Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nah, the weather is usually too rubbish for cycling here. I might just wing it and see what happens. I'm not trying to beat a speed record. And worst case I drag myself to the next train station and go home. Even though I'd miss out on the finisher beerglas and hefty dinner :D

Honestly that's an incredibly bad idea.
    Not for the speed but for the needless suffering and hugely increased chance of failing to complete the event. Time in the saddle will make a massive difference to the chance of succeeding and getting some enjoyment out of it.

Would also recommend switching to a road bike, I did a century ride on a hybrid but once I borrowed a road bike for a 115 mile event I never went back to doing long distances on flat bar bikes.

Apologies if I "mis-remembered" (thanks for that word Hillary!) but are you in the UK?
    If yes have a look at the Audax UK site for events and guidance and if you change your mind about preparing for the event the British Heart Foundation has some really good training plans.

Netherlands, now. No, I don't have the cash to buy a second bike, and neither the space to store it. I will have to do a few longer rides, but I don't want to train properly for it as a) weather b) rubbish weather c) I'm tough and can do some amazing things. But I can not train cardio regularly anymore due to some as of yet unknown possibly endocrine problem. I get sick if I do cardio regularly. A very tough day is fine though. I know that from some very long, very strenuous, very untrained hikes earlier this year and a few other things.

Um ... if you get sick from doing cardio, you're not going to feel well on a 300K.

One of the reasons we train for a 300K is to get our bodies used to eating and drinking properly. It's not all about building the muscle etc. a lot of it has to do with nutrition and hydration. What works for a 40 km bicycle ride may not work for a 300 km bicycle ride.

Another reason we train for a 300K is to ensure that our bicycles are properly set up and that we've got the right equipment. How do you feel about cycling in the dark? I know this is scheduled for the longest day of the year, so you've got a good chance of doing it all in daylight. And maybe you'll be faster than I am. But I do my 300Ks in 16-18 hours. How do you feel about being on the bicycle for 18 hours, and perhaps into darkness?

I've cycled a lot, and I keep pretty active in general with walking, hiking, running, weights, etc. ... but I still build up to a 300K if I haven't done one in a little while.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Duck_Puddle is right.
    You don't want to prepare for this at all? I am going to bet that you have such chafing at 100 km that you quit right then and there.
    You've got to work up to it -- to toughen up. You've got to know what cycling shorts work for you, what saddle, etc., etc.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If nothing else this thread has inspired me to lay out my 200 mile training plan for May next year

No kidding! I'm doing a century in April (havent done one in probably 10 years). My butt and shoulders are already plotting revenge if I don't stay serious with my training.
  • Machka9
    Options
    The thing is, I think it is entirely possible for you to do a 300K (320K) in June ... and perhaps even feel reasonably comfortable doing it ... if you start working toward it now.

Even if you just work up to a century (160 km / 100 miles) in April or early May, that will help.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    So you are planning to ride 320 km in ONE day and your training plan is to "wing it"? Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Miserably, I suppose :D

Though the big failures in my life were always those I really prepared for, and those that went well enough where I winged it. Both sports, school and uni, professionally... and relationship :D

Please don't delude yourself into thinking that this will go well or that you will finish the ride without training.

Based on your stated approach, here's a more likely scenario: Mild discomfort beginning fairly early in the ride, soon turning to leg, back or shoulder soreness that becomes outright pain within the first 100km. Then it gets worse. If nutrition and hydration aren't right, be prepared for decreased ability to focus, and eventually impaired judgement. If you're very persistent and driven to succeed, this misery will unfold over a number of hours before eventually becoming so unbearable that it causes you to quit. If you're not as persistent, the misery will be of a somewhat shorter duration. In either case, there will be misery and no finishing the ride.

So add me to the list of cyclists who are hoping you'll re evaluate your approach.

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Lol, just updated my 200 mile training plan for May next year and it's not pretty. First century in three weeks. Would have been do able but I lost nine weeks of prep time, mid Oct until this week, due to an accident. Be a miracle to finish it the May double but the plans to tackle the California Triple Crown is definitely out the window.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have done many 200, 300 mile rides and one 400 miles ride all in a day. Did 752 (1200km) in 4 days. With 10000 meters of climbing. It’s all on Strava. They are always hard. I can average 21-22 mph solo for hilly 100 miles and 200 are always hard. If I back the pace down to around 19-20 mph, 200 is easier for me but that last 3/4 hours still suck. And I ride 800 hours a year, I can absorb a silly amount of training stress.

Sijomial is right, it’s a lot suffering. If you are not prepared for 160km solo, 320km will take you 13-15 hours of pedaling. But if your not on a road bike the longest day of the year might not be enough light. That’s if your muscles hold out. With no training you may cramp with little chance of continuing. Do you understand nutrition for ultras...if not that alone could end your campaign.

But as I my friends say to me, I’m the king of crazy ***** so if you think you can endure and I guess have the bragging rights...Go for it. I look forward to hearing about...for good or something else...
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've cycled the following ...

