the chest (larger muscle group) where diamond pushups will focus more on the triceps (smaller muscle group).

You should always work your way from the larger muscle group to the smaller, so you don't exhaust the smaller muscle group before the larger muscle group even gets a workout.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @OldAssDude I believe that you need to be able to do a standard pushup before moving to slight variations (wide and diamond). I have found that people enjoy doing the lizard (one hand is further out front than the other) as a next step pushup. You start to work on your balance, too!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    "hi guys I wanted to share a pic of me doing a superman pushup"

Impressive nonetheless :)
  • golfchess
    Options
    Thank you @shaf238
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I like ones that do t make my shoulder feel like it will give way.....so lately none.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    golfchess wrote: »

If you are having trouble to do push-ups this is what I would recommend. Try doing a push-up standing against the wall and just doing the motion. If that is easy and then try doing an elevated push-up with your hands on a table or chair and your feet on the ground. If you're able to do that then try doing knee push ups
    A flight of stairs is your best friend when it comes to learning to do press ups. (Rather than your knees that is a different movement)
    Start almost vertical and when you can do 3 sets of 10 move your hands down a step. Eventually you'll be horizontal and then can start on decline push ups be putting your feet on the steps..