Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    I just put on my pjs and can shimmy out of my size 10's without unbuttoning nor unzipping them. This means size 8 is in my near future...so grateful, so thankful. Not sure why I'm so amazed, but amazed I am that I can take off my size 10 jeans without unbuttoning them. It seems like just YESTERDAY I was saying that about my size 16's. So...it looks like possibly before year's end, o:) I'll be in a size 8 from a size 22w this time last year. o:)Slow and steady---it's so worth it!!!!
    44757625_499828113846051_680599856786131269_n.jpg

WOW! You've made remarkable progress! Love that you keep reiterating Slow. It reminds me that I too am making progress. I am officially down a pant size! Congrats my friend!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Just went through another large purge and got rid of ~20 medium boxes. Either Goodwill donations, auctioned off, or re-purposed. We had the kids go through the same exercise and I put up more shelving, closet organizers, etc. so everything now has a proper place. We put a rule in the house that either you find a place for it or it leave's the house in a week.

I moved the TV and entertainment center to the basement and we now have a great room where we can put a Griswold worthy Christmas tree.

@CSARdiver Wow, that's fantastic!! Love it. You must feel awesome after that.
  • snoo61
    Orphia wrote: »
    All this NEAT led to feeling better, doing more purposeful exercise, eating according to my calorie limit, losing weight, feeling better, round and round.

Today I was thinking that NEAT is sort of like doing the "right" thing:
    • You walk to the bin instead of leaving rubbish on the table - more calories burned; tidy house.
    • I just walked two sides of a triangle along the path instead of taking the short cut across a carpark - safer; more calories burned.
    • I walk to work - less carbon emissions; save money; more calories burned.

Doing the "right" thing has so many benefits!

Losing 80 lbs using MFP, running, and participating in community discussions led me to not having drunk alcohol since January 31 2018.

Not drinking meant not needing as much time in bed trying to sleep. Now I sleep more soundly and don't wake as often, which means I have more time to do nice things.

Yesterday morning after my run I still had lots of time to spare before my last day of work for the year:
    • I put away some things I'd left in the hall after doing some rearranging around the house.
    • I walked to the hardware shop and bought some picture hooks and hung prints of my son's artwork properly in my yoga room (his room when he comes home).
    • I tidied my room, and wiped down all the surfaces free of dust.

And when I came home, it all looked lovely, and now I have 12 days holiday!

This is a wonderful post! You tied it all back to the results you wanted...and got. Thank you!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Not sure why, but when I clicked on this thread I ended up on pg 33 & there were several comments on anger. Interestingly, anger is a secondary emotion that has other feelings underneath. Hurt, frustration, helplessness. So if a person can figure out why they are feeling hurt, frustrated or helpless then it can help to dispel the anger. WE are so afraid of our anger, but it can be an indicator of something in our life that needs some attention. So when I am feeling angry for no apparent reason, I ask myself what I'm hurt etc about & it helps me figure myself out. Perhaps this method will help someone else.

It is really the unresolved anger that sits in layers within us that can wreak havoc with our well being...Anyhoo, just thought I'd share that little tidbit I learned from dealing with my own anger.

I live in a really small space 400 sq ft consisting of a bedroom kitchen/living area & bathroom. I moved from a rather large space & got rid of tons of stuff, but still have too many things. Some are beloved, paintings, antique mirrors & other antique pieces...I have rather large furniture so that does not help. The real problem I have is knicky knacky stuff that has some sentimental attachment for me. I know that this space I currently live in is only an in between place & don't want to get too far on the getting-rid-of-stuff bandwagon, but definitely feel congested & I know it creates some anxiety for me. It takes no time for my place to look like a bomb went off when a few things are out of place, but once I neaten it all up, it's like I can breathe again...so I'm pretty certain that if I could clear a few surfaces of "stuff" it would be cathartic.

SO, having said ALL THAT, I though about boxing up my beloved knicky knacks for a start & finding someone's basement to put them in.

I love the comments about not just tangible material clutter, but emotional clutter & toxic people cluttering our lives....It is ALL a process & we do what we can when we're ready to do it....