EVENT ............ NUMBER
    CENTURY ........ 108
    200K .............. 36
    300K .............. 21
    400K .............. 13
    600K .............. 7
    1000K ............ 1
    1200K ............ 4
    TOTAL ............. 190 rides over 100 miles / 160 km

So ... just a bit of "voice of experience". :) Because I love long distance cycling, I also hope you do it. But hope you take steps to make it a good experience. :)
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I agree with @sijomial ... you will pedal your legs silly if you don't use a road bike.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Ok, today I wanted to see what's possible: 104km in 5 hours. Yes, leisurely cycling. But I didn't try to go fast as I'd not cycled in nearly 5 years; and got lost quite a few times. And then my phone refused to charge on the last 30km and needed some convincing regularly to get me home, and switched itself off on the last 10 (how to I get home now!!! :D) so I had to slow down a bit more than I'd liked. This was easy. My legs didn't hurt at all, neither did my back or arms. I found a few things I'd improve on my bike (the saddle points slightly downwards at the front and I might look into grips for the end of my bar) but otherwise no pain, no problems at all. The biggest problem were alternating frozen fingers and toes for the whole tour but that always happens in winter. I still feel good now and not tired at all.

So whatever you say: I'll just see how it goes. If it doesn't go at all and I have to give up at 50km then so be it. It's not a race, remember? Also, I can always get to a train station and get home. For me, this is just a way of seeing what's possible with this old body of mine. And have a bit of fun.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Based on the info you provided you averages 13mph/20.8kph - maintaining that for a 300km ride would mean it would take you just shy of 14.5hrs to finish

Please let that sink in...that means you would finish likely after the sun goes down and that assumes you maintain a consistent pace with no breaks
  • yirara
    Options
    Deannalfisher, I can calculalte. Let me ask you something: have you ever done anything that has less that 95% of success or is your life completely safe and planned? I constantly do crazy things. Sometimes it works out, more often it doesn't. I still enjoy doing them, simply because I can and because I learn something about myself along the way. A colleague of mine does a different kind of crazy: bungee jumping, standing 3 minutes in -30 degrees, jumping into the sea in winter, etc.. He does it for the same reason: because he can and because he learns something about himself. For me, those things would only be a short sensation. I look for challenges that take longer.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Ok, today I wanted to see what's possible: 104km in 5 hours. Yes, leisurely cycling. But I didn't try to go fast as I'd not cycled in nearly 5 years; and got lost quite a few times. And then my phone refused to charge on the last 30km and needed some convincing regularly to get me home, and switched itself off on the last 10 (how to I get home now!!! :D) so I had to slow down a bit more than I'd liked. This was easy. My legs didn't hurt at all, neither did my back or arms. I found a few things I'd improve on my bike (the saddle points slightly downwards at the front and I might look into grips for the end of my bar) but otherwise no pain, no problems at all. The biggest problem were alternating frozen fingers and toes for the whole tour but that always happens in winter. I still feel good now and not tired at all.

Great ... in roughly 3-4 weeks or so, go for a 125 km ride. About 4-ish weeks after that, go for a 150 km ride. And keep riding shorter distances in between. You're getting there! :)

And in answer to your other question ...

Not one of my four 1200K randonnees was a 95% guarantee. In fact, I've DNF'd 3 of the 7 -1200K randonnees I've attempted. But I was reasonably prepared for all of them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Deannalfisher, I can calculalte. Let me ask you something: have you ever done anything that has less that 95% of success or is your life completely safe and planned? I constantly do crazy things. Sometimes it works out, more often it doesn't. I still enjoy doing them, simply because I can and because I learn something about myself along the way. A colleague of mine does a different kind of crazy: bungee jumping, standing 3 minutes in -30 degrees, jumping into the sea in winter, etc.. He does it for the same reason: because he can and because he learns something about himself. For me, those things would only be a short sensation. I look for challenges that take longer.

Raced motorbikes for 10 years, threw myself into the scenery with some regularity, if you aren't risking crashing you aren't pushing hard enough to find your limit.
    I always put enough fuel in the tank to finish the races though.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I think the primary point most people are making is that this doesn’t NEED to be a crazy thing with a low likelihood of success.

A bit of preparation makes this a reasonably achievable challenge.

No one is suggesting you can’t or shouldn’t do this.

Everyone is suggesting putting a bit of training into it.

The challenge of an event is not eliminated because you are reasonably prepared for it. You don’t get bonus points for needless suffering - that doesn’t count as martyrdom.

What are you afraid will happen if you do choose to do a modicum of preparation?
  • yirara
    edited December 2018
    Options
    double
  • yirara
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I get that! I just can't train properly as regular cardio (at least running and swimming) makes me sick and gets me into hospital worst case with an as of yet undiagnosed, potentially endocrine problem, less bad with barely sleeping for up to 4 weeks due to constant peeing and muscles and heart problems, and shortness of breath caused by loss of electrolytes. That's also the reason why I'm not running anymore despite that it me very happy and works against depression. I will cycle more regularly once it gets a bit warmer (got frozen finger and toe syndrome. Thanks mom!) but not every few days as it might trigger yet another episode. I can go mountain hiking for a whole day once in a while or take part in an office running event. But once I start training 3x per week or so I'll get sick. Doing quick bodyweight intervals can be problematic as well. So far no problems a few long hikes on vacation with a few days of rest inbetween or lifting weights or slow bodyweight intervals 4-6x per week.
  • yirara
    Options
    Right guys, I'd planned another long cycle trip for Saturday but changed plans a bit. Someone I know is selling her hardly ever used racing bike. So I'll 'hop' just over the German border (nearly 3 hours by train) and have a look at it. I found a bike with the same geometry in a shop and it seems to fit, though will need some adjustments. I think I'll consider it as a long-term project: wider handlebar (my balance is poor and I need a wider one), wider saddle with padding (I can't wear tight pants, and thus no pants with build-in padding), and other pedals. Not sure it'll be ready for the big ride but I'm excited nonetheless. Oh, and it looks like a smurf :D