Pushups

Options
2»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As for what push ups I like best, I like to be challenged.
    Love push presses, possibly because when we started doing them in class i was one of the few that could get both hands and feet off the floor. Or because I like the explosive action.
    Quite like decline push ups too, because they're a real challenge for me right now as I've only just started doing them (my pt decided that the best time to do them for the first time was while wearing a 20kg weighted vest, that was a challenge)
    Then there's the Bring Sally Up challenge, look out up on you tube, that's a real doozy.
    Next ones to master are renegade rows.

And the only push ups I can't do, that I really hate are shoulder push ups. They hurt.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @AliNouveau have you tried doing pushups with your legs elevated on a stability ball or handstand?
  • golfchess
    Options
    @firef1y72 I did not even think of stairs. That is an excellent idea.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    golfchess wrote: »
    @AliNouveau have you tried doing pushups with your legs elevated on a stability ball or handstand?

Can't do anything weight bearing on my shoulders due to a rotator cuff issue. I was up to doing a few and then my shoulder just wouldn't even tolerate planks. That's when I went to the Dr haha
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Just the plain boring ones because they are the only kind I can do. Still working on my form. The first 8 - 10 are fine but then my elbows start to flail out and causes pain so I'll stop and do another set later. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Or it's probably just weakness.

If you are having trouble to do push-ups this is what I would recommend. Try doing a push-up standing against the wall and just doing the motion. If that is easy and then try doing an elevated push-up with your hands on a table or chair and your feet on the ground. If you're able to do that then try doing knee push ups
    A flight of stairs is your best friend when it comes to learning to do press ups. (Rather than your knees that is a different movement)
    Start almost vertical and when you can do 3 sets of 10 move your hands down a step. Eventually you'll be horizontal and then can start on decline push ups be putting your feet on the steps..

Yeah, I tend to agree that knee push ups don't do much to train you for regular push ups. I can do knee push ups like a champ.

I cannot do a single regular push up, and find lower elevated push ups challenging.

Knee push ups don't engage the core muscles as much as full body push ups do.
  • golfchess
    Options
    @AliNouveau sorry to hear about your shoulder. I was sent to pt my my doctor. It ended up that I did not have proper form when i was exercising. It is great that you know your limits
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    @AliNouveau sorry to hear about your shoulder. I was sent to pt my my doctor. It ended up that I did not have proper form when i was exercising. It is great that you know your limits

I was sent to pt too. He sent me for an ultrasound which revealed a tear. Considering I ignored it for a year I don't really know my limits Hahah. Well until they affect my life a lot
  • golfchess
    Options
    @AliNouveau It sounds like we both had a similar experience exercising through the pain and paying the price.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    0s58saqhb03x.gif

😮 #goals
  • golfchess
    Options
    @mg07030 I thought that was you doing push ups until I realized that you do your one-handed push ups with your left hand
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    0s58saqhb03x.gif

Seriously?! This is impossible.