Anyway, glad I found this thread cause I need some help!!! in a few different areas.

Wow! Ive been sitting and stewing with some angry feelings/thoughts/negative self talk and have been having a hard time working thru it...which has been frustrating for my usual eternal optimist self. Your post had got me digging deeper to find whats hurting right now so I can honor it and work thru it. Thank you!!!

It’s interesting you should mention this. Because I was doing that too. A few days ago, I was talking in my head to a few people who hurt me, whose views I just don’t get... but after awhile, I knew I was just fanning the flames. The ego LOVES to get riled up, makes it feel so important, and we keep feeding it with our thoughts, that mostly aren’t even true.
    Thanks for bringing this up. I changed my thinking when I mediated and also listened to Maya Angelou’s poem ‘Still I rise”. Xoxo
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited December 2018
    All this NEAT led to feeling better, doing more purposeful exercise, eating according to my calorie limit, losing weight, feeling better, round and round.

• You walk to the bin instead of leaving rubbish on the table - more calories burned; tidy house.
    • I just walked two sides of a triangle along the path instead of taking the short cut across a carpark - safer; more calories burned.

Losing 80 lbs using MFP, running, and participating in community discussions led me to not having drunk alcohol since January 31 2018.

Not drinking meant not needing as much time in bed trying to sleep. Now I sleep more soundly and don't wake as often, which means I have more time to do nice things.

Yesterday morning after my run I still had lots of time to spare before my last day of work for the year:
    • I put away some things I'd left in the hall after doing some rearranging around the house.
    • I walked to the hardware shop and bought some picture hooks and hung prints of my son's artwork properly in my yoga room (his room when he comes home).

Man oh man O, your post (this one AND all of your other posts here), is like winning the lottery or some other HUGE prize. You have a way of inspiring and provoking one to not only "think", but to actually make changes in one's life to not be as "hard" or complicated and I just love you for that! Your overcoming so many common, but super difficult issues/situations/fun but destructive "problems" like drinking and obesity is nothing less than admirable and amazing. Thank you beloved for posting, this post is going to uplift and help so many people, including lil ole me.
    {{{{{{ <3 Hugs and the highest of fives <3 }}}}}}}}} to you. Keep on keeping on and YAY YOU and please know that you are NOT alone and once more, thank you for taking the time, love, faith and boldness to share here. You super-star you!

P.S. BOOOOOOOM!!!!! o:)<3o:)
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I just put on my pjs and can shimmy out of my size 10's without unbuttoning nor unzipping them. This means size 8 is in my near future...so grateful, so thankful. Not sure why I'm so amazed, but amazed I am that I can take off my size 10 jeans without unbuttoning them. It seems like just YESTERDAY I was saying that about my size 16's. So...it looks like possibly before year's end, o:) I'll be in a size 8 from a size 22w this time last year. o:)Slow and steady---it's so worth it!!!!

Thank you for the reminder. It's inspired me to not put one more morsel of food in my gob!! Some days I just want to eat & eat, & today is one...BUT I am NOT going to do that...I WANT to make progress & I AM!! So no self-sabotage for this chickie...I'm going to jump in a hot tub & read my new book!!! Thank you for your positive outlook & your kindness! <3
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    I love this.

I read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" and "The Spark of Joy" by Marie Kondo and got pretty hooked for a while on decluttering. I started with things that were easy and became much more aware of what gives me joy and doesn't and have continued to work on that ever since. Donating, selling, giving away to people or groups I think can use things. Then ultimately I kept what truly made me feel good and found a place for those things. This flowed over into other non-material areas of my life. Do the conversations I have bring me joy? Do I enjoy the moments I have or people I spend time with? Am I saying things that create a better environment or relationship? Some people I disconnected from. Some, I had to take a break and reinvent how our conversations went.

I am not 100% decluttered or organized by any means. I have several bags in the back of my car for donations, but I am sooo much closer. I also think that decluttering and organizing my home and life, truly allowed for me to be ready to tackle losing weight and being healthy again.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited December 2018

Thank you for the reminder. It's inspired me to not put one more morsel of food in my gob!! Some days I just want to eat & eat, & today is one...BUT I am NOT going to do that...I WANT to make progress & I AM!! So no self-sabotage for this chickie...I'm going to jump in a hot tub & read my new book!!! Thank you for your positive outlook & your kindness! <3

{{{{{* <3 enthusiastically waving Hi Lorraine <3 *}}}}}}

My absolute pleasure and you are MORE than welcomed and THANK YOU for replying...you're fabulous, period.

Your post brings up such important matters than are super REAL. I so can relate to all you've said, especially the dreaded, dastardly and blasted "self-sabotage"--UGH! Girlfriend, self-sabotage was my "shadow" and dogged my thinking/living" for so many. many. MANY years. I am so thrilled for you that you are "seeing/recognizing" it happening and getting it/understand that the feel good/right deception that self-sabotage tells us to "don't or do continue to think and live this way" that self-sabotage deceives us into believing and doing is one of the major keys that is "contaminating/stagnating/counter-productive/defeating you". That your eyes are opening/opened to this is so wonderful--YAY YOU! Self-sabotage is also so tricky, it sounds/feels so right, but is so, ummmm..WRONG/hurtful to/for us and keeps us in a yucky old box that seems impossible to get out of--but it's not impossible to get out of once we FINALLY wake-up to what's really happening when we open the door/allow/embrace self-sabotage. SEEING it for yourself AND refusing to go along with y/our own self-sabotage is the baby-steps into getting out of that comfortable but ugh-ish box self-sabotage truly is, for sure.

Honeyyyyyyyy....taking long hot fabulous baths are soooo under-rated, taking hot baths filled with all kinds of yummy smelling, skin-softing, body pampering is so very "luxuriating" and soooo good for/to you. Reading real books is also under-rated. It's something about good old fashioned books (vs. cyber or electronic reading) that helps you more than we fully understand. Again, YAY YOU and
    {{{Hugs}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited December 2018
    I love this.

I read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" and "The Spark of Joy" by Marie Kondo and got pretty hooked for a while on decluttering. I started with things that were easy and became much more aware of what gives me joy and doesn't and have continued to work on that ever since. Donating, selling, giving away to people or groups I think can use things. Then ultimately I kept what truly made me feel good and found a place for those things. This flowed over into other non-material areas of my life. Do the conversations I have bring me joy? Do I enjoy the moments I have or people I spend time with? Am I saying things that create a better environment or relationship? Some people I disconnected from. Some, I had to take a break and reinvent how our conversations went.

I am not 100% decluttered or organized by any means. I have several bags in the back of my car for donations, but I am sooo much closer. I also think that decluttering and organizing my home and life, truly allowed for me to be ready to tackle losing weight and being healthy again.

First and foremost WELCOME and {{{{Hugs}}}}} and thank you so much for contributing to this thread! What you've written here and shared is tremendous. WOW! I love this so much. BOOM!

o:)<3o:)
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    OK...SO, I haven't gotten my box (es) to put my knicky-knackies in, but I did clear off some surfaces & put the "stuff" in cupboards that can be shut...just to get a feel for less stuff...some of the stuff is family pics & I've decided to take some of the time I have off in the next few days to clear off a shelf in an armoire in my bedroom to display all of the family pics & when I want to see them I can just open the doors and when I'm done, shut the doors. I cleared the top of my armoire in the living area off to a few things. So I'm on my way....
  • Orphia
    edited December 2018

Man oh man O, your post (this one AND all of your other posts here), is like winning the lottery or some other HUGE prize. You have a way of inspiring and provoking one to not only "think", but to actually make changes in one's life to not be as "hard" or complicated and I just love you for that! Your overcoming so many common, but super difficult issues/situations/fun but destructive "problems" like drinking and obesity is nothing less than admirable and amazing. Thank you beloved for posting, this post is going to uplift and help so many people, including lil ole me.
    {{{{{{ <3 Hugs and the highest of fives <3 }}}}}}}}} to you. Keep on keeping on and YAY YOU and please know that you are NOT alone and once more, thank you for taking the time, love, faith and boldness to share here. You super-star you!

Thanks so much for your lovely compliments! They brought tears to my eyes. xxxooo

You'll like this:

My post and the theme of your awesome thread can be summed up by a term someone used to describe my progress elsewhere:

"An adaptive spiral".

Isn't that beautiful?
  • snoo61
    edited December 2018
    snoo61 wrote: »

WOW! You've made remarkable progress! Love that you keep reiterating Slow. It reminds me that I too am making progress. I am officially down a pant size! Congrats my friend!

I.am.so.HAPPY.DANCING for/with you Snoo. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_6smMvNWSOOQzJw2SryL5qP9hX-h7_bHBxklcMAyyT9y0jCwB

This is utterly FABULOUS news--down one whole pants size is so, so, so, excellent--YAY you
    and {{{{ <3 HUGS and the highest of fives <3 }}}}}

From one "turtle" to another...BOOM!!!!!

P.S. C0ECB7D3621168602943268786176_32ac0783a5b.1.5.11513870717914551276.mp4.jpg?versionId=CA_MxZFkw1sssFXS6.FODrFYRKCE6oAj

Slow and steady wins the strawberry! Love that pic :smiley:
    I'm happy dancing too! Thank you for all the encouragement, it means so much to me, and many more.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

I.am.so.HAPPY.DANCING for/with you Snoo. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_6smMvNWSOOQzJw2SryL5qP9hX-h7_bHBxklcMAyyT9y0jCwB

This is utterly FABULOUS news--down one whole pants size is so, so, so, excellent--YAY you
    and {{{{ <3 HUGS and the highest of fives <3 }}}}}

From one "turtle" to another...BOOM!!!!!

P.S. C0ECB7D3621168602943268786176_32ac0783a5b.1.5.11513870717914551276.mp4.jpg?versionId=CA_MxZFkw1sssFXS6.FODrFYRKCE6oAj

Slow and steady wins the strawberry! Love that pic :smiley:
    I'm happy dancing too! Thank you for all the encouragement, it means so much to me, and many more.

:D Hahahahahahahahhaaaahhahahahah--super ultra lol :D ! This is so FUNNY and thought provoking to/for me--"slow and steady wins the strawberry" I LOVE that so much, brings such laughter and joy thinking about that.
    My absolute pleasure and delight my friend {{{Hugs and LOL again}}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited December 2018

Thanks so much for your lovely compliments! They brought tears to my eyes. xxxooo

You'll like this:

My post and the theme of your awesome thread can be summed up by a term someone used to describe my progress elsewhere:

"An adaptive spiral".

Isn't that beautiful?

My pleasure beloved! Wow, I love what you've written here. I LOVE studying all kinds of stuff
    (old school studying/learning/investigating, not because I "have to" but because I LOVE to study a variety of wide/diverse/unusual subjects and "stuff") and your reply so reminded me of my studies on spirals--your comment about "An adaptive spiral" especially means a lot to me, because a few years ago, I was studying about "spirals"...so very thought-provoking and eye-opening my study of spiral was. Here's a wee bit of what I learned about "spirals" and a whole LOT more...
    What is the Fibonacci sequence and where does it derive from? Why do we find it everywhere around us, from nature to art?
    https://www.learning-mind.com/fibonacci-sequence/

THE FIBONACCI SEQUENCE, SPIRALS AND THE GOLDEN MEAN
    https://math.temple.edu/~reich/Fib/fibo.html

I found studying spirals and Fibonacci's work on spirals absolutely mega interesting/fascinating. Spirals are just EVERYWHERE and so, ummmm...WOW! Again, your reply/comment is so like you...cool beans (as "they" say). Thank you my friend!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Not sure why, but when I clicked on this thread I ended up on pg 33 & there were several comments on anger. Interestingly, anger is a secondary emotion that has other feelings underneath. Hurt, frustration, helplessness. So if a person can figure out why they are feeling hurt, frustrated or helpless then it can help to dispel the anger. WE are so afraid of our anger, but it can be an indicator of something in our life that needs some attention. So when I am feeling angry for no apparent reason, I ask myself what I'm hurt etc about & it helps me figure myself out. Perhaps this method will help someone else.

It is really the unresolved anger that sits in layers within us that can wreak havoc with our well being...Anyhoo, just thought I'd share that little tidbit I learned from dealing with my own anger.

I live in a really small space 400 sq ft consisting of a bedroom kitchen/living area & bathroom. I moved from a rather large space & got rid of tons of stuff, but still have too many things. Some are beloved, paintings, antique mirrors & other antique pieces...I have rather large furniture so that does not help. The real problem I have is knicky knacky stuff that has some sentimental attachment for me. I know that this space I currently live in is only an in between place & don't want to get too far on the getting-rid-of-stuff bandwagon, but definitely feel congested & I know it creates some anxiety for me. It takes no time for my place to look like a bomb went off when a few things are out of place, but once I neaten it all up, it's like I can breathe again...so I'm pretty certain that if I could clear a few surfaces of "stuff" it would be cathartic.

SO, having said ALL THAT, I though about boxing up my beloved knicky knacks for a start & finding someone's basement to put them in.

I love the comments about not just tangible material clutter, but emotional clutter & toxic people cluttering our lives....It is ALL a process & we do what we can when we're ready to do it....

Anyway, glad I found this thread cause I need some help!!! in a few different areas.

Wow! Ive been sitting and stewing with some angry feelings/thoughts/negative self talk and have been having a hard time working thru it...which has been frustrating for my usual eternal optimist self. Your post had got me digging deeper to find whats hurting right now so I can honor it and work thru it. Thank you!!!

It’s interesting you should mention this. Because I was doing that too. A few days ago, I was talking in my head to a few people who hurt me, whose views I just don’t get... but after awhile, I knew I was just fanning the flames. The ego LOVES to get riled up, makes it feel so important, and we keep feeding it with our thoughts, that mostly aren’t even true.
    Thanks for bringing this up. I changed my thinking when I mediated and also listened to Maya Angelou’s poem ‘Still I rise”. Xoxo

{{{{ Hugs }}}} That you get/are getting this is HUGE and just so excellent! YAY YOU beloved!!!!!
    o:)<3o:)
  • Orphia

You'll like this:

"An adaptive spiral".

Isn't that beautiful?

My pleasure beloved! Wow, I love what you've written here. I LOVE studying all kinds of stuff
    (old school studying/learning/investigating, not because I "have to" but because I LOVE to study a variety of wide/diverse/unusual subjects and "stuff") and your reply so reminded me of my studies on spirals--your comment about "An adaptive spiral" especially means a lot to me, because a few years ago, I was studying about "spirals"...so very thought-provoking and eye-opening my study of spiral was. Here's a wee bit of what I learned about "spirals" and a whole LOT more...
    What is the Fibonacci sequence and where does it derive from? Why do we find it everywhere around us, from nature to art?

I found studying spirals and Fibonacci's work on spirals absolutely mega interesting/fascinating. Spirals are just EVERYWHERE and so, ummmm...WOW! Again, your reply/comment is so like you...cool beans (as "they" say). Thank you my friend!

You're on my wavelength! :heart: xx

The Fibonacci Spiral is exactly what I thought of when I read the words "An Adaptive Spiral"

I have a Fibonacci Spiral as my artist's logo, plus as a beloved pair of earrings.

xx

As each day passes, we make appropriate and sustainable growth, change, and habits that beautify the overall picture.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

You'll like this:

"An adaptive spiral".

Isn't that beautiful?

You're on my wavelength! :heart: xx

The Fibonacci Spiral is exactly what I thought of when I read the words "An Adaptive Spiral"

I have a Fibonacci Spiral as my artist's logo, plus as a beloved pair of earrings.

xx

As each day passes, we make appropriate and sustainable growth, change, and habits that beautify the overall picture.

How cool is that?!? VERY COOL! <3o:)<3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!